DT 880 No sound in left driver
Jul 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DJ McFinnigan

Head-Fier
I've had these DT 880 for about five months now and when I went to put them on there is almost no sound coming out of the left driver. I don't hear anything out of the ordinary it's just that it's very, very quiet. Honestly I don't know what's wrong but I want to say that the soldered wires have come loose but I haven't a clue. Just need some advice on what I should do since I don't have any other spares at the moment to listen to music. Thanks

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 18
No I bought them used. It's weird because they were working fine last night and I hadn't had a problem with them at all until now.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 18
I had a similar problem with the sound in my HD555s for a long time.  It turned out that the right driver had become dislodged from its plastic housing and was leaning back against the outside grille of the cup.  It was really easy to fix and since they were past the warranty period, much cheaper than paying Sennheiser to fix it.

I don't know how easy Beyers are to open up, but if you could find a guide on how to do it, you could probably take a peak inside to see if its something obvious.  At the very least, you can certainly take off the earpads (which will probably be attached to the foam that covers the drivers) and peak at the driver itself.  This will have practically no risk.  However, if you need to do something like soldering, it would take considerably more expertise to fix it and have a higher risk of breaking it worse.

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
No I bought them used. It's weird because they were working fine last night and I hadn't had a problem with them at all until now.

Bummer. 

They were working fine last night... thats what she said. 

Quote:
Are you sure it's the headphones?
Maybe the balance is off with your source?

Id certainly check this. Perhaps try another source? 
If a 1/8" plug comes out a little bit the right channel may drop while the left plays. 

Id try EVERYTHING before opening the headphones up.  

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 18
I’ve tired different sources (ipod touch, sanza fuse, computer,) through my amp but nothing changes. I was hoping that maybe one of the tubes went bad but when the cans are plugged directly into the computer I still get the same problem.  I did test the tubes and they’re fine anyways. In any case I already opened the left side up (it’s pretty simple with the DT 880) but nothing looks out of place, no broken solder joints or anything that out of the ordinary.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
I’ve tired different sources (ipod touch, sanza fuse, computer,) through my amp but nothing changes. I was hoping that maybe one of the tubes went bad but when the cans are plugged directly into the computer I still get the same problem.  I did test the tubes and they’re fine anyways. In any case I already opened the left side up (it’s pretty simple with the DT 880) but nothing looks out of place, no broken solder joints or anything that out of the ordinary.

Do you have a multimeter to check if there are any breaks/ridiculous resistances in the cable? Also check the impedance of the driver, to see if they're still matching
Other than that, the driver may have gone to heaven (or is on its way =P), but hopefully its a dodgy connection somewhere. Good luck.

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 18
At this point it's starting to become a real hassle screwing around with trying to figure out what's wrong with it. Even if I did find the problem I can't solder anything together and I really don't have the time to deal with something that isn't working. I'll probably just try to sell them  in the Trade/Sell section and see if I can't get some money to put towards a new pair of cans. Thanks for all your help. just a real shame the problem wasn't something more simple--like "it wasn't plugged in" :p

Jul 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Have you tried turning the plug? Mine is experiencing the same lately. Sometimes when i plug them in there is no sound on the left side, turning the plug back and forth a bit solves this. A bit anoying, thinking of reterminating them.

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 18
Tired it but it didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's the driver which is annoying since my amp has now become the coolest looking paper weight the world has ever seen. At this point I hope it's at least worth something they way it is, because in all honesty I just don't want the stress of putting in a new driver. I f I can at lest get a half-way decent price I'll just put the money towards a new pair, if not I'll be forced to fix them.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #14 of 18
Hi,

I've got the same problem with my DT 880 250Ω : I've got a very very weak sound in left driver.
I've tried another source, same problem. I've tried to twist the jack, nothing. I've tested connections with a multimeter, it's OK. Nothing seems desoldered. I' ve got 236Ω between ground and left cable (and between ground and right cable).
I've bought it used about four year ago, and it still work well until now.
Is it the drive who is dead ? If so, where can I buy some new ? (I'm in France)

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 18
Consider the possibility of a cable problem. My T1 had a similar problem with the left channel going quiet or cutting out. Ended up being a break/kink in the cable way up toward the y-split. Holding it straight would fix the issue. Lol to build quality for a flagship:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back