DT770 leather pads?
Oct 20, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 18

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Posts
3,000
Likes
10
I assume you realize that Denon D2000 earpads are Vinyl.

Velour should be chosen for open or semi-open headphones like dt880 and dt990 - as they are best for the sound quality.

However, when you get to dt770 - Genuine Leather is absolutely the best choice.

Yes, I have owned and experimented with all of the aforementioned headphones. Sold the Denon.........and have retained dt990/600 w/Velours, and 4 variations of Darths/Terminator (all outfitted with Gen. Leather earpads). Also AKG k340 modded have Velours on them.......unfortunately, with Grado you don't have such options
frown.gif
......foam......flats for me.
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 18

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Posts
141
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you realize that Denon D2000 earpads are Vinyl.

Velour should be chosen for open or semi-open headphones like dt880 and dt990 - as they are best for the sound quality.

However, when you get to dt770 - Genuine Leather is absolutely the best choice.

Yes, I have owned and experimented with all of the aforementioned headphones. Sold the Denon.........and have retained dt990/600 w/Velours, and 4 variations of Darths/Terminator (all outfitted with Gen. Leather earpads). Also AKG k340 modded have Velours on them.......unfortunately, with Grado you don't have such options
frown.gif
......foam......flats for me.



Does the leather have the same "firm" feel that the velor has? The denon's I have were bought used, with plenty of burn in, and I LOVE how soft the pads are. I had ATH-A series a while back, and they were not as comfortable as I'd say the denon's are.

Would they feel as plesant, if not soft as the Denon pads? I head the leather pads also clean up the bass a little. I do consider myself a bass head, as I love how much bass comes out of the DT's, but at times they stumble :O

Thanks!
beyersmile.png
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 18

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Posts
2,575
Likes
16
Stock velour of DT 770 sound better and more comfy.

Quote:

Velour should be chosen for open or semi-open headphones like dt880 and dt990 - as they are best for the sound quality.


But there're isolating velour pads such as DT 770's, AKG K271's and non-isolating - Dt 880 and 990. Those are crazy difference.
Leather feels and looks(and smells!) much better though and a tad more isolating.
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 18

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Posts
141
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stock velour of DT 770 sound better and more comfy.


But there're isolating velour pads such as DT 770's, AKG K271's and non-isolating - Dt 880 and 990. Those are crazy difference.
Leather feels and looks(and smells!) much better though and a tad more isolating.



thanks for you input!
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 18

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Posts
3,000
Likes
10
Saying dt770 and k271 Velours are isolating and dt880 and dt990 Velours are non-isolating is pure insanity. The materials are exactly the same......same type of foam cores, ssame type of construction, and same velour covers. Take a few apart and you will see the folly of that statement.
Furthermore, I put Gen. Leather on closed headphones because of SQ AND feel/appearance.
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 18

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Posts
141
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saying dt770 and k271 Velours are isolating and dt880 and dt990 Velours are non-isolating is pure insanity. The materials are exactly the same......same type of foam cores, ssame type of construction, and same velour covers. Take a few apart and you will see the folly of that statement.
Furthermore, I put Gen. Leather on closed headphones because of SQ AND feel/appearance.



Forgive me but I'm not following-

So the velor pads on the DT770's are isolate better than the velor pads on the Dt880's, even though they're the same?

DT770 velor pads vs leather, which isolate better?
[If I follow correctly, the leathers]. Isolation isnt big for me, but it's a plus! And would you say the leathers feel not as firm, as the DT770 velor pads? Would you say the Leather pads for the DT's are as soft as the D2000 pads?
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 18

smallmouth

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Posts
94
Likes
0
The leather pads available for the DT770 are really nice. I consider them more comfortable than the stock velour.

The pads on the D2000 pads are pleather. They're still soft, but not as nice as the DT770 leather.

The DT770 leather pads provide more isolation than the stock velour, but I wouldn't say they change the sound.

That said, they're expensive and difficult to put on.
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 18

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Posts
141
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by smallmouth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The leather pads available for the DT770 are really nice. I consider them more comfortable than the stock velour.

The pads on the D2000 pads are pleather. They're still soft, but not as nice as the DT770 leather.

The DT770 leather pads provide more isolation than the stock velour, but I wouldn't say they change the sound.

That said, they're expensive and difficult to put on.



Good to know, very good to know. Thanks! BTW, what makes them so hard to put on and off? ::goes to google::
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 18

smallmouth

Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Posts
94
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by the rev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know, very good to know. Thanks! BTW, what makes them so hard to put on and off? ::goes to google::


Taking the pads off is easy enough. But putting them on is sort of a pain. There's very little flex in the lip of the pad to get it around the cup. It's not awful, but it's not fun.
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 18

BushGuy

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Posts
3,000
Likes
10
The easiest way is to invert the lip, put in position, then work the lip down as you work yourself around the perimeter.
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 18

Gollie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Posts
355
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The easiest way is to invert the lip, put in position, then work the lip down as you work yourself around the perimeter.


I just received DT770 leather pads today and I used this technique. It was not an easy process, but not hard either; more frustrating that anything else.

Patients is needed more than anything else.

I'm listening for a change in sound but maybe I need to let my tubes heat up a bit more as I'm not hearing anything different at first listen. The bass might be a little bit more punchy but I think it is more due to the better isolation.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 18

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Posts
2,575
Likes
16
Quote:

Saying dt770 and k271 Velours are isolating and dt880 and dt990 Velours are non-isolating is pure insanity. The materials are exactly the same......


No, Dt 770 foam are stiffier, maybe there're some inner chamber under the velour which provide isolation, like in AKG k271 velours.
DT 770 and DT 880\990 pads jhave even different part numbers.
DT 770 pads
Dt 880\990 pads
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 18

BigTony

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Posts
983
Likes
13
ummm, Velour or leather pads for DT770's.
I love the comfort of the velour, like a pillow on my head, but people keep saying the SQ is better/different with the leather.
I looked on Beyers website and saw only velour... where did you get the leather pads from?
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 18

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Posts
12,470
Likes
34
Location
Virginia
I also believe that 770 velour differs from my 880 velour. I remember trying the velour from C-Pads on my 880 and they sounded bad...much like my beyer leather pads on 880. I don't know which velour pads Larry uses but I assume they aren't 880 pads.

I do prefer leather on my Darth Beyers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top