DT770 80 or 250 ohm?
Feb 3, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #16 of 26
Sweet! I just ordered the DT770 32 ohm, I figure it's a really great headphone in that price range (and even higher haha). I was looking at the T70 but I've read reviews that it lacks bass and has a very neutral sound. I might get a portable DAC like the Dragonfly but I don't know how much difference that would make...

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 26
I have been driving a set of Momentums through an O2 amp for a while now and am happy with it, but I was at a pawn shop recently and buried beneath a bunch of beats/bose cans were a set of DT770-80's.  The lady had no idea who or what a "beyerdynamic" was, so I talked her all the way down to $50.  Man, I'm so happy I found them.  It all depends on music, but I find myself reaching for the DT770s more often than the Momentums.

I'll agree with previous posts that say even the 80 ohm version likes an amp.  I pushed them with my phone and iPod, and they sounded good, but once I plugged them into my X5, they sounded better.  Not a night/day difference, but noticeable.  I tried to compare them as objectively as possible.  Once I took them to work and plugged them into my O2, I was also very pleased.  I just ordered a Magni2U/Modi2U Schiit stack to play them through that'll be here tomorrow.

The DT770's definitely lack some midrange, but I find them to be a fun headphone.  I hope you like them as much as I do.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #18 of 26
  I have been driving a set of Momentums through an O2 amp for a while now and am happy with it, but I was at a pawn shop recently and buried beneath a bunch of beats/bose cans were a set of DT770-80's.  The lady had no idea who or what a "beyerdynamic" was, so I talked her all the way down to $50.  Man, I'm so happy I found them.  It all depends on music, but I find myself reaching for the DT770s more often than the Momentums.

I'll agree with previous posts that say even the 80 ohm version likes an amp.  I pushed them with my phone and iPod, and they sounded good, but once I plugged them into my X5, they sounded better.  Not a night/day difference, but noticeable.  I tried to compare them as objectively as possible.  Once I took them to work and plugged them into my O2, I was also very pleased.  I just ordered a Magni2U/Modi2U Schiit stack to play them through that'll be here tomorrow.

The DT770's definitely lack some midrange, but I find them to be a fun headphone.  I hope you like them as much as I do.

Fun headphone to mod :D. I did a detachable cable mod but messed up one of my drivers. I ended up buying 2 new 250 ohm drivers since I just got the C5D.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #19 of 26
Don't listen to the guy who is telling you to stay away from FiiO amps. They are great for what they are and for an amp/dac combo they are a steal for the price. Anyone will tell you that. 

However, I will not get a FiiO amp to drive either versions of the DT770s though, I would suggest a desktop solution.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #20 of 26

Fun headphone to mod :D. I did a detachable cable mod but messed up one of my drivers. I ended up buying 2 new 250 ohm drivers since I just got the C5D.

I've considered performing the detachable cable mod (I saw your thread on it), but since I only use them at my desk, the long cable isn't a huge issue.  Still though, it'd be nice to be detachable.  I figure that the cable might break someday, and then I'll do it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 26
  I've considered performing the detachable cable mod (I saw your thread on it), but since I only use them at my desk, the long cable isn't a huge issue.  Still though, it'd be nice to be detachable.  I figure that the cable might break someday, and then I'll do it.

The original cable wires are superrr thin and it's really not that difficult of a mod. Just be careful with the tiny wires that attach the prongs to the driver, I messed up one of those and had to order new drivers lol.

Mar 12, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 26
Hey, guys. I'm a Sennheiser person coming over to ask a quick question, as I dip my toe in the Beyer waters. The question is whether any of the DT770's can be driven without an amplifier (the 80 ohm or the 32 ohm LE?). I am planning on using my 770's partly for portable uses and I'd like to be able to do it some of the time without lugging an amp around as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #23 of 26
  Hey, guys. I'm a Sennheiser person coming over to ask a quick question, as I dip my toe in the Beyer waters. The question is whether any of the DT770's can be driven without an amplifier (the 80 ohm or the 32 ohm LE?). I am planning on using my 770's partly for portable uses and I'd like to be able to do it some of the time without lugging an amp around as well. Thanks in advance for your help!

You shouldn't have too much trouble.  It all depends on what you're using to drive them.  My Fiio X5 can drive the 80's without breaking a sweat, even at low gain.  My iPod classic can drive them, but you have to turn it up quite a bit.  If you're using something like an iPod a lot, I'd go with the 32ohm version.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 26
The 32 ohm is even poorly driven by my iPhone, computer can drive it no problem. Haven't tried 80, you can get some nice portable amps, I have the c5D which is an incredible Dac/Amp for the price range and one of the best portable of its kind. That can easily drive 250 and can theoretically drive 600s to a decent volume although it would be a tough drive haha.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #25 of 26
I second this. I have the DT770-250's with a Schiit Magni/Modi stack. That is incredible and is worth every penny. You can hear so much more in your music. The DT770's are incredible for the price and I cannot recommend these enough!
The bass is tight with this can, so that's an extra plus if you're a basshead!

Should you go for a mobile solution, maybe you should check out the Schiit Fulla and then go with the 80 ohm cans 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 26
  I second this. I have the DT770-250's with a Schiit Magni/Modi stack. That is incredible and is worth every penny. You can hear so much more in your music. The DT770's are incredible for the price and I cannot recommend these enough!
The bass is tight with this can, so that's an extra plus if you're a basshead!

Should you go for a mobile solution, maybe you should check out the Schiit Fulla and then go with the 80 ohm cans 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to all for their feedback!! I will incorporate your thoughts as I move forward with this purchase. Best to all--.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back