DT 990 Amp
Apr 12, 2008 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, what is the cheapest amp that can run a DT 990 properly?
Thanks
(cheap = < 150)
I currently have an a900 and am contemplating on buying a 990 since I hav found a really good deal,( i dont have much money left) and I dont think I can afford an amp unless I sell the a900.

Or should I just save my money ?

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 21
You might want to check the amplifier section of the forums. Or, use the search feature
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 21
Hmm though they don't talk about cheap amps

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 21
I don't know how it would work with the DT 990s, specifically, but I really enjoy my Leckerton Audio UHA-3.

It's right at your price point, and, although it has its weakness, it gets a lot right for the price! USB DAC built in, and the internal battery charges through the USB cable, which is a big plus. Very small, too. As far as the sound is concerned, it seems pretty darn clean, and I don't notice much of a sound signature (i.e. it's pretty neutral, as far as I can tell).

Take this with a grain of salt, though, because this is the first amp I've owned, given that I'm still new to the headphone world. But I would highly recommend this amp at your budget.

Cheers

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 21
A standard Cmoy from Ebay for 40ish is sufficient IMO.

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, what is the cheapest amp that can run a DT 990 properly?
Thanks
(cheap = < 150)
I currently have an a900 and am contemplating on buying a 990 since I hav found a really good deal,( i dont have much money left) and I dont think I can afford an amp unless I sell the a900.

Or should I just save my money ?

To be honest, none.. Even my DAC1 can't drive them properly.. I can still listen with the volume on high without it bothering me.. I know volume is only half the equation..

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 21
some people are saying that without an amp, the dt 990 will only perform at 40% is this true?

performing at 40% is it still better than the a900?

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, none.. Even my DAC1 can't drive them properly.. I can still listen with the volume on high without it bothering me.. I know volume is only half the equation..

That's odd- I use the DAC1 and even when I listen loud with the dt990, the volume is never past 10 o'clock.

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by s.a.b. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's odd- I use the DAC1 and even when I listen loud with the dt990, the volume is never past 10 o'clock.

I guess we differ on loudness.. On my HR-2, if I go past 10 or 11 it rings my ear..

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

some people are saying that without an amp, the dt 990 will only perform at 40% is this true?

performing at 40% is it still better than the a900?

definitely not true. you'll easily get 80-90% of the performance without an amp but you'll need a decent source. an amp does a lot of things, for example it tightens the bass, reveals layers in music, expands soundstage, gives more detail, makes music more effortless, increases dynamics, but none of these in very large quantities. they're all improvements, but subtle ones, i would say the last 10-20% performance of any headphone is uncovered through the use of an amp. to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about, i didn't immediately notice any difference in sq when i switched from my soundcard alone to the headfive, but overtime i noticed these subtle things that made the headphones more enjoyable to listen to. it's more apparent once u get used to an amp and go back to your ampless config.

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely not true. you'll easily get 80-90% of the performance without an amp but you'll need a decent source. an amp does a lot of things, for example it tightens the bass, reveals layers in music, expands soundstage, gives more detail, makes music more effortless, increases dynamics, but none of these in very large quantities. they're all improvements, but subtle ones, i would say the last 10-20% performance of any headphone is uncovered through the use of an amp. to give you a better idea of what i'm talking about, i didn't immediately notice any difference in sq when i switched from my soundcard alone to the headfive, but overtime i noticed these subtle things that made the headphones more enjoyable to listen to. it's more apparent once u get used to an amp and go back to your ampless config.

Thanks for the reply, that is what I needed.
I see you have the d2 and a dt 990.
Have you tried the d2 with a dt 990 unamped and how does it fair?

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, that is what I needed.
I see you have the d2 and a dt 990.
Have you tried the d2 with a dt 990 unamped and how does it fair?

yea i have, it actually sounds pretty good. almost as good as with an amp. and it has enough volume as well, more than enough, the d2 goes really loud. it won't have the rated 52 hour battery life if u use the dt990s with it though.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

yea i have, it actually sounds pretty good. almost as good as with an amp. and it has enough volume as well, more than enough, the d2 goes really loud. it won't have the rated 52 hour battery life if u use the dt990s with it though.

Thanks for the reply, I dont think i'm getting the 52hr anyway LOL.

I'll probably get the dt 990 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Debatable.. a good amp is 10 folds better then listening to my 340 out of a portable CDP.. Just a IE... Good/powerful amps do more then you think.. & the 990's are harder to drive then you think.. You really do need a powerful amp to make them shine..HR-2/Heedamp/DV 332i/ etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back