DT770, astro mixamp, fiio dac/amp? (mostly gaming, setup help/recommendations)
Jun 3, 2014 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zero2005

New Head-Fier
so, i've done a bit of searching for the past few weeks, need a new setup, coming from lowly gaming headsets. my current setup is a logitech G930 wireless headset. i was mostly impressed when i first started using this headset, coming from basic computer speakers and cheapy earbuds etc.

i am in the military, and on the road ALOT so portability is a must. also, privacy is key, as i dont like when people listen in on what im watching or playing, or when people are trying to sleep.

the only headphones i've come across seem to be the DT770's, and i've been contemplating the 250ohm version, because they're closed back, and the reviews seem to be very good for the price bracket.

now, i've also seen alot of people recommending the astro mixamp for gaming. not really sure what this does, but from what i can tell is that it allows you to differentiate between the voice channel from say skype or ventrillo/teamspeak, and game noise. it also seems to include some sort of surround? [dolby?] if so i definately want surround.

now, i've also read that these headphones require a bit of power, and thus require an amp. i've heard the astro can amp the DT770's enough, but you lose the microphone function? that leaves me with the option of adding an additional amp.

for mic, i plan on just getting a separate boom mic and either velcroing it or using a magnet to attach it. does the mic go to the astro? or do i just go straight to the laptop?

before i came across the astro, i was contemplating getting a fiio e17, however if i get the astro i might as well step "down" or "sideways" or whatever to the e07k or e11 and save the 40-50$.

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? should i get the astro, skip the astro, or get something else? e17? e07k? what do i do about surround?

keep in mind, i'm trying to stay as portable as reasonable. i currently carry with me a 17" alienware laptop that weighs nearly 11lbs, so a bit of extra weight isnt a problem, but space is. and eventually i plan on upgrading and going with a portable mini-itx setup.

all in all, i want to keep the budget down as much as possible, basically under 350-400$ for everything. the DT770's are about 175$ on amazon, so that should leave me with enough to get the astro or another mixamp if needed, plus a fiio.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 17
It's my opinion, but 3D is nothing more than marketing hype to me. (it's all lies)
Unless there are headphones that are the size of a golf kart wheel with 3 identical separate drivers in each ear for each audio channel, then it's not 3D nor surround.

Most manufacturers use cheap sound distortion algorithms that play with the shape of your ears to give you the illusion of 3D but it completely destroys the fidelity of the sound and it's still not real 3D because it uses only 2 channels audio.

If you're going for the portability, I wouldn't get a DAC. there's too much hassle with cables and power (be it power bricks, or battery charging+usb cable)

For privacy, you need closed cans headphones. (not open back)
To avoid the need for DAC or AMP, get ones that are less than 60ohm.
Gaming mics come with magnet or double sided tape solutions built-in so they can be used with any pair of closed can headphones.
Avoid at all cost headphones that are designed for iphone/ipad even if the built-in mic seams appealing. check the label on the packaging.

I didn't give you any specific brand or model recommendation, because frankly it's all a matter of taste. I have a pair of Sony's XB600 that are perfect for portability and privacy but there are so many other great choices out there...

BTW, the DT770 don't fold so they're not ideal for portability.

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 17
sorry, by portability i meant like no fiio e9 desktop stuff. i'd prefer to keep stuff slim so that it fits in the pockets of my laptop bag without being damaged. the DT770's are pretty much set at this point unless someone has another recommendation i can look into. like i said, i've been using logitech G930's, which are fairly big, and dont fold, have wires all over the place because the wireless function only lasts a few hours after the initial week of battery usage.

also, i have no qualms about runnin an external dac/amp IF needed. it seems like the DT770's are very highly marked for the bracket im looking for, but if i get the 250 ohm which seems to be the #1 rated of the available ohm options. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 17
I see, but I think the first decision you need to make is whether you want Gaming audio with 3D sound which some high end gaming headsets can actually provide (they have optical or coaxial input for 7.1 sound) or just the best portable headphones that you can also do gaming with.

If you use any sort of DAC, you'll lose the 3D for gaming since conventional DACs are 2 channel only (left and right).

You have plenty of choices in the $300 range, including the high end ASTRO gaming headset that already has its builtin 7.1 surround sound DAC and microphone. (no need for an extra DAC)

EDIT: If you're set on the DT770, you'll definitely need the E11 with it. If you want better sound and less noise/interference, get the FIIO E17 instead of the E11.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 17
what about the steelseries wireless H? i've heard mad reviews for a wireless headset, that it almost bridges the gap between low end gaming headset and middle/high end audiophile headphones. the mic on it apparently is pretty crap though.

they've been compared to the astro a40/a50

but honestly, i still want proper audio. dont really care how i get there. i just cant take these crappy logitechs anymore. i really wanna throw them against the wall. as soon as i get whatever replaces them, they're getting obliterated by a full mag of 300 blackout.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 17
My setup is NAD HP50 + V-Moda Boompro mic/cord + Mixamp Pro. That's the best balance I've found for good sound quality and efficient gaming after going through at least a half dozen other audiophile options. Gaming companies like Steelseries tend not to have the best audio quality in their headphones, especially when compared to other companies with decades in experience and design of pro audio and audiophile 'phones.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 17
i'm looking at the steelseries 9H, which is a 32ohm headset [as far as i can tell, its the wired version of the "wireless H"]

it runs for ~150$, no need for a dac/amp, comes with dolby support for "virtual" surround blah blah blah. all integrated into 1.

this seems to be the only other option, other than maybe astro a40/a50's

i'm still contemplating the DT770 w/ dac/amp though.

really wish someone had a comparison. i hate how there is the huge gap between the two, where you have no idea whats what.

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 17
OK here's what I recommend you get:

Best headphones under in the $100 to $200 range: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U

DAC (optional): http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Toslink-/dp/B008D2OPG2/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401833795&sr=1-24&keywords=FiiO+DAC

Jun 3, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #9 of 17
You'd get better audio quality out of a Sennheiser HD280 for less than the 9H. For a bit more you could get a Sennheiser G4me zero, which would sound better even than the DT770 (at least more neutral in frequency response).

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 17
  I'm looking at the steelseries 9H, which is a 32ohm headset [as far as i can tell, its the wired version of the "wireless H"]
it runs for ~150$, no need for a dac/amp, comes with Dolby support for "virtual" surround blah blah blah. all integrated into 1.
this seems to be the only other option, other than maybe Astro a40/a50's
I'm still contemplating the DT770 w/ dac/amp though.
really wish someone had a comparison. i hate how there is the huge gap between the two, where you have no idea whats what.

The Creative Labs Surround Omni 5.1 USB sound card is around $80.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones to me would be the best value.
Beyers DT770 are fairly rugged headphones

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #12 of 17

Why would he get an additional 5.1 sound card to use with stereo headphones?

Most "gaming" headsets are stereo headphones, it's the sound cards that converts 6 or 8-channels of gaming audio into a virtual headphone surround sound that is sent to the "stereo" headphones.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #14 of 17
just ordered the DT770 pro and the Fiio E07K. we'll see how it turns out. i'll use the razer surround sound to test if i need it or not, or just run in "headphone" mode. Whichever i like better i'll stick with.

has to be a good upgrade compared to my logitech G930, i ordered a labtec LVA 7330 to stick to the side with two sided tape.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 17
  You don't need an additional soundcard to convert surround sound to stereo. it's done automatically by windows.

Cool, where are the Windows settings for converting surround sound to stereo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back