DT 880 vs. Q701 vs. AD-900x
Sep 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vegaobscura

New Head-Fier
Source : Desktop with X-Fi Fatal1ty, Macbook Pro, iPhone/iPad

Preferred tonal balance : Unsure. Coming off of Shure SCL4s.

Preferred Music : Ben Folds Five, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails, Blink 182, Daft Punk, Mumford and Sons, Vince Guaraldi, Talking Heads, and Gorillaz.

It looks like the best options for my budget are the DT 880 Pro/Premium, the AKG Q701, or the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x (all around or under $250, less if used).

I've heard that the DTs are better as the 600 ohm version, which would make an amp pretty important. I'm thinking about throwing an O2 (+ODAC, eventually) into the mix--or a DIY tube amp, if I could justify the extra cost. That would cover that need.

I think I would appreciate the larger sound stage of the Q701s/AD900xs, but I've been hearing that the DT 880s are the better phones overall. Thoughts?

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 13
Both are open--so you need to be OK with fact that they leak sound and don't isolate well--in fact very little.

Right out of a iPhone or iPad, you will not have enough power to properly drive the Q701.  You other device might also have this issue, at least to some degree.  I can't say more, as I am not familiar enough with them to know.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the reply!

Added a bit of an edit--I figured the DT 880s deserved to be thrown in the mix if I'm considering this price point. I also failed to mention my plans to add an amp in addition to the headphones, so driving them shouldn't be a problem.

Isolation isn't an issue--I've been looking at mainly open cans knowing this.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 13
All three are excellent cans.  However, if i had to pick just one for music, it would be DT 880 in the 600 Ohm flavor.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 13
The Audio Technica ATH-AD900X are only 40-Ohm, would be the easiest of the three for your iPhone to drive,
Really the only headphones of the three that will not need an add-on headphone amplifier to work well with the iPhone (or PC, MAC & iPad), Q701 might like a little more juice then what the IPhone provides, for the Q701 to sound their best.

A Fiio E17 would be able to use it's amplifier with all 4 of your devices and it's DAC with the PC's Titanium sound card (optical) and the MAC's USB or optical ports.
The DT880 250-Ohm should work with the E17 and I would assume the 62-Ohm Q701 also.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 13
OP - not sure if this will help, but it was my thoughts when I owned the DT880, K701, and HD600
(http://www.head-fi.org/t/666061/akg-k-702-sennheiser-hd-600-beyerdynamic-dt-880-review#post_9484073)

I can't comment on the AD900X as I've never owned or heard it.

If you count the K701 as being essentially similar to the Q701 (Q may have slightly more bass) - then it will give you an 'opinion' on basic differences between the two.

IMO - both the Q701 (I formerly owned that also) and the DT880 are both stellar headphones.  Unless you own, or are intending to own, an OTL tube amp - then get the 250 ohm DT880 instead of the 600 ohm.  Any difference sonically is extremely small and the 250 ohm are easier to drive.  The 600 ohm require more voltage - which is where a tube amp comes to the fore.

Coming off the Shures - I'm assuming you like your mid-range slightly forward - which would perhaps suggest the Q701 over the DT880.  IMO the DT880 are probably slightly flatter.  You rteally can't go wrong with either.  If you were considering second hand - I'd also suggest throwing the HD600 in the mix.  IMO - probably the 'king' of mid-fi cans, and the mid range would really suit you.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 13
  I assume that driving them wouldn't be a problem once I introduce the O2 into the mix.

With that out of the way, what are your thoughts on choosing one of the three?

So your planning on carrying around the O2 with your iPhone?
(nothing against the O2, I Iike my O2 just fine)

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 13
Right now, I'm only planning on using these at my desk/in my room, so a stationary/desktop-style amp would be fine.

These are meant to be my new music, gaming, and movie headphones, you know?

I may eventually cash in on the out-of-warranty replacement of my SCL4s to SE425s if I want a better portable set, but for now, I've got a pair of those Monoprice IEMs that will be fine.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 13
  Source : Desktop with X-Fi Fatal1ty, Macbook Pro, iPhone/iPad

Preferred tonal balance : Unsure. Coming off of Shure SCL4s.

Preferred Music : Ben Folds Five, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails, Blink 182, Daft Punk, Mumford and Sons, Vince Guaraldi, Talking Heads, and Gorillaz.

It looks like the best options for my budget are the DT 880 Pro/Premium, the AKG Q701, or the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x (all around or under $250, less if used).

I've heard that the DTs are better as the 600 ohm version, which would make an amp pretty important. I'm thinking about throwing an O2 (+ODAC, eventually) into the mix--or a DIY tube amp, if I could justify the extra cost. That would cover that need.

I think I would appreciate the larger sound stage of the Q701s/AD900xs, but I've been hearing that the DT 880s are the better phones overall. Thoughts?

Heya,

I would look to something simple and effective, it's over-stated and exaggerated, the differences between DT880 impedance versions. I would not focus on the 600ohm, the 250ohm is virtually the same, only differentiated, honestly, by extremely technical measurement, and that difference is not due to the headphone, it's due to the amplifier's behavior at different work load levels, which is actually amplifier dependent. It's pointless to mull over the 250ohm/600ohm, and is better to simply get the version that best matches your budget regarding source (amplifier) if you already have one, or it serves to help dictate what you get to power them should you get them. 

AudioTechnida AD900X with a Fiio E10.
Beyer DT880 32ohm or 250ohm (PRO) with Fiio E10.
AKG Q701 or K702 with Fiio E10.
Philips Fidelio X1 with Fiio E10.

Inexpensive DAC/AMP option that will power those headphones just fine, with excellent mid-tier headphone options that all have great sound stages and are excellent all arounders.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 13
  This is worth a read about the three versions of the DT 880:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Sure, read everything you can, but chances are you will still get the 250-Ohm version.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 13
I haven't heard the ATH-AD900X, but I used to have the A900X. They were excellent headphones.

Based on my experience with the DT880s and Q7801s, and I think you really have to listen to both of them to decide. I thought for sure I would like the DT880s better, but I liked the Q701s a little bit more. But then I kept neither because I still liked my Grado SR225i better and thought I wouldn't listen to the others enough (and I almost didn't try Grados because I thought I wouldn't like them, based on user testimonials).

The point is that all of these are all good mid-fi headphones. Your particular listening preferences will make a much bigger difference in which you will like better. And it will be difficult for you to predict that very accurately without listening to them until you get more experience with different headphones. Best strategy would be to order two of your favorites from vendors that have good return policies (Crutchfield, B&H Photo, and Amazon--but not Amazon 3rd party vendors who do their own shipping). Demo for a week and keep the pair you like the best :)

Sure, read everything you can, but chances are you will still get the 250-Ohm version.

+1

I agree with those suggesting the 250 ohm version over the 600 ohm version. Why spend the extra money on the 600 ohm when they are more difficult to drive and much more expensive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back