DT770 (250Ω) Amp...???
Mar 3, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #16 of 55
Thanks for the replies.

I actually found these cans for super cheap - comparable to the 80ohms on eBay.

Anyways, I suppose I should try the Meier Corda 2Move? I hope that it will feed my addiction for bass...??? Do you guys think it'll work?

The SR-71 is pretty expensive - exspecially compared with the 2Move which even has a DAC!

Thanks for the help.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #17 of 55
I'm expecting a Little Dot MKI in the mail hopefully at the end of the week. I also have the DT770 250 ohm version so I'll let you know how it sounds.

Bear with me though it will be my first amp
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #18 of 55
For what it's worth I have these headphones myself. I can run them straight out of a player and it is still listenable. (Its an iRiver h120 at the moment) but when I put them through the amp (an iBasso D1) everything sounds quite a lot better.

I couldn't really notice it when I first started listening, but then the amp ran out of power while I was at work so i went back to just the heaphone out on the player and the music just felt weaker.. I suck at describing this sort of stuff. It just lacked as much power and also couldn't go very loud (I could listen to it at 100% without it seeming "loud"). If I tried the amp at 100% I doubt my ears would thank me much :p

One other thing to remember as well, crappy music shows up a lot on these. I have some sr-325i as well and when I swapped over to these there were certain songs on my playlist (i never got around to ripping all my music, so used the crappy mp3's I had for some stuff) that I just couldn't listen too :p

Anyways, probably not the most detailed post ever, but hopefully it gives you some ideas or hints towards what you want.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #19 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth I have these headphones myself. I can run them straight out of a player and it is still listenable. (Its an iRiver h120 at the moment) but when I put them through the amp (an iBasso D1) everything sounds quite a lot better.

I couldn't really notice it when I first started listening, but then the amp ran out of power while I was at work so i went back to just the heaphone out on the player and the music just felt weaker.. I suck at describing this sort of stuff. It just lacked as much power and also couldn't go very loud (I could listen to it at 100% without it seeming "loud"). If I tried the amp at 100% I doubt my ears would thank me much :p

One other thing to remember as well, crappy music shows up a lot on these. I have some sr-325i as well and when I swapped over to these there were certain songs on my playlist (i never got around to ripping all my music, so used the crappy mp3's I had for some stuff) that I just couldn't listen too :p

Anyways, probably not the most detailed post ever, but hopefully it gives you some ideas or hints towards what you want.

Excellent. Thanks for your comments. Do you like the headphones? How's the treble and bass?

Let me know Jcrash on your amp situation. It will be interesting to find out. Thanks!

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by voxdei_aer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. Thanks for your comments. Do you like the headphones? How's the treble and bass?

I think they are great to be honest. I have let a few people listen to them at work and they always say 'damn, thats some bass'. So yeah, the bass is good
biggrin.gif
- As for treble, dunno if it is the finest point but its definatly not let down.

If you like bass then you will like them, I'm sure
smily_headphones1.gif

LEt us know how you find them!

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 55
voxdei_aer, as I think I mentioned before, I have the DT770 Pro 80s, and I love them. When I purchased them, I pitted them against the DT880s and some Ultrasone Proline 750s, which were about $150 more and I couldn't justify the extra price at the time. I could tell the Ultrasone 750s had slightly more clarity in the mid, and a little more high end sparkle, but the bass wasn't as punchy or pronounced.

I was kind of looking for some headphones that would thump me but still sound nice in the mid and highs, so cans like the Sony fart cannons (Sony MDR-V700DJ) were out, and the DT770s fit the bill.

I think you'll be pleased with them, especially since these aren't anywhere near the price of Senn HD650s or AKG 701s.

Just curious, how much did you get them for? I ask because you mentioned that you got the 250 ohms for less than you could get the 80s for. I still think 80s are the way to go for portable audio. You'll have longer amp runtime, and your amp options open up considerably (you can pick ones with 3v batteries).

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 55
GiR - according to your description they are exactly what I want. I'll definatly let you know what I think when they get here. I'll probably get them Thursday this week.

Cheule - I purchased mine for $148 (w/shipping). I think the ones on eBay are $149 but not 100% sure. They were the same price, so I just went with the ones I thought looked much cooler. Yeah, my amp options do kinda suck with the 250ohm...woe to me.
wink.gif
I can return them if I need to though.

What do you guys think of the new iBasso P2?

I'm still confused about a DAC. If I was to run the headphones from my computer I would need a DAC right? I really haven't figured out the exact difference between the use of an amp and DAC and what situation they work in (and visa versa). Could anyone shed some light on this for me? Sorry - very knew to all this still.

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Thanks for all your replies.

I am able to send the headphones back, except the 80ohm versions look like crap. I dunno, I factored in some cosmetic points I suppose. I know the 80ohm is supposed to better and what not, but I'll try these out and decide.

According to RSA's site, The Hornet can run the DT880 (high gain) which is 250ohm I believe. Whether this holds any merit or not...??? Battery life might be crap, but the sound quality should still suffice???

What about the Meier Corda 2Move? I'm not sure whether it can supply enough??

In response to Aardvarks reply, the Headsix does not have a DAC. Perhaps I'm confused and misconbobbled, but if I was to use the amp as a sound card for my computer - meaning I would play music from my computer through the amp/DAC and into the headphones - then I would need the DAC???

I realize I have a lot of questions, but thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

In person, they're not too bad. I will admit that the 2005 250's are more stylish and high-tech looking, but the 2003 80 ohms have a nice classic look to them.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #24 of 55
when you take the line out from an iPod or another digital audio player, you end up with a line level analog signal that is usually on a 1/8 inch jack. Most portable amps have a 1/8 input that accepts this line level signal and then sends the amped sound to you headphones via another 1/8.

A DAC can be stand-alone or additonal to this analog input. It's usually a mini or micro USB input that will amplify the digital signal straight out of a computer. DAPs like the iPod have no way to use the DAC inputs as of yet, so they are usually for laptop or desktop computer listening only.

Mar 4, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when you take the line out from an iPod or another digital audio player, you end up with a line level analog signal that is usually on a 1/8 inch jack. Most portable amps have a 1/8 input that accepts this line level signal and then sends the amped sound to you headphones via another 1/8.

A DAC can be stand-alone or additonal to this analog input. It's usually a mini or micro USB input that will amplify the digital signal straight out of a computer. DAPs like the iPod have no way to use the DAC inputs as of yet, so they are usually for laptop or desktop computer listening only.

Thanks a lot for the reply. That cleared up a lot of my questions - but I still have more
biggrin.gif

I understand the situation about the iPod. I've read about the iMod and found that interesting. My question is: on a standard computer, you have some dinky soundcard (usually onboard) and you can run a 1/8inch cable between it and the input of the amp. Then just plug your headphones into your amp?? That will amplify the sound?

The sound coming from a computer is digital???

The sound comoing from an iPod is analog???

Using a DAC converts digital signals to analog signals, right?

Basically, we want analog signals right? Atleast from what I can tell...

Sorry for the questions, I'm pretty new still. Thanks for your help Cheule.

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

DT770 Pro - 80ohm:

ST00046.jpg

DT770 (2005) - 250ohm:

beyerdynamic-dt770.jpg

Does anyone know the answers to my other questions (post #6)? Thank you.

but i got the dt770 250ohms in black, juz like the 80ohms pro ones

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by GiR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

do u feel a slight lack of bass impact when u didn't use the iBasso D1? becoz i'm using the pa2v2 amp now for my new dt770pro 250ohms too, but i feel that its bass is not as deep as my previous akg k518dj, i wonder isit the amp not having enough juice to push its bass power? i'm also thinking of getting the iBasso D1 dac/amp too, or i wonder are there any MUCH cheaper option for these 250ohms monsters?

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp0ssibled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do u feel a slight lack of bass impact when u didn't use the iBasso D1? becoz i'm using the pa2v2 amp now for my new dt770pro 250ohms too, but i feel that its bass is not as deep as my previous akg k518dj, i wonder isit the amp not having enough juice to push its bass power? i'm also thinking of getting the iBasso D1 dac/amp too, or i wonder are there any MUCH cheaper option for these 250ohms monsters?

No, I don't find any lack of bass with the d1 to be honest. I think it handles them quite well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by voxdei_aer
I understand the situation about the iPod. I've read about the iMod and found that interesting. My question is: on a standard computer, you have some dinky soundcard (usually onboard) and you can run a 1/8inch cable between it and the input of the amp. Then just plug your headphones into your amp?? That will amplify the sound?

Yes, you can do that and it will amplify it, but it wont be as good a signal. A sound card is basically doing the dac and amp job it self. Taking the digital from your pc, making it analog, and sending it to your speakers or headphones.

The advantage of having the DAC/AMP combo is that you take a usb (usually) from your pc into the dac/amp and let it do the work. Most internal sound cards will be quite inferior to an external dac/amp due to a. most being cheap as hell (i.e. onboard sound or some $5 thing put in there) and b. alot of extra noise generated from the pc (although I never noticed this before to be honest, but I have an x-fi gaming sound card, which are decent).

You can also use it on the go with a laptop if you get a portable one, which is nice. Once you get used to great sounding music its painful to go back to crappy music
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #29 of 55
I agree with GiR,

The reason to use a DAC on an amp is to bypass letting your sound card do the analog conversion. You want to do that conversion in the amp you buy for two reasons. First, the amp will most likely do a much better job converting the bits of digital data to an analog signal that will drive your cans than the sound card will. Secondly, and probably most importantly, analog signals are very susceptible to RF interference. Digital signals are not. By hooking up your amp via USB to the computer you are allowing the computer to send the digital music as digital data straight to the amp's DAC. The signal then is converted into an analog signal in the amp, far from the RF noise that your computer would otherwise bleed into your sound card's analog signal.

DAPs like an iPod won't speak "USB" so you will use the line out on them to your amp. This is still an improvement because DAPs usually have very clean and clear line out signals. It's usually the amplifiers that are poor. So by taking the line signal and amping it externally, you usually end up with better sound.

Originally I was looking for a better sound from my current portable device, an iPhone. The iPhone headphone port contains a fair amount of hiss. So since I was using Shure 530 IEMs on the iPhone, I did some research and almost ended up buying a RSA Tommahawk. The Tommahawk is reported to not only be a very fine amp with amazing runtime on the battery, but also is said to have nice synergy with the 530s.

After reading a bit more, and realizing that I would like to get an amp with a DAC so that I could enjoy really nice sound off my laptop also (I do listen straight from iTunes a fair amount as well), I researched the RSA Predator as well as the Headamp Pico.

Both amps are very fine performers. I must say that right now there seems to be more Pico love going around on the threads than Predator love, but so much of this is completely subjective that it's hard to tell how much of it isn't just "flavor of the month" effect. Anyhow, I don't really want to take side in the predator vs pico debate, as I've read enough of that and it gets tiring.

I will say that I bought a predator based on two reasons. 1) I was able to get one immediately, there was no wait time. 2) When I asked Ray questions as well as Justin, Ray was much more responsive. I ended up talking to Ray on the phone twice, and he was very pleasant. The one email I shot off to Justin took him 5 days to get to, even though all I asked was what the lead time on a pico was (which he said was about a month at the time).

This is nothing against Justin, I've heard he's a good guy. It's more that I got such great customer service from Ray even before my amp purchase that it really put my mind at ease about paypal-ing off $450. Read a couple threads like this one and you'll think twice about pre-ordering from someone that is reluctant to answer your questions (Justin doesn't fall into this category).

Anyhow, after my amp arrived, I decided I wanted some new cans to go with my home setup now that I was using the DAC on my amp with my computer. And after listening to five pairs at guitar center, I choose the DT770-80s. I wouldn't go much higher in ohms than 100 for my RSA Predator. I start to hear clipping on my AKG K240 300 ohm headphones with the portable amp long before it's at an acceptable volume. From what I hear, the battery in the pico is a little higher voltage, so it doesn't clip as early but at a cost. The runtime for the predator is around 55 hours, and the pico is around 20.

Anyhow, I hope this diatribe on my purchasing decisions helps you out. I *still* think you would be better suited to get the 80 ohm versions. You have always been talking about portable amps and players, and to me a 250 ohm set of cans just doesn't mesh well with portable audio. Maybe you should not worry so much about what they look like! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back