DT770 Pro 80 mods (dynamat extreme...blue tac damping change in SQ)
Apr 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Basically is there any cheap ways to improve the stock sound from my beloved cans...BTW im a basshead and the quantity of bass is not an issue for me, I actually EQ it up even further 
basshead.gif

So Im interested in doing some sort of Mod to my DT770´s to try and improve the sound...I have heard allot of people saying do a blue tac mod etc but there is no real guide/tutorial on how to do it...Not sure how much to put on where abouts to put it...if i should apply it as one disc or individual blobs etc 

So any info on that matter would be very much appreciated, also Im wondering how much of an improvement a re-cable makes...I cant afford to get the darth beyers/terminator v4 mod done to them so something a little cheaper is very appealing for me! 

Someone has reccomended leather pads so Im wondering if someone could comment on the SQ differences there too :D

Thanks all, BTW i have no soldering Iron (but engineer company round the corner that I could ask them to help me out...i did work experience there so I kinda knwo some of them) at home I just have basic stuff like drill etc so may be limited to what I can do personally but could send it to someone who could!

Cheers 

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 14
Cummon someone must know how much or where to put the blue tac 
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 14
This thread should help.
Just throw the blu-tac on there on the rears of the drivers without covering or obstructing any holes of any kind (white part, I assume).  Dynamat Xtreme is even better for this kind of thing.

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
This thread should help.
Just throw the blu-tac on there on the rears of the drivers without covering or obstructing any holes of any kind (white part, I assume).  Dynamat Xtreme is even better for this kind of thing.

Great...thanks for that mate! 

Will look into getting some of that dynamat then...was wondering if anyone has experience with this mod and if it changes the sound, if so how?

Also do you glue this on, and would you cover the whole of the cup with it?

Thanks for your help mate I appreciate it! 

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 14
No glue required and I recommend that you not cover the entire cup with it, only the back of each driver.
You should notice some improvement in bass control, a cleaner sound all throughout from bass to highs, less or reduced frequency peaks, less harshness, and you may even get increased clarity and detail as well as improved imaging.  These are the changes that I have observed in headphones in general with this kind of modification.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
No glue required and I recommend that you not cover the entire cup with it, only the back of each driver.
You should notice some improvement in bass control, a cleaner sound all throughout from bass to highs, less or reduced frequency peaks, less harshness, and you may even get increased clarity and detail as well as improved imaging.  These are the changes that I have observed in headphones in general with this kind of modification.

Right Ok will do...so put about the amount as the green disk of foam on this website, or more? http://redsecta.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-80-mod-pt-ii/

I have also just seen this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/246011/beyer-dt770-mod-for-more-detail-try-it and ideas on that?

thanks for your help youve been great! 

Also to anyone that has heard the leather pads, are they worth it over the velour ones? (Im a basshead so more bass is fine by me :p haha)

Thanks again 

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 14
Less.

Perhaps you misunderstood, I mean for you to add it here (circled in red):

Not on the cups right behind the drivers, I mean the backside of each driver.  This is where you add blu-tac or Dynamat on any dynamic headphone for the changes in sound that I described.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Less.

Perhaps you misunderstood, I mean for you to add it here (circled in red):

Not on the cups right behind the drivers, I mean the backside of each driver.  This is where you add blu-tac or Dynamat on any dynamic headphone for the changes in sound that I described.

Ahhhh i see...thanks for clearing that one up then LOL 
L3000.gif

Wont that cover up that hole though...or is that the whole point haha, I have also seen people put dynamat lining the cups...is that wrong then, or to just increase isolation, and how comes that guy added the felt disc thing in the cups, shoul i throw some dynamat in there too?

Thanks for being patient with me here 
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #9 of 14
You can try adding dynamat to the cups if you want.  Like I said before, add the stuff without covering up any holes.

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I just saw this thread so if its anything similar to the changes there putting the dynamat on the driver will decrease bass...no?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/299627/how-to-build-one-of-the-worlds-finest-dynamic-headphones-markl-denon-ah-d5000-mods

Thanks mate 

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 14
Never.  As long as you do not cover any holes or vents of any kind.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Never.  As long as you do not cover any holes or vents of any kind.

you said with the dynamat there will be  "some improvement in bass control" does this mean a tightening up of bass and therefore a reduction?

Thanks for your help...just want to try and get a better idea of what it will sound like as its non reversible :D 

Cheers!

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Tightening up without reduction in quantity.

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 14
350x263px-LL-475dd40b_03485723098760249.jpeg

Also should I put dynamat on the ring out side of the red circle...where the smaller holes are? but without covering them up!

Quote:
Tightening up without reduction in quantity.

Ahh...well I think i will order in some dynamat extreme then...is the cheaper stuff the same or best to go for the extreme one?

Have you done this to Beyer DT770?

Cheers mate 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back