DT 770 PRO 80ohm with Xonar DX + Fiio E6
Feb 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kloborgg

New Head-Fier
Hey there, guys. I've been a longtime reader and I had a quick question. For the past couple of years I've been using Sennheiser HD595 headphones and I love them for classic rock, jazz, classical, and any real easy-listening. I got a Xonar DX soundcard since the vast majority of my listening happens on my PC and I heard it had a great DAC for the price. Since then I decided to try another high quality set of phones for more "fun" listening and specifically for more bass impact. After reading through countless recommendations I settled on the DT 770 PRO 80s. I considered others but I wanted a pair that provided some deep boom without sacrificing too much in the other frequencies, and comfort was a big issue for me (which turned me from the M50s). I've been using them for a while now and while they sound great sometimes I don't quite as much volume as I would like. This depends on the recording in question, but some rock just sounds too quiet to be as fun as I feel like these phones can be. I expected as much coming from 80ohm phones running straight from the DX. I don't feel like spending much at all so I was wondering if I would able to run something like the Fiio E6 through the Xonar DX, and then run the headphones through the amp, purely to gain some extra volume. Also, I was wondering if the small amp would benefit me if I ever decided to listen to the 770s through my phone. If I do gain some volume, will it seriously compromise the SQ, or should it sound fine? I know many recommend the E11 but I don't have that cash right now, and I'm not sure if the DAC in the Xonar will continue to do its job or be somehow bypassed by the amp.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hey there, guys. I've been a longtime reader and I had a quick question. For the past couple of years I've been using Sennheiser HD595 headphones and I love them for classic rock, jazz, classical, and any real easy-listening. I got a Xonar DX soundcard since the vast majority of my listening happens on my PC and I heard it had a great DAC for the price. Since then I decided to try another high quality set of phones for more "fun" listening and specifically for more bass impact. After reading through countless recommendations I settled on the DT 770 PRO 80s. I considered others but I wanted a pair that provided some deep boom without sacrificing too much in the other frequencies, and comfort was a big issue for me (which turned me from the M50s). I've been using them for a while now and while they sound great sometimes I don't quite as much volume as I would like. This depends on the recording in question, but some rock just sounds too quiet to be as fun as I feel like these phones can be. I expected as much coming from 80ohm phones running straight from the DX. I don't feel like spending much at all so I was wondering if I would able to run something like the Fiio E6 through the Xonar DX, and then run the headphones through the amp, purely to gain some extra volume. Also, I was wondering if the small amp would benefit me if I ever decided to listen to the 770s through my phone. If I do gain some volume, will it seriously compromise the SQ, or should it sound fine? I know many recommend the E11 but I don't have that cash right now, and I'm not sure if the DAC in the Xonar will continue to do its job or be somehow bypassed by the amp.

An external headphone amplifier will not bypass the Xonar DX's DAC, when hooked to an analog output (like the line-out/headphone jack) on the DX.
A Fiio E6 should have more power to drive the DT770 Pro 80, over the Xonar DX.
The Fiio E6 can half-way decently drive 250-Ohm headphones, so 80-Ohm headphones should be ok.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply. So, in my mind, I use a 3.5mm from the Xonar Output to the E6 Input, then run the DT770s from the E6 Output, and I should get the same sound quality but with an increase in volume (and whatever else comes with driving them with more power)? I don't think I'll be getting the full extent of these headphones based off what I've read, but I should be running them very well, right? If so, great, that's all I really need.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 6
I recommend getting the E6. I haven't tried the E11 but I do own the E6 and use it often at home and on the go. Most of the time I prefer the E6 over my magni =/

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So, in my mind, I use a 3.5mm from the Xonar Output to the E6 Input, then run the DT770s from the E6 Output, and I should get the same sound quality but with an increase in volume (and whatever else comes with driving them with more power)? I don't think I'll be getting the full extent of these headphones based off what I've read, but I should be running them very well, right? If so, great, that's all I really need.

The E6's low impedance is a plus for improving headphone audio quality over the Xonar DX and you should also get an increase in volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back