DT-880 advice required
Jan 25, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
I disagree, I find they are a little less than flat, the bass is definately noticeably light,

showGraph.php

OK, it's slightly rolled off below 30 Hz
tongue.gif

Seriously though, my ears agree with the Headroom graph. You just won't find anything flatter out there.

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Seriously though, my ears agree with the Headroom graph. You just won't find anything flatter out there.

If anything, that graph supports my ears.

There's too much bass at the 60-300 hz level. That should be 0 db.

The mids, which is 5k - 7k, is below 0db which to my ears sounds recessed.

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

I think you should try DT880s with a tubes based amp.

Most of these amps tend to breathe life into mid-range, slightly emphazing it, which gives some "warmth" to the sound.

I tried such conjunction last friday evening thanks to a French forumer, usining my own homemade class A vaccum tubes (ECL82) based amp, an found the combo was really great.
In particular, the render of...mid-range was outstanding ! (Voices flew naturally and with tons of details: lovely.)

However I deplored two things about the DT880s :
  1. Allthough bass were present (even I'd like they were - just slightly - more), they lack "impact", were not as "tight" as I'd like.
  2. Some frequency ranges of high - and only some of them ! - suffered from emphasis, which could result in "harchness" or colour some instruments' timbres.

So I'm looking for a headphone which would preserve the DT880s qualities, but also correct these two issues.
Mays be the new AKG (K601 or K701) could satisfy to my demand, but it's hard to get relevant reviews as they are very new...and they are also VERY pricy in Europe.
frown.gif

Fred

Jan 25, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

It is the flattest response graph I can see on Headroom. Quite a few headphones listed have a bigger bass boost (hence 'impact') at the mid/upper bass region with either a larger suckout in the midrange area (e.g. Senn HD650) or exaggerated mids/treble (e.g. Grados).

Jan 25, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 51
You guys are forgetting about Fletcher-Munson curves. Bass that measures flat does not sound flat, because human ears become less sensitive as frequency declines in the last 2 bass octaves, and does so more or less logorithmically, so to "hear" flat bass, one actually needs a rising bass response below 80 Hz or so.

So based on that graph, the DT880 would have perceived light bass, which, IMO, it does.

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 51
I just made the same move. I've been using Grado's (SR125) for the past few years. Yesterday my DT880's arrived. Right out of the box I think the bass and mid bass are significantly better. I don't consider myself a bass-head but the bass is more extended and tighter. I will say that they are just a little bit harsh in the highs, not to the point that they unlistenable, however it noticeable. I expect this will change with burn-in. The mid range is all that I expected, very detailed and clear with a larger sound stage than the Grado's. All of my listening has been unampped using PC, Sony Discman, or dbx DX5. So far, I'm not lacking for volume but I'm about 3/4 complete on my own tube amp so I'm looking foward to see how they will sound on that.
FWIW
I have the flats on the Grado's. I tried, but I never could get used to the bowls.

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
You guys are forgetting about Fletcher-Munson curves. Bass that measures flat does not sound flat, because human ears become less sensitive as frequency declines in the last 2 bass octaves, and does so more or less logorithmically, so to "hear" flat bass, one actually needs a rising bass response below 80 Hz or so.

So based on that graph, the DT880 would have perceived light bass, which, IMO, it does.

You're also forgetting that you're listening to the DT880 with the Corda Aria and HA2.
biggrin.gif
When using the Aria, the bass on the DT880 is a bit light to me as well, and the highs are tamed so that they don't sound harsh.

Anyway, to my ears, the K701 has flat bass. DT880 does not.

Quote:

I think you should try DT880s with a tubes based amp.

Most of these amps tend to breathe life into mid-range, slightly emphazing it, which gives some "warmth" to the sound.

Agreed. When I tried the dt880 with a millet the first thing I noticed was an improvement in the midrange, which otherwise sounded a bit artificial.

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Final word: Quantity-wise, the DT880's bass is neutral -- literally flat from upper bass all the way down to 20 Hz. If the music is bassy, they have a lot of bass. If it's not bassy, they don't have much bass.

Good appoint.
I think too many people desire for too many bass
basshead.gif

Before I buy dt880, I considered this point
Finally, treble beats bass
lambda.gif

In new series dt770/880/990, beyer seem add more bass and midrange...
eek.gif

I hope that it does not harm treble for this......
(I want to buy a dt990(2006 version) sooner if it has some innovation)

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #25 of 51
Two questions:
  • Would pairing the DT 880 with a Porta Corda MkII be a bad idea? (I understand it's not the optimum one, but..)
  • Where can one find this recently retired DT 880 model (in new condition) for cheap these days?

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
Mmmm my supermini is only 3V and it drives it just fine!

how does this differ from a CMOY?

I'm really at a loss on whether to buy the DT880's now or not. I could buy a decent amp to power them but with the extra might aswell just buy headphones the same performance wise that have a lower impedance
confused.gif

(tbh i'm not really prepared to pay anymore than what the DT880's cost already)

lets say the CMOY is drastically underpowered, what will i be missing out? Lack of volume? Lack of bass?

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab

I don't know about that. Assuming the sound engineers use flat monitors/headphones wouldn't this effect already be eliminated during mixing? That's assuming they are human too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #28 of 51
Not in the least. Sound engineers typically adjust input levels from one input relative to another not EQ levels. Ie bass, drums, guitar, vocals are at level appropriate to each other.

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by konstantinos
Two questions:

Where can one find this recently retired DT 880 model (in new condition) for cheap these days?

Thanks!

Meier Audio should have some left. Link is on top of the page.

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakemoor
I could buy a decent amp to power them but with the extra might aswell just buy headphones the same performance wise that have a lower impedance
confused.gif

lets say the CMOY is drastically underpowered, what will i be missing out? Lack of volume? Lack of bass?

1) There are no hig-end that are easily driven. Probably only the HD 595 is an exception, but some people put them only to the middle class.

2) It's not underpowered, it's plain low-end. You will be missing part of fidelidy, resolution, expression, clarity...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back