DT 880 250ohm. What Fiio AMP and what DAC?
Jun 12, 2014 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Jeffy141

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I got the DT 880 250 ohm for my PC. It is mostly for gaming and listening to music while playing.
Where I live I can easily get anything that is Fiio related.
So should I get the Fiio E9k+E17? Would it be good enough?
Or E18 alone?
OR X3 & E12 ?
Or X5 & E12? 

Thanks a lot for your help

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 37
The X3 has the same dac/amp hardware as the E17, only slightly better optimized. It or the E17 would work very well with the DT880s.

For gaming, many people like the surround processing that Xonar and Creative soundcards have. Do you already have a sound card that has that? If not, then you might want to consider an inexpensive Xonar DG or DGX soundcard, and then a DAC/amp setup with an optical connection so that the DAC/amp can use the Dolby DSP features in the soundcard.

If you don't need a portable solution that the FiiOs offer, I would recommend looking into an Audio-GD DAC/amp. They ship from China. Doesn't matter where you live. I believe that the Matrix M-Stage also ships internationally.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 37
The X3 has the same dac/amp hardware as the E17, only slightly better optimized. It or the E17 would work very well with the DT880s.

For gaming, many people like the surround processing that Xonar and Creative soundcards have. Do you already have a sound card that has that? If not, then you might want to consider an inexpensive Xonar DG or DGX soundcard, and then a DAC/amp setup with an optical connection so that the DAC/amp can use the Dolby DSP features in the soundcard.

If you don't need a portable solution that the FiiOs offer, I would recommend looking into an Audio-GD DAC/amp. They ship from China. Doesn't matter where you live. I believe that the Matrix M-Stage also ships internationally.

Hello and thank you!

I dont really care about the surround gimmick :) I have owned many surround headphones (turtle beach XP7, razer tiamat, kraken etc...) and I dont think it is worth it. I play as well if not better with my stereo headphones and the sound is nicer.
So E17 and X3 are about the same. cool
So X3 with which fiio please?

FOr the chinese stuff I dont want too. If I have a problem it is going to be a nightmare to return it.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 37
  Hello guys,

I got the DT 880 250 ohm for my PC. It is mostly for gaming and listening to music while playing.
Where I live I can easily get anything that is Fiio related.
So should I get the Fiio E9k+E17? Would it be good enough?
Or E18 alone?
OR X3 & E12 ?
Or X5 & E12? 

The Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card can drive 250-Ohm headphones

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 37
I don't personally get why people buy external headphone amps for the FiiO X3 when it comes with a decent built in headphone amp. You should try it by itself first. If you are really convinced now you need better than the X3, then get the X5 with it's better hardware :)

I haven't heard complaints about the Audio-GD equipment needing returning. The best desktop dacs/amps are going to be better than the portable FiiO stuff because they can provide more power. So if you want the best sound quality for your money to get the most out of your DT880s, you can do much better than the FiiO with the budget you have indicated by your options above.

Also, most head-fiers consider gaming headsets to provide pretty crappy sound for the money. You might find that using a Xonar DG soundcard for its Dolby Headphone feature to sound pretty good with your DT880s. It's a different headphone experience :)

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 37
i heard the amp section betw E17 n E18, the E18 gave more texture n i went home with one :p
Thats for my portable use....if i were to buy a dac/amp for home use, i would pick one from Audiogd that fits my budget. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 37
I don't personally get why people buy external headphone amps for the FiiO X3 when it comes with a decent built in headphone amp. You should try it by itself first. If you are really convinced now you need better than the X3, then get the X5 with it's better hardware
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard complaints about the Audio-GD equipment needing returning. The best desktop dacs/amps are going to be better than the portable FiiO stuff because they can provide more power. So if you want the best sound quality for your money to get the most out of your DT880s, you can do much better than the FiiO with the budget you have indicated by your options above.

Also, most head-fiers consider gaming headsets to provide pretty crappy sound for the money. You might find that using a Xonar DG soundcard for its Dolby Headphone feature to sound pretty good with your DT880s. It's a different headphone experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Man I am lost. I dont care about portability but I dont want to order the chinese stuff.
Let's start over.
Should i get the Xonar DG + an AMP?
The Asus STX alone?
Or another combo of Fiio?

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 37
  Man I am lost. I dont care about portability but I dont want to order the chinese stuff.
Let's start over.
Should i get the Xonar DG + an AMP?
The Asus STX alone?
Or another combo of Fiio?

LMAO...

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 37
can u bring yur can to the shop n test it out?
sometimes it is not just about gettg enuf vol...
that control over the notes is wat u want..esp the basss..
n how it suits yur taste.

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 37
The E17 should be enough in itself and be a pretty versatile unit. I run my E17 from and optical out from my macbook and appreciate tge improved sound quality. You can also use it to amp a portable player for mobile use with harder to drive headphones.

The E09K is a pretty good amp for the money and and has a pretty decent amount of power. 10 ohm output impedance will be fine with your 250ohm cans. For more sensitive/lower impedance headphones the E17 will do the trick.

Get the E17, if you want more juice go for the E09K. Between the 2 you'll have a buttload of power as well as input and output options. Both are pretty good sounding units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back