DT 990 Amp recommendations
Mar 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Syndicat3

100+ Head-Fier
DT 990 PRO 250 OMHS

Is that a great price? Are these great cans? 

I have a US-122L but I don't think that's going to power these things to get the best use out of them.

What amps do you recommend around $100 or less? I don't want to spend a lot, I just don't wan them to sound like trash. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 18
Is this for use with a PC or Mac or other?

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 18
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
or if you prefer external Creative Labs Omni 5.1

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 18
  Okay, and for $100, you think either of those two is the best I can get? Damn.. why does the Creative Labs Omni 5.1 have to look so ugly. 

What are your thoughts on the Schiit Magni?

Thanks

The Magni should be great for driving 250-Ohm Beyer headphones, but does not come with a DAC feature.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 18
DAC - Digital to Analog Converter
DACs are in a lot of things, motherboards, sound cards, mp3 player, cell/smart phones, receivers, etc.
Just about anything design to process audio from a digital source has a DAC chip.
An amplifier is a post DAC analog signal enhancer. (amplifier).

Sound cards like the Sound Blaster Z sound card come with a nice CS4398 DAC chip built in.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 18
  DAC - Digital to Analog Converter
DACs are in a lot of things, motherboards, sound cards, mp3 player, cell/smart phones, receivers, etc.
Just about anything design to process audio from a digital source has a DAC chip.
An amplifier is a post DAC analog signal enhancer. (amplifier).

Sound cards like the Sound Blaster Z sound card come with a nice CS4398 DAC chip built in.

Okay, thanks for your help. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 18

Sorry.. quality wise, are both of these products the same, or is the internal better?

Usually external is considered to be of higher quality, less chance for interference. But in reality you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they are using the same DAC chip.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 18

Sorry.. quality wise, are both of these products the same, or is the internal better?

For me personally I would prefer internal, but I can see someone getting the external if they want to be able to also use the sound card with a laptop.
Or if the inside of their computer had an electrical noise issue.

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #14 of 18
Fiio e12 mount blanc
Fiio e09k
Ojective 02
Schiit

Are your best bet in this price range I know the e09k does 150 mw at 300ohm so that should easy be enough juice they all should be fine really.
If you like gaming better off getting a cheap soundcard like a xonar DG + external amp as mentioned above

DAC only comes in to play if your a purist and like music in stereo over dolby headphone or creative version etc and even then it's not going to be THAT noticeable over a semi decent soundcards dac through dt 990 pro's.So it depends which dac chip you have already I still think full sized mains capable amp is better in the long run.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 18
I think he said he wanted something under $100.  I have the Magni with the 990 pros and I do not like it (using Music Streamer II as a DAC).  There are a number of reports of the Magni extending the highs and lows in ways that you don't really want with these particular headphones.  Obviously the Lyr and Bifrost is great if you have about  $1000, or so to build a great setup.  But the Lyr has tubes, and it was designed specifically with the 990 600-Ohm in mind, apparently....  

If you want a decent cheap setup for music, I recommend the Fiio E-10 dac/amp.  It has a really smooth sound and sings well, especially when you have it on high gain and bass boost.  I don't know how well it would do for games, etc., but I really like it as a cheap setup.  

I think other Fiio products are probably good with the Beyers, as the Beyers tend to be a bit hot on the top and bottom, where Fiio tends to be warm in the mids and a bit rolled off on the highs. 

Otherwise, yeah, if you want to get into tubes, that's what a lot of people recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back