DT770/80 vs HFI.550/700?
Feb 4, 2007 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Slaughter

1000+ Head-Fier
I am heading to guitar center tomorrow to pick up one of these 3 cans. I am hoping they will let me demo them, but if not, are the Ultrasones a better sealed can than the Beyers?

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am heading to guitar center tomorrow to pick up one of these 3 cans. I am hoping they will let me demo them, but if not, are the Ultrasones a better sealed can than the Beyers?

Thanks!

when i went there they wouldnt let me test out the beyers. the guy was a real prick.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, they usually are, but since they have a 30 day return policy and price match the internet, I don't mind the attitude.

Feb 4, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 6
We found that Guitar Centre in Vegas were really helpful.

My youngest had bought a Line 6 XT live at Ed Romans and we were asking about headphones. The guys at Ed Romans sent us to GS as they carried different branded cans.

My eldest listened to about 6 different cans before settling on the HD280 pro on sale at $99 US.

Since returning home, we bought a second set of HD280pro, from the net,for use in the music room.

So if you ever get to Las Vegas, Ed Romans is superb for hi end guitars and Guitar Centre were great for cans and Gibsons.

Both stores told us that they get shed loads of Brits buying toys to carry back over the pond. They seemed pleased to see Brit tourists, which was nice.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 6
Guitar Center also let me listen to the dt770/80. If I didn't hear it then, I probably would have bought the a900. Who knows how happy I would of been in that scenario
tongue.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 6
They had a demo pair of 770/80 there so I was able to try them out. The mids didn't impress me, but I took them anyway to try on my setup.

I have had them plugged in for a few hours and I really enjoy the low end for rap, r&b and pop. Obviously classical and such are not for these phones. One thing that disappointed me is that I just built a SOHA tube hybrid and vocals are very recessed with the 770, but sound great with my k501's. So now I have the 770s plugged into my CDP headphone out and they sound great. Mids are right where they should be, bass is tamed slightly compared to my bass heavy SOHA, and the CDP is a little brighter than my SOHA. I think my SOHA might not have the current to supply the low-z 770s. Now time to think about Darth, a solid state amp to build, and possibly some 880s/990s. Are the 770's worth $200, probably not, but with limited choices <$200 I guess I cant complain. Any the beyers cannot touch the comfort of the AKG's, maybe because I have big ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back