DT770/600ohm and SRH840
Jun 2, 2010 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

EraserXIV

Headphoneus Supremus
Was wondering if anyone ever heard both the DT770/600ohm and the SRH840 and could give some comparisons.

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 19
I have the DT770/600.
I had the SRH840.

I actually thought the SRH840 has a better sonic signature than the DT770, but they were unwearable due to their weight and headband design.
The DT770 is great. It's clear and detailed and very well isolated. The set I have has no bass... and that's why I'm comparing them with my newest... the D5000, which has too much boomy and resonant bass, so I'm in a bit of a quandary.

If I could have worn the SRH840 I would have kept them.

Another option which I did wind up keeping is the M50. I see you already have them... To me they are slightly V-shaped in sound, but not too bad. They are otherwise very comfortable (for me) and very true sounding. Bass is exaggerated but not too boomy. So if you agree with that description, you might find the others true as well. I found the SRH840 to be more natural and neutral than the M50.

Good luck.

shane

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 19
thanks for your opinion shane55.

i've looked at the headroom graphs and although they're somewhat useful, they don't compare with people who've actually heard the two.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:

i've looked at the headroom graphs and although they're somewhat useful, they don't compare with people who've actually heard the two.

Yes, I certainly agree, but they can often give a pictoral representation of what is being heard.
I actually think the graph that desktophifi posted approximates my experience. The SRH840 has more pronounced bass (than the DT770), while maintaining bright, clean mids and highs.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 19
in the foobar equalizer, can i lower the bass quantity around the 55/77 hz area if i think it's too much? Would lowering bass by 3-4 sliders down reduce the bass quality?

the phones are for the SRH840

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 19
FWIW, I have owned the SRH-840s and currently own the DT770/600s. I would classify both as "balanced" headphones. That being said, I find the DT770s more neutral (the Headroom graphs seem to back me up on this) and more musical overall.

Comfort wise there is NO competition: the beyers are among the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. The Shures are among the most uncomfortable cans I've ever had on my head.

The disadvantage of the beyers is that to get the most out of them you would need a reasonable tube amp; while the Shures are more easily driven.

Personally, I would go for the beyers (oh wait...I did
tongue_smile.gif
).

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
thanks for your opinion shane55.

I don't think the headroom graphs are accurate at all... compare it to the well known bass-heavy Ultrasone HFI-780.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I don't think the headroom graphs are accurate at all... compare it to the well known bass-heavy Ultrasone HFI-780.

Yeah, some of the headphones seem way off. The Denon D7000s are seem very weak in the bass when using the Headroom graphs and NOTHING could be further from the truth. Some headphone's graphs sound bang on.

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I have the DT770/600.
I had the SRH840.

I actually thought the SRH840 has a better sonic signature than the DT770, but they were unwearable due to their weight and headband design.
The DT770 is great. It's clear and detailed and very well isolated. The set I have has no bass... and that's why I'm comparing them with my newest... the D5000, which has too much boomy and resonant bass, so I'm in a bit of a quandary.

If I could have worn the SRH840 I would have kept them.

This is very much along the lines of how I felt. I much prefer the SRH840s. I just found them utterly unwearable.

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 19
I have both and I definitely prefer the DT770's. I'm not sure why I don't really like the Shures but the DT770 seem like an overall better phone. That being said, the shures are easier to power and are nice to bring around. However, I feel like I should have just bought the beyers first and skipped the shures all together. I guess it depends on what you have to power them and where you'll be using them.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #12 of 19
i'll be using my audio-gd sparrow, which is pretty much an audio-gd FUN. is that enough to power the 600ohm dt770?

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #13 of 19
I think if you were to get both, you would notice the difference from your sparrow. However, the sparrow isn't quite enough to power the DT770's adequately. Of course, adequately is a relative term.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I think if you were to get both, you would notice the difference from your sparrow. However, the sparrow isn't quite enough to power the DT770's adequately. Of course, adequately is a relative term.

I think he might be surprised. I found the 600 ohm version no more difficult to power than the 250 ohm version. Now this is only true for beyer's unique light and efficient 600 ohm drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back