DT770 250 vs DT880
Jun 8, 2008 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nevuh

New Head-Fier
Well i am looking in to getting a pair of beyers. Between the DT770 250's and the DT880's does it just come down to open/closed or do they have their own key sound? If they do have their own sound could anyone that has heard both give a little rundown and which they prefer.

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 10
These could not be any more different

the 770s are bottom heavy with a dip in the mid and a bright top end. for bass heavy music I find them a blast, they seem to enhance the bottom and the top a lot.. which is enjoyable for hard rock IMO.

the 880s are much smoother and while they have a good bottom end its nothing compared to the 770s. They also have a much more even midrange, and I dont find the top end as bright as the 770s, but rather smoother.

I enjoy them both, just very different cans. I like the 770s with a Predator on mid gain, for Linkin Park, Pillar, Nickelback etc, and the 880s with the Predator on high gain, for smooth jazz, and new age music. They can handle rock just fine, I just like the fun factor of the 770s when I want to hop on the volume a bit for something harder.

I have been an AKG,Grado and Senn fan for years... I was introduced to Beyer this year, and have been really impressed thus far, they make really nice stuff, expecially for the price.

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 10
I agree with everything Cmasten has said. Also, if you live near the NYC area, you might want to drop by the Audiocubes store in Manhattan and check out the JVC HP-M1000 headphone. Sound signature wise, it lies someplace between the dt880s and the dt770s. What you lose going to the HP-M1000 is a wider(dt770 and dt880) and more natural(dt880) soundstage. What you gain is great bass quality(a la dt880s) and bass amount that competes with that of the dt770's IIRC.

But in the end, what I would ask is what are your music preferences? That will really determine what headphone would be most suitable for you=]

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 10
Music: post rock, jam bands, jazz, ambient, down-tempo, and many types of electronic music.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music: post rock, jam bands, jazz, ambient, down-tempo, and many types of electronic music.

For jam bands and jazz you'll be looking for good mids for nice vocals. For electronic music, you'll be needing robust bass. If you'd like to take the safe route, I'd say dt880s. I'd also recommend the HP-M1000, since it has better bass for electronic, but you may want to give it a listen first, since it's relatively new on head-fi and doesn't have as widespread opinions on it as the dt880s do, to make them a sure-thing for everybody. I do recommend them though.

*edit* Oh, and the dt880'250 and dt770'250 will need an amp to sound near its potential=]

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 10
I'd take open ones, if the noise canceling (or sound leak) is not important

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For jam bands and jazz you'll be looking for good mids for nice vocals. For electronic music, you'll be needing robust bass. If you'd like to take the safe route, I'd say dt880s. I'd also recommend the HP-M1000, since it has better bass for electronic, but you may want to give it a listen first, since it's relatively new on head-fi and doesn't have as widespread opinions on it as the dt880s do, to make them a sure-thing for everybody. I do recommend them though.

*edit* Oh, and the dt880'250 and dt770'250 will need an amp to sound near its potential=]

They will be running off my MK-V so they should be fine. Just not sure i kinda of want the bass from the 770's. Also some people say they like the 80's over the 250's why would this be?

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will be running off my MK-V so they should be fine. Just not sure i kinda of want the bass from the 770's. Also some people say they like the 80's over the 250's why would this be?

According to the head-fi user Skylab, who has had many different Beyerdynamic headphones, the dt770/80's has the most prominent mids and best amount of bass combined. You can search out his posts in regards to this questions=]

Just a little warning. In my experience(I've had both the dt880s and dt770s), the mids on the dt770s will be relatively recessed for stuff like rock and jazz vocals, on everything except the best recordings imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back