DT770 80 or 250 ohms
Nov 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dcolaco

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed many times, but i'm still looking for more clarification. I've been looking to purchase my first set of quality mid range headphones and have narrowed it down to the DT770. My dilema is if i should chose the 80 or the 250. I can get the 250 for around $185 (in canada) at a local store where as the 80 is $229 shipped. Now i can use that extra cash to buy an amp for around 75 - 100 bucks. But that will come a bit later and i was wondering how major the difference in sound would be without an amp. There might be ocassions where i travel with them, but most of the time i will be using them at home. If i do travel i will be using my phone (Nexus 4) or a 2008 MacBook pro. Is it even worth it to run the 250's without an amp. In that case i would be forced to go with the 80. I was set on the 80 since it is more portable but the 250's are 40 bucks cheaper which i can put towards an amp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 3
I can't speak for 250ohms version's sound quality since I've never heard them, but you should be aware that the 250ohms come with a coiled cable while the 80ohms version comes with a straight cable. For many this may not be a factor, but thought I should mention this anyway just in case it is.

Really enjoyed the 80ohms versions of them while I had them though. They played well enough even unamped out of most sources I felt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back