DT770 / 80 Upgrade
Oct 13, 2013 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Index

New Head-Fier
Looking into an upgrade from my current set of closed-cans: DT770/80. I loved these cans for the past 2 years (and probably many more years to come). However, I am now looking to upgrade. I was wondering if there were a pair of closed-cans that existed that improve the detail and mids of the DT770/80 without sacrificing the soundstage and bass that exists in the DT770/80.

I was wondering if there were a pair of cans that existed that improve the detail and mids of the DT770/80. I've heard about the Darth Beyers V6, they seem like a good upgrade. However, I've heard that the Darth Beyer V3's and V4's have head-shaking and ear-shaking bass, respectively. Now, I consider myself a bass-head, but I don't want my cans to have overwhelming bass. I was wondering if anyone with Darth Beyer experience (preferably V6's) can shed some more light. Perhaps compare them to stock DT770/80's.

Right now I have 2 sources: (Macbook Air 11" 2012) and 5.5 Gen Ipod. My current amp right now is the PA2V2. I am looking into purchasing a iBasso DX50 as my main DAP.

Budget: $800

Also, as you can see, I'm a complete noob to the audiophile world. So I apologize in advance for any trouble caused by my lack of expertise.

TL;DR: Noob looking for a set of closed-cans that improve detail and mids of the DT770/80, while keeping the soundstage and bass more or less unchanged.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you looked into the HE-400s? Well known for excellent bass in an open headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

I have, however they're open. If possible I would like to stick to a closed design. I'll make an edit to the original post.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 9
  Looking into an upgrade from my current set of closed-cans: DT770/80. I loved these cans for the past 2 years (and probably many more years to come).

TL;DR: Noob looking for a set of closed-cans that improve detail and mids of the DT770/80, while keeping the sound stage and bass more or less unchanged.

It would help to know what sources (and DAC/Amp) your plugging the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones into?

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 9
  It would help to know what sources (and DAC/Amp) your plugging the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones into?

Ah ok. Right now I have 2 sources: (Macbook Air 11" 2012) and 5.5 Gen Ipod. My current amp right now is the PA2V2. I am looking into purchasing a iBasso DX50 as my main DAP. I'll add this information to the original post.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 9
  Ah ok. Right now I have 2 sources: (Macbook Air 11" 2012) and 5.5 Gen IPod. My current amp right now is the PA2V2. I am looking into purchasing a iBasso DX50 as my main DAP. I'll add this information to the original post.

I would guess(?) the iBasso DX50 might improve the audio quality of the DT770s.
Maybe buy the iBasso DX50 first, see how the DT770s sound, then see about headphone upgrade.
If you could budget $300 (maybe less) for new headphones, I'm sure you could do better then the DT770s.
I would guess whatever price you sell the DT770s for would effect you headphone budget.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 9
General recommendations...

Any of the Denon Dx000 series. I think these are discontinued now, so they may be hard to find, but these are considered to be great closed headphones with awesome but not overwhelming bass. 

Mr. Speakers Mad Dog/ Alpha Dog. These are planar headphones that are neutral-ish. 

Fostex TH600. Similar to Denons. I believe Fostex makes the Denon drivers. 

There is much less variety in closed headphones than open headphones, this is all I can think of.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 9
  General recommendations...

Any of the Denon Dx000 series. I think these are discontinued now, so they may be hard to find, but these are considered to be great closed headphones with awesome but not overwhelming bass. 

Mr. Speakers Mad Dog/ Alpha Dog. These are planar headphones that are neutral-ish. 

Fostex TH600. Similar to Denons. I believe Fostex makes the Denon drivers. 

There is much less variety in closed headphones than open headphones, this is all I can think of.

Hmm the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog sounds really good from what the impressions thread says. Never tried a pair of planar cans before. I also like the fact I can get it single entry detachable. Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like 2 cans are in my list now:

Headphile Darth Beyers
Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back