DT 880 vs. K 701
Nov 2, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 14
to me, they sound quite similar except that the DT880 has a better top end and the K701 has better bass and a wider sound stage. in general, i prefer the K701, although not by a significant margin.

i think HD650/K701/RS1 is a nice trio with each having a pretty distinct sound signature.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 14
I sold my 880s to get 701s and I've never looked back. The 880s are wonderful except for a very audible peak around 8k that drove me crazy.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 14
Both would compliment, but the AKG would have a different house sound which might make it a better compliment. The Senns don't sound too far apart.

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 14
I've never heard the K701's but my DT880's are amazing.

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 14
I owned both simultaneously for several months. The DT880 that I had was the 2006 version btw.

DT880 is brighter, and has sibilance. It never went away (I burned it in for over 700 hours), and the sibilance was pretty much the key motivator why I finally tossed them out. Compared to the K701 it also has a slower attack (but fuller decay), and a thinner mid-range. But it had better treble extension and refinement, and heavier bass too. Plushy, and perfect for retrieving mid-bass texture, it really brought out kick drums. And a big open soundstage too.

I'd say K701 is flatter than DT880 but it has its own issues. Lack of treble extension, too much soundstage air (at least on the stock cord), and low-quality & -quantity bass on stock cord. Never got anywhere near as much bass/mid-bass texture as the DT880.

For most people, I'd say both headphones are best paired with tube amps. (But personally I don't like tubes and didn't prefer tubes on either headphone ultimately.)

Vs the HD650, they have their strengths, as the HD650 is another flagship but with its own tradeoffs. IMO the HD650 has too much mid-bass, an intangible "veil" over the music, and lack of extended & refined treble. But it's also very involving and has a great mid-range.

All three are also very amp dependent so there's that variable too. You should audition if possible, find a meet in your area?

Nov 3, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 14
I own the K701 and the 2003 DT880

My sentiments generally agree with what's been said already

the DT880s have a sparklier treble and fatter bass, but the mids can't touch the K701. it has a smaller soundstage than the K701 but that doesn't make it a small one by any means

K701 has the wider soundstage, and I feel the treble extends just as high but doesn't sound as peaky/sparkly. Mids are their strength and the tight bass. I also felt the K701 was a faster more dynamic headphone, but again this doesn't mean the DT880 is by any means slow.

In general I felt that the DT880 was a more transperant headphone, whereas the K701 although also being very revealing imparted its sound signature more.

My choice was to pair the DT880 with a tube amp and warm source for a less hi-fi but more fun listen, and the K701 with a more neutral solid state amp and source.

IMHO both great phones that are equals

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 14
Sorry, but I'm right in the middle of this. I'm so near at buying a 701 of the DT 880 right now. Or just the opposite. And my reference is the excellent studio phones HD600 and the Hi-Fi set D-2000. I really like them both. They are just enjoyable, both on their own terms.

Any constructive comments?

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 14
IMHO:
1. wearing, I should say 880s (2005 ver.) is better than 701s, the 701s are always felt clamping necks or jaw nearby, headband is kinda rigid.
2. Bass, 880s newer is deeper and faster than 701s,
3. Highs, both are good, 701 is smoother, 8801s has more details
4. vocals, 701s sound better, esp for female sounds, very sweet and touching sound. 880s mids are so balance and direct, but still very good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 14
I own both...the DT880 (in 600 ohm) and K701. Personally, I have spent countless hours trying to determine with is a "better" headphone...only to realize they are both very good at what they do. The characteristics are of each are well documented if you do a search.

DT880 - A balanced presentation, with a nice extension in the lower frequency / bass (a bit more than the K701). I purchased the 600 ohm version directly from Beyer, and these headphones do not have "any" sibilance. The highs are wonderfully detailed is a perfect sense. Very comfortable headphone to wear.

K701 - Similar balanced presentation, with wonderful mids. The lower frequency / bass is without a doubt present...but provides a "bit" less thump than the DT880. For many, the highlight of the K701 is the wide soundstage, and the detail these headphones provide. Very comfortable as well. I have very much enjoyed these headphones in listening to my Grateful Dead collection...they have allowed me to pick-up details in the music which I had never heard before.

Both of these headphones are excellent...and you really can't go wrong choosing either. The DT880 / 600 ohm, are a little harder to drive in this configuration...but the higher ohm smooths out the presentation a little more than the 250 ohm model. The K701 have a long burn-in time before fully reaching their potential.

Hope this all helps!

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Hello,

I don't have the 701s but I have the HD 650s and DT 880s (250 ohm, 2005). I must say that the DT 880s are very, very good - no sibilance at all. I think the treble sibilance some face might be source dependent. I am using the Benchmark DAC1 USB for source and amp duties and the highs on the DT 880s are wonderful, extended and never harsh.

In short, the DT 880s are very linear, clear and quick sounding headphones with little bloat. It will complement the HD 650 sound.

Cheers!
cansman

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #13 of 14
I have owned both, but at different times and I would have to say that they are great cans. I would have to say try them out first though, I got the 880 first but for me it was just too bright and I sold them to get the 701's which solved the problem for me and are smoother. The 880 comfort is better though the k701 is not lacking in the least. make sure to stick with your choice, cause i'm really missing my 880's right now XD

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Hello

I have just purchased a class A dual channel Pimeta headphone amplifier with interchangeable OPA627 and AD8610 chips to use with my Minidisc player.

I am at a loss choosing between the K701s, DT880s or AD900s?

My main source is mini-disc which i am currently using with Beyerdynamic DT231pros.

I enjoy the mellow, laid-back sound of minidisc and DT231pros, but this combination is lacking the more detailed, richer, more powerful, 'bigger' sound i'm looking for? (the minidisc/DT231pro combination was also VERY quiet, hence the Pimeta upgrade, which may yet prove to be overkill).

I enjoy detail, but also like a smooth, balanced sound.

I'm wondering which cans you may recommend for my Minidisc/Pimeta combination? I enjoy a more 'cohesive' 'big picture', but still detailed sound, more than an 'upfront' analytical sound. I owned a pair of UESuperFi5s which i found a bit too upfront and unnatural sounding.

I mostly listen modern alternative/pop music.

Thanks
Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back