DT 880 Sub Bass Quality?
Apr 26, 2014 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sentient808

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Can anyone who owns a pair of DT 880 Pro's (250 ohm preferably) tell me how the sub bass quality is?  Sub-bass quality of course being relative (these are headphones afterall and not a near field system with a sub woofer), but I want to know if frequencies like 40hz and below come across at all on these cans.  I know the DT 770's are supposed to be the much bass heavier phones, but the more neutral response of the 880's interests me for mix referencing purposes.  Basically, if I have a deep 808 kick drum found in hip hop or dance music, will it come across at all or be totally lost?  I'm not looking for overly-hyped sub-bass, but enough so that I can get a sense of what's going on down there when I mix. I currently use Sony 7506's and I feel like the sub-bass is non existent.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Like if you check out Intergalactic by Beastie Boys, there's these low sub-kicks happening all throughout the verse and it feels like the fundamental is getting lost (or is very quiet at least) on my Sony's.   

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 5
  Like if you check out Intergalactic by Beastie Boys, there's these low sub-kicks happening all throughout the verse and it feels like the fundamental is getting lost (or is very quiet at least) on my Sony's.   

If you mean the 'dum ... dum dum-dum' kicks then they're present and sound pretty tight. Not exgagerated, but certainly not too far in the background.

I don't have a pair of the Sonys to compare with though, so this is obviousoly a pretty subjective opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back