DT770, Penguin or Mini3?
Apr 16, 2010 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

superwario89

Head-Fier
hi all, i currently have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium 250ohm cans.

at first i tried them with a PA2V2 and thought it was pretty good, then i plugged in the penguin amp with the gain set to high, and what a difference it made.

so now i'm starting to wonder, if i get a high performance Mini3 built by misterX, would it make them sound even better still? (would i need to ask for anything custom on the Mini3, like specific gain settings or different caps or opamps?)

thank you everyone for the help!!
darthsmile.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 10
I have a premium Mini^3 built by Ying at YBM, another builder endorsed by Ti on the AMB site (as is misterX).

I have 880/250s (my 770s are 600 ohm, so that's not a good match for the Mini^3), and I just tried them (with a 1/4 to 1/8 converter) ... they sound GREAT with the Mini^3 (source is a 5.5G iPod using one of Craig/Whiplash's fancy LODs). Really fine.

I'll be in NE Philly on Saturday Apr. 24th about lunch time -- PM me if you want to meet at a Starbucks or DD or diner and try your phones with my Mini^3. If you don't mind being seen in public with an old guy I can certainly afford the time (I am there to visit my 92-year old Mom, good son that I am).

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a premium Mini^3 built by Ying at YBM, another builder endorsed by Ti on the AMB site (as is misterX).

I have 880/250s (my 770s are 600 ohm, so that's not a good match for the Mini^3), and I just tried them (with a 1/4 to 1/8 converter) ... they sound GREAT with the Mini^3 (source is a 5.5G iPod using one of Craig/Whiplash's fancy LODs). Really fine.

I'll be in NE Philly on Saturday Apr. 24th about lunch time -- PM me if you want to meet at a Starbucks or DD or diner and try your phones with my Mini^3. If you don't mind being seen in public with an old guy I can certainly afford the time (I am there to visit my 92-year old Mom, good son that I am).

thanks for the reply, i will send you a pm when i know if i'm free or not, because i would really love to try the mini^3!!

anyone else have any more input?

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 10
The Mini3 will be a step up but whether you will be able to hear the difference, as you obviously did with your previous upgrades, is another matter.
I know I'll be stating the obvious here but you really do have to go and listen to a unit or find someone who has both or comparable components to share their opinion.

Out of interest, does anyone know how much Mr X or others charges to make a Mini3. It's be interesting to see what the price step-up is.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyArea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Mini3 will be a step up but whether you will be able to hear the difference, as you obviously did with your previous upgrades, is another matter.
I know I'll be stating the obvious here but you really do have to go and listen to a unit or find someone who has both or comparable components to share their opinion.

Out of interest, does anyone know how much Mr X or others charges to make a Mini3. It's be interesting to see what the price step-up is.

yes i plan on hearing a mini3 this weekend thanks to wavoman, so i'll post my findings when i'm back

as far as pricing goes, MisterX quoted me 118 shipped for a mini3 from him, however i've heard other ones being between 120-160... i think a lot of it depends on the faceplates as well, because the custom ingraved ones cost more

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 10
bump for more info

also, anyone know what the differences are in the MisterX mini3 vs the YBM mini3?

thanks all

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 10
Why not ask MisterX? He is very knowledgeable and honest. No sales pitch nonsense. Ask about swing voltage. I have both the penguin and mini^3. Big improved difiference in sq. It will work.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not ask MisterX? He is very knowledgeable and honest. No sales pitch nonsense. Ask about swing voltage. I have both the penguin and mini^3. Big improved difiference in sq. It will work.

i have thought about asking MisterX, but i feel like i dont understand enough yet to be able to ask questions that would really help me...

i'm tried searching this entire forum with the native search function, and i did it with google as well. i haven't been able to turn up much of anything in terms of differences between amps from different makers.

thanks for the info about the mini3 sounding better than the penguin! i'm trying a YBM amp on saturday, so that should help me quite a bit!

thanks everyone, keep the info coming if you got any

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #10 of 10
well Wavoman let me try his mini3 (built by Ying at YBM, with a gain of 3), and all i could say was wow. the sound was incredible, and i will be getting a mini3 at some point thanks to the listening session.

A really big thank you goes to Wavoman, he let my try the mini3, along with his own imod, lod, and his personal music tracks. he also brought two other pairs of headphones along. He was such a great guy to meet! Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back