DT-770 pro 80 ohm overrated?
Nov 21, 2019 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Just picked up a pair, to replace a pair of akg closed-backs which were given away as a present.
Underwhelmed. Had earlier purchased the series of Superlux headphones, including the clones of the dt-770's.
Listening on the pc via a Yahama mixer as headphone amp, they sound pretty good, but not much better than the Superluxes. For reference, have AKG 612's as open cans, a pair of k141's resoldered many times, and the afore-mentioned superluxes, from the hd681 to the various clones (hd660, hd330).

Source, pc Tidal on hifi and master.

They are good but not better than the superluxes imho. I'm wondering where all the fuss comes from..that they are that great? Basically disappointed with them, expected more..,maybe they need more burn-in time or something. Would think I can drive them hard enough from the mixer. Not that they're bad! Just not great compared with Chinese knockoff's that cost a quarter of the price...

Oh well, any thoughts?

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 4
Nah not overrated just outdated.

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, the DT770 design concept was created in the 80's. They are still good phones for studio tracking, comfy and robust, but in terms of pure SQ, you can have better for less nowadays.

Nov 23, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 4
Listening to them via yamaha mixer and pc sound card. Not bad, but way far off my semi-open and open headphones. I absolutely believe you can get better sq for the same or less money these days. Still I got the classics finally. Just not blown away or too impressed...my superlux copies are as good. Well that just says something about how good the Chinese copies are getting these days. For a quarter of the price. The Germans had better look out, soon the Chinese will be doing planar headphones..they already do damn good iem's. Or pretty much anything audio these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back