DT770 (250Ω) Amp...???
Mar 5, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #31 of 55
Thanks GiR for the explanation. I'm hoping I'm in for a suprise when I listen to a good set of cans powered by a good amp/DAC. I've never heard anything better then Bose headphones - now you know where I'm coming from haha.
tongue.gif

Wow Cheule...thanks for the awesome reply man. That helped me a lot with all my questions. After reading GiR's and your descriptions, I think I need an amp/DAC combo. I've been looking at RSA's selection and I feel much more comfortable after reading about your experience. They are pricey though. Would you have any experience with iBasso? Their site claims the Viper (and P2 I think) can power up to 300ohm.

Maybe your right. I guess I'm a vain person..lol. I don't know why I care so much about "looks." Perhaps the 80ohm version would do me good. A little bit of humility goes a lot farther then vainity.

Ohh, I just thought of another question. What's the purpose in Impedance differences? Like, why would Beyer make a 80ohm and 250ohm? Is there some considerable difference between impedances?

Well, my headphones shipped today, so God willing, they'll get here before the weekend. I'll try them out and then try to take your good advice. I can send them back, so it's not too big of deal. I think your right about getting the proper headphone for portability.

But anyways, thanks for your all your help.
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #32 of 55
To be honest I got the 2005 versions for the same reason, I just think they look a lot better
wink.gif

The only issue I have with them is managing the cable, its quite long for portable/pc use :p I'm throwing around the idea of getting them recabled to about a 3ft cable. Or (more likely - im poor atm) getting a new plug and chopping the cable and resoldering a new one on.

As for the impedence, I believe (but am no expert on this one) that higher impedence wont go as loud from the same output. So you swap between 80ohm versions and 250 ohm versions on the same setup then the 80 will be louder.

I would assume the supposed advantage is that you can feed the headphones more power without them being as loud (maybe helping bass etc? no idea) making them have the 'power' that others have at higher volume without the actual ear breaking volume.. (remember, this is my guess here, I am not sure if I am right, I am sure someone can clarify)

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #33 of 55
I kept quoting my AKG K240s as being 300 ohms, and just double checked and they are in fact 600 ohms. The K240s came in two versions at the time they were bought, the K240S (studio) 55 ohms and K240M (monitor) 600 ohms version. I kind of "acquired" these K240Ms from my old job, working in a video and sound recording facility.

As AKG's site states, the K240Ms are "600 ohms impedance for special studio applications (connecting many headphones in parallel)" We had several sets of headphones (anywhere from 3-5) hooked up in our recording booths coming out of the same mixer so the talent, producer and whoever else could listen simultaneously.

I'm rusty with how loads work in circuits, but I *think* that when you string headphones together in parallel, the impedance drops. So I think if you have two 600s, you get 300 ohms. So 4 headphones in parallel would then drop the circuit to 150. I'm uncertain about this, maybe someone on here will point out if I've made a blunder.

If the above is true, then you can see why you wouldn't want to string 8 or so 55 ohm headphones together in parallel, and hence the special high ohm versions for "special studio applications."

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #34 of 55
GiR - so how long is the cable? I think a long cable would be nice, exspecially at home where you can just go from the computer to the kitchen...hahaha. Could you wrap it around something or zip-tie it? And I dunno about your theory, I think Cheule may have the answer, but there could be several reasons for the impedance differences.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheule - Yeah, I think your right...you just brought high school memories back, argh! From what I remember, you can either have parallel or series circuits. With series, you only have ONE path for electricity flow. Parallel has...well, more then one. So if you keep connecting devices to a series circuit the impedance (resistance) gets higher...

...okay, this contradicts your statement, which makes more sense to me actually, but this is what I remember...

Your house is wired in parallel. As you turn one more lights or whatever appliances, the resistance drops and drops and the same voltage can be applied across the whole circuit evenly. If your house was wired in series, the resistance would get higher and higher until so much heat was created, you'd start a fire somewhere in the walls.

So if that holds true, why don't they wire recording studios parallel? Again, I don't know and I'm sure there's a good reason why. Maybe copper wire is just too costly.
tongue.gif

Well, I realize my post just sorta contradicted yours, but you sparked some serious high school physics memories. That's what I thought happened. Except my version doesn't really explain the high impedance. We'll get this...teamwork...yeah
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #35 of 55
I had a Hornet with the 250 ohm versions and it pushed them fine.

Also, and amp that may be to your liking since it likes to be PUSHED and under load, is the Storm STB3. It's an amp that benefits from having higher imp cans attached to it as it sounds considerably better with the volume knob cranked.

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #36 of 55
I don't know whether I should get a seperate amp and DAC. The only portability I need is with the amp go to with my iPod.

I really want the P2 with the bass switch. Plus the looks (again argh!). The D2comes with it all in one package though, and I think smaller...

Would any of you advise going with seperate amp and DAC or just get the D2 or the Meier Corda 2Move?

*edit* sorry for the 2 posts...

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #37 of 55
Well I got my cans today.

I'm not running them off an amp. Anyways, they sound real "weak" and "empty." Once in awhile, they'll hit a bass note real low and loud and just shake. It's awesome. I'm pretty sure an amp will fix this.

What do you guys think of the iBasso P2/D2 vs. Meier Corda 2Move?

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #39 of 55
Personally what I am doing is getting an amp/dac and then I plan eventually to get myself a small tube amp for use at home. That way I can use the dac/amp combo with the laptop on the go easily, can use it with my ipod for portable and also use it as a dac for the tube amp.

Thats what suits me personally. I couldn't justify getting a seperate dac and amp to begin with really, too much hassle for use with laptop/ipod but I can upgrade without making the dac/amp redundant.

Oh, and as for the cable length, I would say somewhere around 9ft I guess.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #40 of 55
Well, since portables pretty much suck for these headphones, what would be a good desktop amp? I don't want a tube amp thought.

Also, I'd rather have a desktop amp with a DAC. What do you guys recommend for a fun amp to compliement my monsters? THANKS!

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by voxdei_aer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, since portables pretty much suck for these headphones, what would be a good desktop amp? I don't want a tube amp thought.

When you say portables suck for the 250s, do you mean portable amps? Did you try a Hornet with them? I also remember you talking about portability and using an iPod source. If this is still your plan, I strongly suggest (yet again) that you return those for the 80 ohm versions.

Insensitive cans and portable amps don't mix well. Kinda like shoving a square peg in a round hole.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say portables suck for the 250s, do you mean portable amps? Did you try a Hornet with them? I also remember you talking about portability and using an iPod source. If this is still your plan, I strongly suggest (yet again) that you return those for the 80 ohm versions.

Insensitive cans and portable amps don't mix well. Kinda like shoving a square peg in a round hole.

Okay, I think I need to go with a desktop amp if I'm so adament about these 250ohm monsters. Besides, I don't think I will be wearing these massive things out in public that much hahaha.

Desktop amps...arrrgh! These things get pricey! I don't think I want a tube amp, as I'm going to move a lot (college student) and so for my purposes, I think a solid state amp would work best. Do you have any recommendations for me to get started? Thanks man.

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #45 of 55
I'm kinda in the same boat as you voxdei_aer except I'm yet to purchase. I've been looking at the 250 Ohm versions because they are 25USD cheaper, am I better off to just get the 80 Ohm versions? I'll be using them with my laptop and right now I only have a creative xmod USB sound card(Yeah, I don't like it). Will that be enough to power the 250's or should I go with the 80's. I'm also thinking that in the future I may get a 2move, is that good enough? I mainly want it for the DAC but having it being a portable headphone amp is also something thats very nice for me to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back