DT 990 PRO vs AD900x
Feb 1, 2015 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

C x 2

New Head-Fier
Hi all! I've been looking lurking around different sites doing A LOT of research recently on different headphones and I've hit the point where I'm left with two choices. The DT 990 Pro (on sale at adorama) and the AD900x (~$180 CAD). From what I've read, these two headphones seem to fit the bill for what I've been looking for in headphones, I've tried picking one but I just can't. Can anyone who's had experience with these two headphones give me their opinions?

Thanks for any help! :)

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 16
I used to own the DT-990 Pro and currently own the AD-900X. They are two fairly different headphones. I'll try to summarize. 

First of all, the AD-900X doesn't need an amp at all. The DT-990 is usable without an amp but you should really have one to get the most out of it. Doesn't have to be an expensive amp though, a CMOY or Fiio would be fine. For comparison, my regular listening volume on my laptop is ~15/50 on the AD-900X. It was more like ~45/50 on the DT-990. 

As for sound, I'd recommend the AD-900X unless strong bass is important to you. The AD-900X has adequate bass--it goes deep and it has a nice sense of impact, but it does not rumble or boom. Rap and electronic are meh on it. The DT-990 has much more body in the bass. For everything else, it's either a tie or the AD-900X wins. It has a more natural tone, larger sense of space, and it's less harsh. The DT-990 has a treble spike that might hurt your ears after a while. 

So basically... Don't want to buy an amp? Get the AD-900X. Listen to mostly rock, folk, vocal, classical, etc? Get the AD-900X. Listen to mostly rap and electronic and ok with buying an amp? Then get the DT-990. 

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 16
  What Ohm version of the DT 990 are you considering?  You may need an amp.

What sound signature do you seek?  These cans are quite different.

I was considering the DT 990 Pro version (250 Ohms) and yeah I was planning on getting an amp in the future. I wasn't really looking for a specific signature, just one where the mids aren't overly recessed and the bass takes over.

I used to own the DT-990 Pro and currently own the AD-900X. They are two fairly different headphones. I'll try to summarize. 

First of all, the AD-900X doesn't need an amp at all. The DT-990 is usable without an amp but you should really have one to get the most out of it. Doesn't have to be an expensive amp though, a CMOY or Fiio would be fine. For comparison, my regular listening volume on my laptop is ~15/50 on the AD-900X. It was more like ~45/50 on the DT-990. 

As for sound, I'd recommend the AD-900X unless strong bass is important to you. The AD-900X has adequate bass--it goes deep and it has a nice sense of impact, but it does not rumble or boom. Rap and electronic are meh on it. The DT-990 has much more body in the bass. For everything else, it's either a tie or the AD-900X wins. It has a more natural tone, larger sense of space, and it's less harsh. The DT-990 has a treble spike that might hurt your ears after a while. 

So basically... Don't want to buy an amp? Get the AD-900X. Listen to mostly rock, folk, vocal, classical, etc? Get the AD-900X. Listen to mostly rap and electronic and ok with buying an amp? Then get the DT-990. 

Thanks a lot for your post, it's been really helpful! I was planning on buying an amp in the future, and I do mainly listen to rock music. I was trying to find out which one was the best all-rounder and which was the most comfortable (I have a big head). Which reminds me.. which one did you find more comfortable out of the two? I'm looking for a slight bigger ear cup as I previously owned the ATH-M50x and the tip of my ears kept touching the padding on the inside which caused a lot of irritation.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 16
I own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and ATH-A900X (closed) headphones.
I would say to get the AD900X, better mids and works great without a headphone amplifier.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 16

I own the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm and ATH-A900X (closed) headphones.
I would say to get the AD900X, better mids and works great without a headphone amplifier.

Good advice.

The mids of the DT 990 are recessed.  Whether they are "overly recessed" is a matter of sound signature preference.  They are a bit more recessed than on the M50X I heard.

It comes down to picking a can with a "V" shaped sound signature that need an amp vs. a neutral to neutral-ish can that can get by quite well without one.  Both are good at what they do.  My personal pick, given your preferred genres, is the AD9000X.

Feb 1, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 16

Good advice.

The mids of the DT 990 are recessed.  Whether they are "overly recessed" is a matter of sound signature preference.  They are a bit more recessed than on the M50X I heard.

It comes down to picking a can with a "V" shaped sound signature that need an amp vs. a neutral to neutral-ish can that can get by quite well without one.  Both are good at what they do.  My personal pick, given your preferred genres, is the AD9000X.

Thanks a ton for the advice! I'm gonna go with the AD900x now. Any comments on the comfort of the two headphones though?

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 16
Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Most people consider both cans to be comfortable, but of course your mileage can vary.

Feb 2, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 16
  Thanks a ton for the advice! I'm gonna go with the AD900x now. Any comments on the comfort of the two headphones though?

I find my A900Xs comfortable to wear, I'm assuming the AD900Xs is about the same.
DT990s are also comfortable.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 16
If you like rock and dont want recessed mids, I agree AD-900x is clearly the better choice.

I find both headphones comfortable. The AD-900x is a little weird at first because its very light and loose. Almost like it just rests on your face instead of "fitting." But I barely notice I have them on now that I'm accustomed to it. Its just so lIght. YMMV though.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 16
AD900x have a pretty unique headband - it will either work really well for you, or not work at all.

The clamp is very soft/loose, those "wings" on top sort of support the cans with minimal pressure. This creates an extremely "airy" and low-pressure feeling, like they are not even there. That said, if you have a smaller head and/or move your head a lot, they may start wobbling around.

DT990's clamp is stronger (although still considered moderate) and they sit on your head nice and tight. More of a traditional fit with round headband.

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 16
Not familiar with the Beyers other than reading up on them, but I thought I'd chime in and say everyone's thoughts on the AD900X are bang on with mine. Hope you'll let us know how you like them when they arrive. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the info everyone
biggrin.gif
, honestly wasn't expecting this many replies. I haven't actually ordered them (AD900x) yet (curiosity led me to do more looking around). I'm still kind of curious on how the AD900x do in genres like EDM or rap, I do mainly listen to rock, but I like to mix it up and listen to other genres once in a while. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back