DT 990/600 question
Apr 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Shark50521

100+ Head-Fier
I have searched around but have not been able to come up with a definitive answer, only the "tubes are better" argument presented for the Beyers. I currently have a Cute Beyond and a x-head and was wondering if either of these amplifiers would do the job of amping the 990's fairly well. If not what would your other recommendations be for a new set of cans, I am coming from the AD700 and listen to a wide variety of music but mostly rock and metal.

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 30
i don't know much about the x-head. but i've read a few posts that claimed it could power the dt880/600... (thus also the dt990)
if you want a new can that's good for rock and metal, and will be easy to drive with both your amps, then i'd look at grado labs.
don't know your budget, but the sr225i is a good place to start.
the best cans for metal that i personally have heard...

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 30
should be fine with that Cute Beyond

just get a better tube amp down the road
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 30
@ David.M - we seem to bump into each other every time a dt990 gets mentioned.
i hope you're enjoying yours as much as i am mine!!!
icon10.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ David.M - we seem to bump into each other every time a dt990 gets mentioned.
i hope you're enjoying yours as much as i am mine!!!
icon10.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 30
yea, I had MS1's and was just never a huge fan of them, so I've been trying to find an alternative to Grados, I'm looking at getting rid of the x-head so I'm more concerned with the cute beyond. Thanks for the suggestions though, the sale at B&H is almost too good to turn down. Since you both have them, mind telling me how they pair with the rock/metal genre?

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark50521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, I had MS1's and was just never a huge fan of them, so I've been trying to find an alternative to Grados, I'm looking at getting rid of the x-head so I'm more concerned with the cute beyond. Thanks for the suggestions though, the sale at B&H is almost too good to turn down. Since you both have them, mind telling me how they pair with the rock/metal genre?

990's eat up Rock/Metal categories for breakfast.

You'll feel the impact of the bass/drums/guitars revolving around your neck the first few days. Quite scary, but pure thrilling experience
biggrin.gif

And i agree, the sale at B&H is toooo good to pass up. If you're fond of the Denon/grado signature, you'll definitely love these.

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 30
they are quite good for rock. maybe not fast enough for metal. but i don't listen to enough metal to say for sure.
they are really luxuriant-sounding phones. as stated a lot on the forum, they are bassier than neutral. but, to my ears, it's what makes them so darn sexy sounding.
for me personally, 60's and 70's rock is what these are made for.

i'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but.... here goes.
led zeppelin's albums are, to my ears, mixed a tad bit bass light. so the dt990s allow me to hear john paul jones' bass parts a little more as i'd like them in the mix. and it gives a really solid foundation to that kind of music.

also, to my ears, the beatles remasters sound better on my dt990s than any other hps i've heard, including my k701s, dt880s, hd595s, and others i've listened to...

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 30
hey TheWuss, you plan on getting your 990's re-cabled with the Black Dragon any time soon?

I was planning on doing it, but dunno if it's worth it. I however am going to be getting the WA6 with the Sophia Princess upgrade sometime in August
biggrin.gif

also, i suggest you try the DT990 with Graphicsm's '5.1 surround sound' foobar option. You gonna be blown away
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 30
I have just been getting into Zeppelin a lot more, and I love 70's rock, I'm pretty sure I will go with the 990's now and work towards a tube amp later, I just like the cute beyond so damn much though. Thanks a ton for your guy's advice/opinions.

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

I have just been getting into Zeppelin a lot more, and I love 70's rock, I'm pretty sure I will go with the 990's now and work towards a tube amp later, I just like the cute beyond so damn much though. Thanks a ton for your guy's advice/opinions.

Nice choice in music...I guess you can tell from my avatar I am kind of a Zeppelin fan....timeless I say!
beerchug.gif

Great match with rock!

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 30
@Shark50521 - no sweat, man. enjoy.

@DavidM. - i may just do that. it made a pretty reasonable difference w/ myk702s, actually.
however, i always felt that the cabling design of the k701/k702 held it back. w/ the beyers, they have a pretty decent stock cable. so, i'll prob. recable at some point, but not in as big a hurry.

loving the wa6 w/ dt990. just wonderful, man. wonderful.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 30
On the 990's?

Go tube or go home
beyersmile.png

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Macedonian, what is your opinion on tube vs solid state with them. Is tube a necessity or will my ss do?

The 600 ohm beyers are best with tubes IMO. They can sound good with some really good SS amps, but honestly I have always preferred them with tubes.

I would get the DT990/600s now and think about a tube amp down the road. If you go for the 250 ohm version, you will regret it!

I made that mistake with my (now sold) DT880/250s. After hearing the 600 ohm version, I just could not go back.

beyer went with 600 ohm drivers on the T1s for a reason
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back