dt 880?
Jun 30, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson

The DT-880 headphone cable does not need upgrading. Some have tried some experimenting but usually conclude that there is no improvement with a cable upgrade.
280smile.gif

I've actually had pretty good results with a cable upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Removed the old cable, including the crossover cable, and replaced them with 2 runs of mogami neglex starquad(now giving it a Y cable instead of the old single sided cable). Each cable is terminated with a gold plated neutriks xlr plug (1 for left channel, 1 for right. My amp's 2 neutrik combo jacks have their xlr portions wired for left and right channel respectively, so they can take advantage of this mod). After a little burning in, the improvement in sound is significant.

Edit:

Wait, I do have some pics:

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/av98m/my_photos
I've also added a pic of my amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

The 880s are fine headphones that like the Senns, benefit greatly from a powerful amp. These are not exactly easy to drive headphones.

Jun 30, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #17 of 21
It's nice to see a DT880 thread again. I've always enjoyed them and feel that they are excellent in many ways. It's funny how they went from being the flavor of hte month (many many months ago) to the forgotten ones. As others have opined in this thread, they have a very neutral presentation that does not over or under emphasize any of the frequencies. That some people think this results in a 'boring' sound is understandable but not a bother to me. IMO they are about the best headphones I've ever heard for their price point (along with the Ety ER-4S), which was about $220 when I bought them but maybe a little more now due to exchange rate movements.

Jun 30, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #18 of 21
av98m2,

Hello, brother!!!

I also modified the DT880 with Mogami cable, but mine is the 3106 (dual 2552). I also modified it to a "Y" connector, but mine goes to a 4 pin XLR (same as the K1000).

If you ever get the chance to get a DT931 / DT831 headband for cheap - go for it. With the DTx31 headband it feels a pound lighter on the head; there is no more scalp burn.

With my cable the lows are are little more prominent, the highs seem clearer and the smudging in the midrange seems to have been alleviated. What do you perceive with your cable, and what Mogami number is it?

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 21
I used mogami neglex 2534.

Perceived improvements are pretty much identital to yours, and the soundstage seemed improved as well. The dt880s are indeed severely underrated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #20 of 21
DT880 are awesome....nuf' said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back