dt770 super quick impressions (and my plans for the future!)
Aug 6, 2007 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kukrisna

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All,

So I just had a few minutes of free time at my studio since my supervisor is out and I did all my work for the day, and he happened to have a well burnt in DT770 lying around and yes I know, driving them straight out of my macbook pro is not the ideal but it gave me a quick idea of the house sound.

Yes, lots of bass (i listened to a few classical tracks), though very realistic mids (i thought the tonality was great), and just missing those highs (i.e. details etc). I don't recall the K701 w/Presonus Central Station since im out in LA working till the end of August and my rig is all the way back in NYC, but I think once I go back I'm gonna quickly demo the HD650 and DT880 (buy it, burn in for 50-100 hours, quick listen, return what I don't want) on my rig vs. the K701. Then since I have to go back to college a week after I get back, I think I might order a D5000 and/or W5000 and demo them again vs. whatever I'll have at that time. I think the K701 is the only can with high burn-in requirements so I think I should be okay.

Will keep you all posted! Hopefully I'll just end up with one headphone in the end (my goal) and hopefully it'll be a closed one (so I don't disturb my roomate late night). Which, I hope, won't be the W5000 as it'll break my wallet and make me best buddies with all the creditors.

But yeah, DT770 - too much bass, not enough highs/details, great tonality/mids, soundstage, and separation. Which makes me really eager to try the DT880. And all those other cans.

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which makes me really eager to try the DT880.

Joooooiiin uuuuuuusssssss!!!
plainface.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 11
I really have to try the DT770 because everyone says they have too much bass. When I listen to techno and drum and bass there's no such thing as too much bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 11
Glad to see you are going to try many different flavors of headphones. That's the best way to get what you like, with first hand experience.

Should be interesting to see what you end up with.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joooooiiin uuuuuuusssssss!!!
plainface.gif

haha i'll do my best - you never know with this hobby

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see you are going to try many different flavors of headphones. That's the best way to get what you like, with first hand experience.

Should be interesting to see what you end up with.

right on - you still at UMass?

and yeah - eventually i think i'll plateau with a DAC1 and an amp from Heed or Headamp and a sub $1000 can

and then that's when i slowly save my money for the big guys - but that's a good few years down the line at least - it'll probably be 1-2 years till i get the DAC1 and amp...i'll concentrate on cans now since the Presonus is a decent setup for right now

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

right on - you still at UMass?

Yup.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup.
biggrin.gif

MINIMEET! - esp if i bring some new gear along haha

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

MINIMEET! - esp if i bring some new gear along haha

Yea, that sounds fun!
I should be all moved in by the 2'nd, so I am free on the 3'rd or on weekends.

Aug 7, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by locu64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really have to try the DT770 because everyone says they have too much bass. When I listen to techno and drum and bass there's no such thing as too much bass
smily_headphones1.gif

funny - those are the two genres that I listen to almost exclusively, on my pair of DT770-80s. Yes you have to try these phones (coupled with an amp of course).
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 11
hrmm - due to financial reasons i think i'll wait on trying out the new phones till winter break - this way i'll also have some more time too and not in such a rush - though who knows, circumstances may change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back