DT1350 , where is my bass?
Jan 18, 2013 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Xprime4

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I just got them last night, they were in my mailbox in a -30c temperature. I let them warm a little inside but i wasn't really able to wait more than few minute before giving them a little chance.

These are replacing 3 year old m-50 that did a good job, but i was looking for something better quality

I listen alot to RnB and they do deliver something i wasn't able to experiment before with headphone.
The mids are awesome, the high are as clean as i would expect. I listen to a movie with these last night and the soundstage was better than with my rf-82 hometheater setup.

One thing bother me tho, they are really lightweight  in bass departement. I did test them with ultra low sine wave and song like bass i love you (a classic for audio substage test imo) and the extension is pretty good.

But when i'm listening to let say Charlie Wilson or any other male rnb song the headphone sound real thing with all the energy in the 200-16khz range.

When i'm pressing the pad agains my head, it become alot more BALANCED. I know these are pretty linear drivers but how come i can't get any bass pressure without pressing the earpads agains my head. Btw without any pressure i need to remove the headphone after max 30min since it hurt alot. my head ain't big, but that show it shouldn't be a wearing issue.

They are at about 12h of break in. 8h on 20hz sine wave at moderate level (that freq can be heard clearly)

Otherwise they sound fondamentaly different from my m-50 or my klipsh x7i earbud. They show detail in music i never heard and like i said the soundstage is nice.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 18
oh the source is
a) ipod touch 4 gen
b)Denon avr-900  headphone output
c)Pioneer vsk-1120 headphone output

obviously they sound better with the last 2 sources... stronger bass but still not enough there.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 18
Two things come to mind for me. 1. They're difficult to get a hard seal. & 2. There is MASSIVE amounts of product variation between DT1350s. Measurements of different pairs have shown that they can all sound VERY different. It's possible that you may have a bass-light headphone. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 18
i can't really imagine a good reputable industry like beyerdynamics would sell headphone without doing some test on it before. I just saw a 'how i'ts made' episode with AKG headphone making off and they did test the drivers before letting them out.

say the pads just don't fit my head (i'm three click from the nearest position btw), which one could fit better?

a little press and the bass magically apear balanced to me

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 18
I had the same problem and came to the conclusion that it is hard to get a good seal with these (maybe it depends on head shape or size...). I tried to (carefully) bend the headband a little and this helped a bit but at the end I sold them as I just could not resolve the issue completely. A pity because it is a very good sounding headphone when you can get a good seal.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 18
Also, compared to the extremely bloated bass of the M-50, they're going to sound a bit thin at first. I think as the pads soften up a bit, you'll get a better seal... 

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 18
If you were expecting lots of bass you got the wrong headphone, it lacks on bass slam. Positioning (as adviced by the guys) or some tweaks on Eq may help a bit. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 18
It clearly lack bass rumble more than midbass punch. As soon as i put a little press it come back at a 'normal' level. otherwise they sound pretty thin. The earpad preasure also change the way mids react but not in a good way. everything sound more muffle when the bass kick in

Do they benefit from break in? I didn't know the m-50 were bloated bass, it sound ok but not really defined to me.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 18
i put a 30hz sine wave and did some test with positionning.

When the airband is open at full capacity and i then put it more infront of my head than bass get alot better. Pretty hard to do but i guess i can learn it :wink:

what about other pads? anything that is better?

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 18
Hi, read this thread... I have the nubuck leather earpads on order for isolation issues. Will let you know how it goes when I get them...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627820/improving-the-comfort-of-the-dt1350-with-two-new-earpads-from-beyerdynamic#post_8705271

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 18
I don't understand why some people say there are sealing problems and some say the clamping force is significant. It can't be both ways. We all have different size heads but they don't really vary that much.

I'd guess it's more a positioning issue as these are very well known to need some pretty specific placement. I'd suggest trying some different positions, maybe just moving them in small increments and see what happens.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I don't understand why some people say there are sealing problems and some say the clamping force is significant. It can't be both ways. We all have different size heads but they don't really vary that much.

I'd guess it's more a positioning issue as these are very well known to need some pretty specific placement. I'd suggest trying some different positions, maybe just moving them in small increments and see what happens.

I guess it's the way my ears are

I finaly found the sweet spot, 5 click away each side then and the headband fully separed on my head. After that a little push upfront and i can pretty much the same lowend as if i was pushly lighly on the earpads...
It seems easier to achived now that the hearphone has been on my head few hours.
I still need to take a little break after 1 hour or so because of the clamping force. I,m not sure i want to 'break in' the head band yet... i can't afford to loose my new seal capacity

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 18

I'm afraid you probably don't understand if it isn't a problem for you. I have quite long ears and because the pads a quite firm and lacking in thickness, it takes about half an hour for the DTs pads to mold to my ears, sealing over the folds etc. I can try positioning until the cows come home but they don't sound right until I get that seal... Period. It's just like IEMs with too small a tip.

Every other HP I have, I just put on and listen... I like the sound of the DT1350 very much, but only after they settle. Incidentally, Beyerdynamic would not be making a 67mm pad and the suede pads unless there was a need. Many reviewers comment on the thickness of the pads especially when compared with the HD25 which never has this problem.

I look forward this being fixed when my new pads arrive or I will have to sell them. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back