dt770 and stx amp or o2 SQ
Jul 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
Hi im considering purchasing the o2 amplifier for my dt770 but will i notice any noticeable gains in sound quality when i have the stx amp ?

The Essence STX and the O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifiers can both drive 600-Ohm headphones.
So if you already have the STX, really no need to get an O2.

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 16
The stx amp is pretty bad, but the dac is good. I upgraded my amp to a bravo ocean and it was a night and day difference even with 32ohm headphones.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
The stx amp is pretty bad, but the dac is good. I upgraded my amp to a bravo ocean and it was a night and day difference even with 32ohm headphones.

Did you try the STX amp against any other SS amps?

I mean the tube amp may just sound different, but not necessarily better. There is also not mention of the output impedance of the Bravo, is it suitable for low impedance phones at all?

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Sennheiser headphones sound veiled through the stx, but not through other proper amps.

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Sennheiser headphones sound veiled through the stx, but not through other proper amps.

I pose that you state your opinion as fact and I counter this by stating that I absolutely disagree with this statement. None of the headphones I have sound 'veiled through the STX'.

You seem to imply that the STX has a hidden ability called 'veil' that it activates with any and all Sennheiser headphones. I personally find that quite incredible.

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 16
1. It is only with sennheiser headphones.

2. It is a known consequence of inadequate amping, not a property of the card. Everybody knows this.

3. Volume and amping are barely related which is a common misconception.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Unless you can give a clear, objective definition of "proper amping", against which the allegedly pretty bad STX amp can be compared, and confirm that the subjective difference still exists under controlled conditions (accurate level matching etc.), your claim is basically just FUD. You would not be the first one to hear a "night and day difference" that does not actually exist, simply because of bad testing methods and/or psychological reasons.

To answer the OP's question, it would probably not make much real difference with the 250 and 600 Ω versions of the headphone (especially since both amplifiers have about the same maximum output voltage). The 32 Ω would be technically better on the O2 (mainly because of its lower output impedance), but that does not necessarily mean that you would actually prefer the O2.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 16
I rest my case. Your knowledge is theoretical and you are unaware of the differences amps can make in reality. Either that or you just don't have good enough ears :)

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I rest my case. Your knowledge is theoretical and you are unaware of the differences amps can make in reality. Either that or you just don't have good enough ears
smily_headphones1.gif

volume matching !! , blind test
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #12 of 16
You really don't understand logic. Volume does increase with most forms of amping. But that isn't the primary purpose. Going by your logic even a stx can run a hd 800 with ease.

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
You really don't understand logic. Volume does increase with most forms of amping. But that isn't the primary purpose. Going by your logic even a stx can run a hd 800 with ease.

Yes it can! Why wouldn't it? Just because the HD800 offers great sound quality and is technologically very advanced, does not mean it is hard to amplify. Those things have nothing to do with eachother. The load it presents to the amp is still very similar to other 300 ohm headphones.

What is YOUR logic? The HD800 is very expensive so it requires an expensive amp?

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
I rest my case. Your knowledge is theoretical and you are unaware of the differences amps can make in reality. Either that or you just don't have good enough ears
smily_headphones1.gif

You did not reply to this post in another thread. Why don't you take the opportunity to demonstrate your superior hearing under controlled conditions, or explain your advanced knowledge about amplifiers ? I am sure there are people on the Sound Science forum who would be interested in a serious discussion regarding this topic.

So far, you have not shown more than repeating popular "audiophile" beliefs, anecdotal evidence from non-level matched sighted listening (something that has been proven to be unreliable for a long time), and attacks like "you don't have good enough ears" or "you really don't understand logic". But no real evidence to back up your claims.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 16

Still complaining about the STX? Just because you "discovered" tube audio with the Bravo Audio Ocean, that makes the STX bad? Of course the Bravo Audio Ocean will color the sound, whereas the STX aims towards solid state transparency. If that's what you like, no problem with that. But trying to offer negative testimonials of the STX based on experience with the tube amp is like saying apples are bad because they don't taste like oranges. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back