dt 990pro vs dt770pro
Mar 21, 2007 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

lutwey

1000+ Head-Fier
after spending "too much" time here in headfi.........i can now see what type of headphones will fit me. since i love hiphop, bassy and closed cans are the way to go. can any body help me out with this one??? fell free to suggest any cans in the 150-200 usd mark. any help would be much appreciated.

thnks!!!
600smile.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
after spending "too much" time here in headfi.........i can now see what type of headphones will fit me. since i love hiphop, bassy and closed cans are the way to go. can any body help me out with this one??? fell free to suggest any cans in the 150-200 usd mark. any help would be much appreciated.

thnks!!!
600smile.gif

Well, since the DT 990's are open, and you seem to be looking for closed headphones, that narrows things down really nicely to the DT 770 Pro. The 80 Ohm version of this headphone is a great choice, if I may say so. Listening to them now
basshead.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

thnks, so my choice is down to one.
what songs do u normally listen to when using them??? how is the bass???

My musical preferences seem to change as often as my iPod needs charging, which is every day
wink.gif

At the moment, I seem to be passively listening to Iggy and the Stooges' "Raw Power" album. Tomorrow will be a Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Day, I can tell already. I feel it in my knees or something.

The bass from these headphones is something that I'm still adjusting to. I just bought my DT 770 Pro / 80 last Friday, but have done extensive listening with them since that time. I will point out that I find proper amplification via a dedicated headphone amp to be absolutely essential for good sound with these headphones. I'm using a Hornet with the gain set to "hi."

Since getting my first impressions of the overall sound of these headphones, including the bass response, I've observed clear changes after a bit of burn-in. I think I'm over my initial concerns that the bass was a bit overwhelming. The more I listen, the more I think that the sound is actually nicely balanced. Going to other headphones, the bass now seems like a joke compared to the DT 770 Pro. I wouldn't say I'm a basshead, for one thing, so perhaps that's why my first reaction to the bass response was one of "fear" (that's how I referred to it in one of my earlier posts). The level of detail and control of the lower frequencies is definitely one of the strong points. It probably doesn't get much (if any) better with other headphones. So, if you happen to like bass, then I really don't think the DT 770 Pro / 80 would let you down.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 19
bass is excellent, I can only compare them to my sr60's, but it is much more present. It is not super punchy, I think it is kind of boomy, but they have not been burnt in yet. The sound stage is a lot more of a noticeable change for me.

I even let my mom listen to the two and she could tell a difference, I told her to listen for a change in sound stage and the amount of bass. And even to someone who doesn't have a refined ear she could hear it.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 19
I picked up mine from Guitar center today. I got them to knock the price down to $150 plus tax. I just told them that I could get it online for that price, they didn't even ask for an ad or anything of the sort.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 19
slydog64 got a good deal. I paid €155 here in Finland, but could have got them for a few euros less online. The "going" price is about $199.

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by slydog64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up mine from Guitar center today. I got them to knock the price down to $150 plus tax. I just told them that I could get it online for that price, they didn't even ask for an ad or anything of the sort.

what dou you think if i say i can get it for 100usd online???
i read about this one dude who got it for 100usd flat

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 19
If you can get them for 100, then that is a great deal. You should buy me a pair, then i can sell them on here.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

thnks, so my choice is down to one.
what songs do u normally listen to when using them??? how is the bass???

I use my DT770 pro/80 cans for rap/hip hop and metal/metalcore/hardcore. They are very impressive for these genres in my opinion. Bass is definitely present, feels much more like a sound system does to your ears than headphones normally do.

In my opinion though they are also a little tough on the ears. Even though I don't listen to music at high volumes, i get headaches when i listen to metal with these for long periods of time (over 2.5 hrs). Probably my ears are still not used to such bass-heavy equipment as before I had these I primarily used SR-60s and Ety Er6is, but it has raised a concern for me.

They are totally worth getting though if you like bass.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 19
Wouldn't recommend the DT770 (see my sig). On the long run, approx. 70% of its possessors get discontent with its lacking mids and its slowish booombass. Always significant that most DT770 fanboys have their counter somewhere between 1 and 250.

AT A900 is a much better fon, and it has fairly enough Ooomph for bassheads.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't recommend the DT770 (see my sig). On the long run, approx. 70% of its possessors get discontent with its lacking mids and its slowish booombass. Always significant that most DT770 fanboys have their counter somewhere between 1 and 250.

nice looking out nickchen but in buyinf the pro80 version. aren't they different??? i got an offer for the a900, the dude was asking 85 usd +an ms1, i still have some love for my ms1 so not really willing to let go.

decisions decisions decisions

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

So is the idea that a smaller number of total posts equals a lack of intelligence? If so, that's kind of harsh. I personally have posted my "actual" experiences and perceptions about the DT 770 Pro / 80, and my comments have include both things I like and dislike about these headphones.

I do indeed find this headphone to be a pretty good choice. I happen to have a slight preference for the DT 250 (owned the -80 and will probably end up buying the -250), but there is never one single headphone to fill all listening needs.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Maybe it's because those 70% posessors are really happy with the DT-770's and spend more time listening to them then writing about them?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back