DT-880 advice required
Jan 23, 2006 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Drakemoor

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting a pair of DT-880's after hearing all the praise from different members who have them. A few things concern me so if i could get some info about them frst that would be great.

1. Would it be a waste of time trying to drive them with: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headphone-Ampl...QQcmdZViewItem

2. I have heard they are slightly bright, i'm coming from SR225's (which i don't think are that bright) so this shouldn't be an issue, what i really dislike is harshness and sibilance (which i think the 225's didn't have once burnt in)

3. Just read one comment about this, apparently they slightly lack bass. Again i'm upgrading from 225's which i consider to be lacking in bass so a comparison in this respect would be great.

The only headphones i've owned are the 225's and Phillips HP890's, any comparisons to those headphones regarding the above subjects would help me loads
cool.gif

Thanks in advance

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakemoor
I'm thinking about getting a pair of DT-880's after hearing all the praise from different members who have them. A few things concern me so if i could get some info about them frst that would be great.

1. Would it be a waste of time trying to drive them with: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Headphone-Ampl...QQcmdZViewItem

That looks like an amp that supplies lots of current, but might not be that great for high impedance cans that need a lot of voltage. I would go with something powered by 12v or greater, if at all possible.

Quote:

2. I have heard they are slightly bright, i'm coming from SR225's (which i don't think are that bright) so this shouldn't be an issue, what i really dislike is harshness and sibilance (which i think the 225's didn't have once burnt in)

If the recording is sibilant, they can be sibilant. However, I've never heard any harshness from the DT880. My guess is you'll find the top end to be pretty mellow coming from the SR-225.

Quote:

3. Just read one comment about this, apparently they slightly lack bass. Again i'm upgrading from 225's which i consider to be lacking in bass so a comparison in this respect would be great.

They are basically "neutral" in bass, but don't have a lot of weight or authority on the bottom end, sounding more light/airy. Depends on your musical preferences whether this will work or not. They aren't particularly rock & roll cans, especially guitar-based rock like AC/DC is the wrong choice. Work best with more 'refined' types of music... classical, jazz, new age, orchestral, vocal pop, etc.

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 51
1.) I don't know how well that amp would be able to drive the DT880. I have doubts.

2.) If you don't find the SR225 bright, you won't have any problem with the DT880.

3.) In what respect did you feel the SR225 lacked bass? As far as impact goes, you're going to be disappointed with the DT880. I can't really comment on the extension of the SR225 relative to the DT880, as I really didn't hear them for that long, but the DT880 has more detailed, tighter bass.

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 51
I have the 325i's and if the 225's are anything like those and you don't find them bright, you won't find the 880's bright. As I mentioned in another post, going from the Grados to the Beyers is like seeing a movie star with and without her makeup.. the sans makeup is more natural and the true picture, but the makeup livens her up.

The 880's seem to be pretty neutral to me. The bass goes deep but it does not have as much punch as the 325i's. I also have Senn 580's and those have a lot weightier bass than the Beyers, which sounds good on some recordings because it adds a richness, but I think the Beyers are more accurate.

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 51
Having owned DT880's for a while (and then having sold them), I'd say Fewtch is 100% right on in every bit of his post. Mirrors my experience exactly. The 880's are great headphones, but for me the bass balance was way too light.

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 51
Yup, a good choice

check out the review in my sig....overall.....the 880 just better than the 225's in every way I can think of. Bass is not any stronger than the 225's, but has more depth and realistic sense of decay.

To be honest, after getting used to the 880's, I can't go back to the 225's

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
To be honest, after getting used to the 880's, I can't go back to the 225's

I'm having trouble listening to *anything* after my DT880s, except AKG K501 (which is not shamed by the Beyers, except it can be light in the bass and lacking in body with some music)... a good complementary headphone for casual listening, IMO.

I wonder if K601/K701 might also mix well with the DT880... curious to hear your impressions when you get the K701.

Jan 23, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 51
Well in defense of the Grados, I sort of got used to listening to the Beyers and was thinking if I put the Grados back on my ears are going to get blasted because they are too bright. I was also thinking if I had to keep just one pair I'd stick with the Beyers due to their balance and neutrality. I put the Grados back on my head and sound from the Grados was so immediate and lively that I told myself I am going to hang onto these! I plan on keeping both of them because while they are quite different in sound character, each has very strong merits.

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 51
I felt my DT880's highs were awfully sharp at first listening. But after a few days of just leaving them playing from my home amp, the highs have mellowed out perfectly.

I find the bass to be quite smooth, no harshness what so ever. Can't go into great detail as Im still midway testing them with my Supermini.

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 51
I don't think the DT880's are sharp at all. When ever I talk about them I have to talk about My Bloody Valentine's album Loveless which sounds smooth through this can and the K701's only. THe DT880's have a very warm sound and are not harse at all. As for the bass, I don't think its lacking but it certainly is different from grado bass which I feel is mostly impact which makes it stand out.

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 51
i can't belive this thread got so old so quick
confused.gif

TBH i'm fairly confident i'll like the sound of the DT880's, as long as the bass is more pronounced than the SR225's (i wouldn't say the 225's have more punch, just a mid-bass hump).

The only thing to sort out now is whether it'll perform at all well on the above linked CMOY.

What would i be losing out on if i used it with that amp?

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

TBH i'm fairly confident i'll like the sound of the DT880's, as long as the bass is more pronounced than the SR225's (i wouldn't say the 225's have more punch, just a mid-bass hump).

Final word: Quantity-wise, the DT880's bass is neutral -- literally flat from upper bass all the way down to 20 Hz. If the music is bassy, they have a lot of bass. If it's not bassy, they don't have much bass.

If you want a headphone that adds in bass where it isn't usually there (or boosts the bass that is there), the DT880 is not for you. Quite a few recordings are thin/bright or lacking in bass, so I suggest a second headphone to complement the DT880, otherwise you may be disappointed. You will find that they are pretty brutal in exposing poor recordings, while Grados are quite forgiving. With good recordings though, they're my idea of headphone heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Yes, IMO it would be a waste of time-- I find the dt880 too dry and sometimes harsh. Don't know what version of dt880 the others have, but to my ears the DT880 has a bit too much bass (or too weak mids-- like V on eq), and yes I agree the SR225 has weak bass.

Anyway, I suggest getting a Pete Millet tube hybrid for an amp. It will make the dt880 sound right!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Final word: Quantity-wise, the DT880's bass is neutral -- literally flat from upper bass all the way down to 20 Hz. If the music is bassy, they have a lot of bass. If it's not bassy, they don't have much bass.

If you want a headphone that adds in bass where it isn't usually there (or boosts the bass that is there), the DT880 is not for you. Quite a few recordings are thin/bright or lacking in bass, so I suggest a second headphone to complement the DT880, otherwise you may be disappointed. You will find that they are pretty brutal in exposing poor recordings, while Grados are quite forgiving. With good recordings though, they're my idea of headphone heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

I disagree, I find they are a little less than flat, the bass is definately noticeably light, but this can be a good thing with some types of music. The bass extension is deep but bass impact is not as good as grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back