DT231's or SR-60's?
Jun 11, 2004 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mektarus

500+ Head-Fier
Since search is disabled I thought I would just start a new thread to get feedback on this. I am a noob looking to purchase my first pair of good headphones but want to stay under $100. The Grado SR-60's and Beyer DT231's are comparably priced and both seem well regarded in this price range. I listen to a lot of rock and trip-hop but also to some folk and instrumental so I would like for whatever I buy to be good all purpose cans. I listen to both cd's and mp3's, mostly from my computer (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz). I am completely open for suggestions. Any thoughts?
lambda.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 16
I can't compare, as I never heard the DT231s, but I know when I got my SR80s a lot of MP3s had to go be the wayside because of their low bitrate (disadvantage of decent phones
eek.gif
). So what bitrates are you using/downloading?

Also if you're trying to stay below $100 and end up going with the Grados consider the Alessandro MS1s. One of the best sub-$100 deals out there.

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 16
Get the SR-60's. I run my SR-80's from my Santa Cruz and they're awesome, although a bit harsh. The SR-60's will not have that problem, though, as they use a different pad design. They will be perfect for you (and your music genres), give them a shot.

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I can't compare, as I never heard the DT231s, but I know when I got my SR80s a lot of MP3s had to go be the wayside because of their low bitrate (disadvantage of decent phones
eek.gif
). So what bitrates are you using/downloading?

Also if you're trying to stay below $100 and end up going with the Grados consider the Alessandro MS1s. One of the best sub-$100 deals out there.

I won't listen to anything below 128 bit and really prefer 192 bit and up. Who sells the allessandro's other than the manufacturer?

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 16
No one sells them but the distributor, unless you can find one here, or on ebay (rare). They are better than the 60's and 80's, though FYI.

Jun 12, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 16
Arent't the DT231s closed? Closed phones and open phones are *VERY* different. Closed phones offer the advantage of isolation (both isolating you from outside noise and isolating other folks from your music), but generally speaking open cans sound better. So I'd choose between those phones on the basis of open vs. closed, myself. (Note the MS1s are also open.)

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #7 of 16
The DT231s are supposedly closed...but really they're not. They leak a good bit of sound outwards (perhaps not as much as Grados, but my wife can hear the music from my DT231s pretty clearly from several feet away even at only-slightly-loud volume). Despite being open in that sense, they are enclosed in a hard shell and have a closed-sounding accoustic 'feel.'

They're perfectly OK musically, but whatever the extra something is that really makes me smile, they lack.

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 16
I'd say from over a year of experience with them to go with the Grado SR60's. I actually prefer them over the SR125(which I've had in their box for the same amount of time, trying to get rid of), and believe me, you won't be disappointed. Even at <70$, they bring out the best in just about every kind of recorded music, period. I actually think they sound better (more articulated and transparent) than my whole home theater system, and since they are the SR60's bent slightly, they are actually quite comfortable too. You just can't listen to them forever, as anyone will tell you. Keep your research up, but keep those 'phones in mind. They are the budget pocket rocket of the whole headphone world.

Jun 14, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm leaning strongly toward the MS-1's right now but am also still considering the SR-60's.

Does anybody else have any words of wisdom to share?
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 16
I own the DT231's and I'm about to replace them with Sennheiser HD497's. The DT231's are a bit too bright and they don't have enough bass extension for my tastes. I would recommend the Senn HD497's over any Grado at or below the level of the Grado SR-225, since the HD497's have a similar sound quality to the SR-225, but have better bass extension, are more comfortable, and are only $50-70, whereas the SR-225's are $200.

Jun 14, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 16
IMO I think your hopes for the HD497 are too high - surely good for the price and decent performance also, but numerous people have reported that the bass was too decayed/light. As a former DT231 Galactic owner, a Cmoy helped up the bass a little, but they are hard to drive to significant loud levels, e.g. an IMP-400 IMO doesn't cut it completely, but you're right, the DT231 has a light-weight bass compared to the HD497 also, bt still the HD497 isn't quite up there with the SR60s in that respect judged from a quick listening at MediaMarkt, Flensburg, Germany.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 16
Yeah, I had only listened to the 497's quickly a day ago (I hadn't owned a pair for nearly a year), and the SR60's are fairly bassy (the comfy pads help that out). I was just notified that I can't get the HD497's if I want the HD595's (so I have to get some KSC-55's instead). I still prefer the HD497 over the SR225 however.

Eric

Jun 16, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Ok, I think I have narrowed my selection to either the Alessandro MS-1's of the Grado SR-80's (unless someone offers a compelling argument for another set of cans in this price range). Has anyone compared the two?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back