DT-880 comfort appreciation thread
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
After awhile, I completely forget they're on my head -- enough said.

P.S. I really don't understand the gripes of a few about the weight of the headband pressing on the head. I wear my hair very short, and have no issues whatsoever. I just don't feel the pressure at all (seems perfectly distributed to me), so how the heck can this make some people's heads hurt? I am baffled.
confused.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 24
Headband made me feel like my scalp was burning. (only phone to do this) Went away after I got used to it. I like the pads, very comfy. But the headphones a whole were too loose and would fall of my head a lot. The cups would also shift. If you keep your head and body fairly still, shouldn't be a real problem.

Overall, pretty decent. At least no vice grip.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
thats weird. i think they have a real (not)good vise-grip. and they are pretty big to me.

Yes, that is weird... I've never worn another full size headphone with a lighter grip, and I've tried a lot in my time. In fact I don't think it's possible for a headphone's grip to be any lighter without it literally falling off your head when you tilt it forward.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 24
well fewtch, let me be honest. the only thing i like(love) about headphones is how wonderfull they sound(good ones). any darn one bothers me comfort wise(supra or circum) and iem's really bother me. but i am addicted to the sound. i am also the odd weirdo that will say high end cans sound better than most high end loudspeakers. before you go quote me, i have changed my mind about this recently. i have several pairs of 'world class' loudspeakers that collect dust. i sit and listen to my phones. i just love the way they put me in a 'cocoon'. even though there is no noise whatsoever in my enviorment.

so, i am weird. i was honest.

music_man.

oh yeah, and as far as phones in general go, ok they are looser than many others. just still bothers me.

and one other thing,lol. they could be looser. i stretched an old pair of sr-225's so far i pretty much destroyed those. i use them as a 'pillow speaker' haha.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 24
DT880 is probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried/used. Compared to DT860 the comfort is like million times better. If that's not enough, compared DT880s to HD280pro and the comfort is ten million times better.

The first time I put DT880s on I couldn't tell that they were there... but that was after a month of torture of HD280pro. DT860 isn't that bad but it's still less comfortable than DT880s, probably because of the grip and pads.

(I have DT880 and DT860, I had HD280pro and some sony 50e phones from the 90's)

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 24
The 770 / 880 / 990 are the comfiest headphones ever. They stay on your head just as well if not better than a Sennheiser, but somehow don't clamp at all. I've run to catch subways, cabs, etc with DT770s on, and I always forget they're there.

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 24
The DT880 is certainly up there in terms of comfort, no vice-grips here! For some strange reason I always found the DT880's pads softer than the 770 and 990, even though they use the same pads...
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
I can only think of a few cans I find comfier, the Beyer 5/8/931 series, the Sony SA/Qualia series, and some of the ATH-Wxxxx series.

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
The DT880 is certainly up there in terms of comfort, no vice-grips here! For some strange reason I always found the DT880's pads softer than the 770 and 990, even though they use the same pads...
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
I can only think of a few cans I find comfier, the Beyer 5/8/931 series, the Sony SA/Qualia series, and some of the ATH-Wxxxx series.

Huh, really? My DT880 and DT770 pads were identical, when I had both side by side. I'd imagine both had been made within the year 2005 though... maybe they changed material vendors inbetween manufacture dates of cans you'd heard?

Mar 8, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 24
I guess I am in for a treat since my 595s and A900s seem extremely comfortable to me right now.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 24
Interesting... I was wondering for quite a while which headphones are the most comfortable. But this seems to be quite a different experience for most people
wink.gif

I own the DT 770 Pro and those stay really good on my head but the grip is a bit too tight sometimes. My HD 600 is very comfortable after more than two years of use but the headband still hurts my head most of the time.
So tell me: Which headphone is more comfortable and has equal/better sound than the HD 600?

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuglufttier
Interesting... I was wondering for quite a while which headphones are the most comfortable. But this seems to be quite a different experience for most people
wink.gif

I own the DT 770 Pro and those stay really good on my head but the grip is a bit too tight sometimes. My HD 600 is very comfortable after more than two years of use but the headband still hurts my head most of the time.
So tell me: Which headphone is more comfortable and has equal/better sound than the HD 600?

Why, the HD650 of course!

...with some stretching.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
For some strange reason I always found the DT880's pads softer than the 770 and 990, even though they use the same pads...
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Hehe I thought I was crazy to find the 880 softer than the 770 but I noticed the hairs of the 880's pads are longer than the hairs of my 770's pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back