DT770 + amp for notebook
Apr 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

huba_99

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

So I bought a pair of Senn's 595. I wasn't satisfied with the bass, and I didn't like the fact that they were open. Therefore I've decided to go up a step in price range.

I've been recommended to buy DT770 - would they be good for isolated gaming? Is there any other phones I should consider?

Furthermore, when buying such relatively expensive headphones is it then not necessesary to buy an amp?

If so, you should know that I'm going to use the phones for my notebook therefore I'm seeking to buy an amp that can be inserted in the USB-port like X-fi Go! from creative - or if it's possible (I WOULD PREFER THIS) one that can be inserted in a "pro magic gate" (so that it isn't visible)

Thank you guys!

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 15
Furthermore, which should I buy?

BEYERDYNAMIC DT-770 PRO (250 OHM) 155,- Euro
BEYERDYNAMIC DT-770 PRO (80 OHM) - 155,- Euro
BEYERDYNAMIC DT-770 EDITION 2005 - 206,- Euro

Are the 2005 Edition really worth the extra 1/3 of the price?

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 15
If you are going to buy an Amp, maybe add the 600 ohm version to the list!

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 15
DT-770/80 has the most bass out of them. They are pretty colorful phones with great isolation and alright soundstage. Great cans for anything electric. Work alright without an amp too, amp just brings more soundstage and bangs the bass even more.
DT-770 2005 edition is more redefined and with much less bass and piercing highs. I personally couldn't stand the 2005 edition because they sound dull to me, then again, I am a basshead. These need an amp.
I haven't heard the Pro/250ohms.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 15
My 80ohm DT770's do pretty well unammped out of my laptop. But then I really just use them for movies.

I recommend getting a pair and if you're satisfied with the volume, you're set. If not then you can look at amps.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 15
I'm not a big fan of the DT770 Pro/80 (which is the most common one), especially at the price you mentioned. What is that, like $200? Yikes.

If you do get them, you're definitely going to want to get an amp for them as they are quite power hungry and sound very dull without one. And if you want to play them out of a portable, you may not even get enough volume.

My recommendation is to bypass them all together and get a better, cheaper set. Can you get the Denon D1001, or its cousin, the Creative Aurvana Live? They retail for about $150 but many places sell them for less than $100. Those are smaller, cheaper, much easier to drive, and sound better than the DT770 Pro/80. And they have the same amount of bass. You wouldn't need an amp with those, although they sound a bit better with a little Fiio E5, which would run you an extra $25.

Really, if you can find them, the JVC RX700 are better than both of these and don't need an amp at all, and are only $35. But they seem to be sold out everywhere at the moment, maybe discontinued.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 15
Just have to hop in and correct that the DT-770/80s are priced $100 and one should NOT worry about volume because there certainly is way plenty from even an iPod. Straight out of my XtremeMusic soundcard I need to have volume set on 30% and even on iPod I wouldn't need to have the volume set anywhere near max.

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 15
Hey Guys

Thanks for your inputs.

So status quo is that I'm stuck between the DT-770 and the JVC HA-RX900. I simply don't know which to take. The JVC is about half the price....

I'm seeking to get a good bass, and a headset that's good for gaming....

Which to take?

Btw. I still don't know if I should take the 80 Ohm or 250 Ohm (the bigger the better or?)

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 15
The JVC mentioned here looks quite interesting -- it's been a while since I've been on Head-Fi but the reviews on Amazon look good. Another one to consider that is easy to drive and doesn't need an amp is the Audio-Technica A700/A900. The A700 is $110 shipped from Amazon is a good deal imo, not to mention it doesn't need an amp to sound good. The A900 is a bit harder to find below ~$180. The AT's are recommended often for gaming especially since they have a good soundstage for being closed HP's. The DT770/80's definitely win for bass quantity though, however, as people mentioned, they really need an amp to shine.

You mentioned headset, you could check out the Sennheiser PC350 (looked to be a HD280 combined with a mic). It doesn't look as comfy as the headphones mentioned here, but it is a headset. I'd go for a comfortable headphone + seperate mic setup myself.

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Another for the M-50. They sound great unamped as well.

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #15 of 15
The most "ancient" v.3 Darths I have sound best with RSA P51 amp on my Alu m. MacBook - therefore it follows that it is your best choice for amping Dt770/80 Pro...........the dt770/80 Pro has been the pre-eminent choice for gaming. I would not choose it for music without modding.
The comment about them being "power hungry" is simply not true - but because good strong, punchy deep bass requires power with ANY headphone, you DO need a good quality amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back