dt770 (80ohms) first impressions
Mar 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SolomonPierce

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my dt770s today and I have to say I'm really pleased.  I've never had a bassy pair of headphones before so they're a nice change for my electronic music and pretty great on hip hop / rap I've tested with it (even though I don't care for most rap).  I have a total bithead on the way which I thought would be beneficial, but they're already pretty great out of my x-fi titanium sound card.  When I first got them around 11:00 today the bass was definitely there but pretty muddy.  I assumed that when I get the amp it would make the difference, but the past 10/11 hours of burn in has done wonders already.  I came home from work just now and I'm blow away by how much more crisp the bass is on these.  Really terrific, though I do notice the recessed mids people talk about (especially after coming from my hd598s).  Perfect for some of my european contemp. pop / electronic music, certainly shines in areas where the 598s shied (sp?) away,,, great complement to the Sennheisers.

Anyone have any tips regarding amping these?  I'd love to find an amp that can work well for these / 598s, and possibly future cans (whatever they may be).  Like I said I'm getting a bithead now just the time-being but still in the market for a more serious amp.  I have considered the Asgard but I wouldn't be averse to spending double the price of that if there is something better that can work well for a wider range of cans.

I'm pretty new to amping, have always got fairly high sensitivity / low imped cans.  I bought the E7/E9 combo but returned them because they hardly changed my cans and the E9 was causing popping distortion =/

Hoping for better luck with my bithead.  Lemme know what you think... And let's raise our glasses to Beyerdynamic for continuing to make their main line of headphones in Germany.  That is something I can really expect this day in age... might be sticking with Beyer in the future.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Keep an eye out for the new ODAC (Objective DAC) desktop headphone amplifier, that what I'm waiting on.
It's the O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier, that now comes with a built in DAC and is AC powered.
(typing this while listening with my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm using the Muse EH 6922 single tube headphone amplifier & the Essence STX's DAC).

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks again PurpleAngel, you always love to help me with my questions don't you haha.  I was on the amps forum asking similar stuff about my setup, didn't mean to do it again, just kinda wanted to say something other than commenting on how I like the new cans lol.

I might have to look into that.  I definitely want a desktop amp though, could care less about portable-ness all my listening is done in the same place.  It's okay though, I have plenty of time to think about it now while enjoying the new cans.  Hopefully they'll tide me over for a couple months at least!

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks again PurpleAngel, you always love to help me with my questions don't you haha.  I was on the amps forum asking similar stuff about my setup, didn't mean to do it again, just kinda wanted to say something other than commenting on how I like the new cans lol.
I might have to look into that.  I definitely want a desktop amp though, could care less about portable-ness all my listening is done in the same place.  It's okay though, I have plenty of time to think about it now while enjoying the new cans.  Hopefully they'll tide me over for a couple months at least!

Well, I am a know it all, without a life.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 7
haha that's fine, I've been spending way too much time here too since joining...

btw I'm starting to get a rumbling sound already.  I'm worried I hurt them, but I doubt it because I never go high enough to distort (and if I do I instantly turn the music down).  It's a rattling / vibrating inside of the right driver.  I took the whole right side apart, short of taking the glue off and prying the driver out.  I pulled out some fibers which were on the white paper membrane I think just from the membrane itself, there were no head hairs.  Other than that I don't know what's up.  It only happens on the right side when under 100hz and at -10db+ when watching the spectrum on foobar.  I don't listen to really bassy music often though I have a bit recently to test out these new cans.  Anyway any help you could give would be great.  I bought them new but they were from an Ebay seller so idk how I could go about using the warranty...

My only other question is if it's just that I'm not using an amp, just my x-fi titanium sound card (idk exact model).  I'm getting a total bithead in the mail soon, could that actually help with this?  I don't believe I had this last night, I think I listened to tracks which are now affected by it but I'm not sure.  Anyway, any ideas would be great.  I've already read up on countless other people with the problem, I don't think it's a hair but I hate to rip the driver out because I'd be scared of screwing up when putting it back in with new silicon.  I hope it's just a power issue because I'd hate to think they're faulty or I blew them out somehow, I'd find that hard to believe because these seem so rugged.  Anyway thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
haha that's fine, I've been spending way too much time here too since joining...
btw I'm starting to get a rumbling sound already.  I'm worried I hurt them, but I doubt it because I never go high enough to distort (and if I do I instantly turn the music down).  It's a rattling / vibrating inside of the right driver.  I took the whole right side apart, short of taking the glue off and prying the driver out.  I pulled out some fibers which were on the white paper membrane I think just from the membrane itself, there were no head hairs.  Other than that I don't know what's up.  It only happens on the right side when under 100hz and at -10db+ when watching the spectrum on foobar.  I don't listen to really bassy music often though I have a bit recently to test out these new cans.  Anyway any help you could give would be great.  I bought them new but they were from an Ebay seller so idk how I could go about using the warranty...

My only other question is if it's just that I'm not using an amp, just my x-fi titanium sound card (idk exact model).  I'm getting a total bithead in the mail soon, could that actually help with this?  I don't believe I had this last night, I think I listened to tracks which are now affected by it but I'm not sure.  Anyway, any ideas would be great.  I've already read up on countless other people with the problem, I don't think it's a hair but I hate to rip the driver out because I'd be scared of screwing up when putting it back in with new silicon.  I hope it's just a power issue because I'd hate to think they're faulty or I blew them out somehow, I'd find that hard to believe because these seem so rugged.  Anyway thanks in advance.

Send an email to Beyerdynamic USA, tell them when you bought the DT770 and who you bought it from and what the problem is.
Hopefully they are more into saving a customer then who he buys his Beyerdynamics from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back