DT250-250's out of the box - how will they sound, and...
Jan 17, 2005 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

luukas

500+ Head-Fier
...what are the most signifigant changes after they've been burned in? I'm going to audition a pair tomorrow, and would like to know how to properly evaluate the sound. I didn't ask, but I most likely can't borrow them for a day or two, much less for long enough for them to burn in, hence the problematic situation.

So, all you DT250-250 fans, help me out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 10
To be true, I didn't notice a lot of sonic difference with use, but my DT250/250 yet doesn't have many hours of use on it, anyway... The sound itself seems quite similar to the DT531, in case you've ever heard that model - however, midrange is a bit more pronounced and a tad nasal in direct comparision. All in all, well extended, groovy, but not too far from neutral sound, I'd say.

Maybe that helps a bit...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks lini. That helps a good bit, since I had a chance to try the 531's once again on Plainsong's setup. Actually I got that idea from you - I remembered you had called the DT250's the "closed groovalizers" in some post.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did like them (531) a lot, but can't get over the recessed midrange, makes vocals sound distant. Though, I suppose some careful equalizing could fix that.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I think that lini and I are the biggest fans of the DT250-250 here. I agree that they are very neutral. Tonal character is similar to the Sen HD600, but with more treble, and much more bass. I think I posted some response plots here:

DT250^4

I can't answer the burn in question, since I bought both pairs used. No perceived changes with time since I got them, and I use the pair at work most days.

gerG

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Mine changed very little after about 20 hours of use.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I think that lini and I are the biggest fans of the DT250-250 here. I agree that they are very neutral. Tonal character is similar to the Sen HD600, but with more treble, and much more bass. I think I posted some response plots here:

DT250^4

gerG

Hmm, so how did you manage to tweak the response? Was there some sort of manufacturing fault that needed fixing, or...?

Again, thanks to everyone. Can't wait to b... I mean try them out.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 10
Bah, so I did end up buying them. And - holy midrange Batman! They sound quite good 'fresh'. Certainly good enough to listen while burning them in. Yum... now, where's the 250 smiley?
lambda.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
Bah, so I did end up buying them. And - holy midrange Batman! They sound quite good 'fresh'. Certainly good enough to listen while burning them in. Yum... now, where's the 250 smiley?
lambda.gif

*sigh of relief* Just forked over my money to my local (read: national) distributor (for a very reasonable price might I add). I was skeptical and kept thinking "should I get the AKG271s instead?". Now I need an amp :/ .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back