DT770 (250Ω) Amp...???
Mar 1, 2008 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

voxdei_aer

New Head-Fier
I am so excited right now. I just bought a Beyerdynamic DT770 - my first (real) headphone! If I told you the headphones I'm using right now, I'd be laughed at for the rest of eternity on here. My new headphones are in the mail right now so I'm a little on edge.
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, I hope I didn't get the carriage before the horse (or however that saying goes) because I need a portable amp.

I've used the search function for awhile and need some clarification. The two amps that seem to provide the best synergy with Beyer's would be the Meier Corda 2Move or the RSA Hornet. Of course, this is from my limited research, so please correct me if I'm wrong or feel free to recommend anything else.

Will either of these two amps drive the 250 ohm version? Most people seem to have the 80 ohm (and SkyLab says their better) but I ended up the 250 ohm. Do you think either of these amps will suffice? Which one wouuld you recommend?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 55
2move comes with a Dac, RSA hornet doesn't.

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 55
The corda Headsix will work well. My son uses one to drive the DT990 and they are a good match.

Edited, if your DAP ia a Cowon, these have enough guts to drive a 250 ohm can without an amp

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 55
I have a RSA predator, and use it daily with DT770s, and Shure IEMs. My DT770s are the 80 ohm versions. I also own some AKG K240s which are 300 ohms. The predator simply cannot drive the K240s to any acceptable volume. The reason is because the predator runs off a low voltage Li-Ion battery. You can only drive so hard with a small voltage like that (3 volts or less if I recall for my predator).

Amps that have higher voltage batteries will allow you to push your headphones harder with less distortion or clipping. So the Hornet, which runs off a 9 volt battery would be a far better choice than my predator for high impedance cans like your DT770-250s.

To be honest, I think your best bet would be to send them back and get the 80 ohm version if you are dead set on using a portable amp. But since I do not know the particulars of your situation, you might be unable to send them back. So in that case, look for a portable amp with the highest voltage possible.

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 55
Thanks for all your replies.

I am able to send the headphones back, except the 80ohm versions look like crap. I dunno, I factored in some cosmetic points I suppose. I know the 80ohm is supposed to better and what not, but I'll try these out and decide.

According to RSA's site, The Hornet can run the DT880 (high gain) which is 250ohm I believe. Whether this holds any merit or not...??? Battery life might be crap, but the sound quality should still suffice???

What about the Meier Corda 2Move? I'm not sure whether it can supply enough??

In response to Aardvarks reply, the Headsix does not have a DAC. Perhaps I'm confused and misconbobbled, but if I was to use the amp as a sound card for my computer - meaning I would play music from my computer through the amp/DAC and into the headphones - then I would need the DAC???

I realize I have a lot of questions, but thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 55
the SR-71's 2x 9V supply is more suitable to high impedance than the Hornet, the Move appears to use a V converter to get higher V swing from 1 "9V" battery so the SR-71 and Move are more directly comparable

some portables can run off of much higher V external supplies, a portable that can run off of a 24 V external supply will exceed some desktop amp's V swing into these high Ohm Cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back