DT150 at $160 vs. XB700 at $130
Jun 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Two questions my friends.

Which of these two would you get, and which of these two deals do you think is better for me?

I'm basically in the market for a good set of closed cans coming from my DT770 which I just sold. I'm looking to try something new, and basically I'm looking for something bassier with more oomph in the low end. I already have a ton of open cans for clarity, detail, etc. and what I'm looking for is something with good isolation and lots of heavy fun bass. It would be nice to have detail and clarity but I'm more in the market for something boomy and fun for this set.

In one corner I'm looking at a friend's DT150, used but likely in good condition, and with both stock and velour pads. The "German Tank" was a craze here at Headfi last year and people rave about how it was the best closed can ever made. (Better than the DT770 Premium? I'll find out). Seems like a good enough deal for me (list price is $240US) though I realize it can be had for cheaper used -- my friend originally got it without velour pads for $120.

The other applicant is the Sony XB700, which is much maligned for its excessive bass and muddied up freq spectrum, but I'm in the mood for a can with over-the-top bass. Sourcing it through a friend who will order it for me new but seems rather steep, coming up to about $130 US. Amazon lists it at about $80 discounted from $130.

Can anyone do a direct comparison of these two? I'm looking more at the bass quality and quantity, but of course other things can factor in (like soundstage, which I hear is impressive on the DT150).

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 10
If you really, honestly, just want bass, the XB700 will likely have more.  After all, that's what it was MADE for.

The DT150 is a pretty sweet pair of cans, though, and that's a pretty solid deal.  I haven't heard the DT770/250, but I love the bass that the DT150 dishes out--along with the rest of the spectrum.

What can I say, though, I'm a Beyer fanboy.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 10
I'd love to get a D2000 and try it, but unfortunately this is not available. The only options I have at the moment which I am considering are the DT150 and the XB700.

I've been reading up on the DT150 and it's often described as warm, euphonic and with a wide soundstage. I guess I have to ask: how does the bass on the DT150 sound? What headphone's bass can you compare it to? Does it sound more like the M50's bass, the SRH750, SRH840, the Q40, or what?

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 10

I don't own these headphones. Hopefully someone who has can offer a comparison. You also could search DT150 with each of these other headphones to possibly find past comparisons. For example, google DT150 M50. Keep in mind that most of these headphones are marketed as monitors and not movie watching boom makers. 

FWIR...
of these headphones, I lean toward more likely buying the DT150. Although, the SRH750 has recently peaked my interest too. But a modded D2000 seems to be the best ~ 200 or less for boom.
Quote:
I've been reading up on the DT150 and it's often described as warm, euphonic and with a wide soundstage. I guess I have to ask: how does the bass on the DT150 sound? What headphone's bass can you compare it to? Does it sound more like the M50's bass, the SRH750, SRH840, the Q40, or what?

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 10
At this stage I can only recommend the D2000 as I know this can will go down to 20hz without a problem.  Some EQ can easily be used to sort out the tonality.

Jun 30, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 10
The 750 is an awesome can but the build quality of the headband extensions is really poor. Had one crack right in front of me from regular use! I was supposed to get an SRH750 actually but after I found out that secret I changed my mind. I am aiming for either the DT150 now or maybe the XB700. A Denon D2000 would be great but I can't find one here.

Anyway I'm taking the plunge and getting the DT150. I figure I can get the XB700 when I find a good deal for it. The price it's going for in the deal I got is not optimal, I feel I'm getting ripped off.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Do keep in mind that no headphones can do real sub-bass properly, despite what people on the board sometimes claim.  I have a sine sweep that goes from 35hz-1hz, and that's right about where headphones start losing their oomph.  Some of them I can hear down to about 20hz, but none of them have any strength down there.  Not the DT990 pro, not the 990/600, not the DT150, not my DBI Pro 700.

Some movies have peaks as low as 15-20hz, which many consumer subwoofers don't even reproduce properly.  At those frequencies, bass travels better through solid objects than it does through the air, which is why we feel subs more than we hear them.

At any rate, you will get good movie bass from the 150, but it's not going to feel like a properly equipped movie theatre with tactile transducers mounted in the stands.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 10
actually, my dt990/600 sub bass goes quite deep paired with my Woo Audio 3. I sometimes feel like i have 2 subwoofers strapepd on my head
biggrin.gif
, but i find their tonality/treble too off for my likings. I'm still not sure if i want to sell them.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #10 of 10
I've heard many headphones with good sub bass, but none of them have Superb Sub Bass like even a modest speaker sub woofer. And I'm gonna get a lot of flak for bringing this up again, but the Monster Beats Studio I found had an excellent sub bass effect on me when I heard it. Of course, it's way too expensive and overpriced. 

Another nice headphone I tried was the Ultrasone Pro 900 which had an excellent bass sound. Some day I will try out the DT990. I have a friend who has one, just haven't gotten around to listening to his yet.

Btw I was supposed to get the DT150 but ended up not getting it due to some circumstances. This is all well and good I will get another opportunity at another date, I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back