DT 770 pro 80 ohm help
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

crazyspike

New Head-Fier
Hey all, names Brian and I could really appreciate the knowledge you guys have to share.

Ive been getting more and more into listening to music over the last year or so and have looked here frequently for advice and most of the time I have found it, but after reading numerous threads I feel im pretty stuck and could really do with a bit of help.

When listening to music through my DT's from Ipod touch or Phone I found that the mids really clipped bad at high volume, bass sounds great by itself as do highs but when a lot is going on together it seems to clip like crazy.

I thought maybe my Phone and ipod were underpowered so I tried my AV receiver which was no better, ( after reading on here that headphone out on receivers is normally crap) I decided to buy a Fiio E7, this cleared up the sound and made things a lot clearer but at reasonably high volume once again I experianced pretty major clipping, yet plugging in a cheapo pair of IEMs and I could crank it through the roof to ear damaging levels, I have now purchased a Mont Blanc E12 thinking maybe the E7 was underpowered to drive these headphones even though they are supposed to work well of the E7.

you guessed it no difference as soon as the volume gets to a certain point, and its not crazy loud my headphones clip like mad.

I have just stripped the DT's down to install a dual cable mod and the dynamat in the cups hoping to god this cures my issue and had a few questions.

1. Id like the cables to be removable so what in your opinion would be the best connections to use 1/4 jacks or Mini XLR's 
2. Should I be buying a 4 core cable like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-Blue-Series-2-Pair-Multicore-/150550560015?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item230d833d0f and wire it to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-Rean-NYS226BG-Straight-Gold-2-Pole-Mono-Tough-Mini-Jack-Connector-/160971310882?pt=UK_Musical_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item257aa34722.

3. as for the earcup wiring as im doing a dual wire mod should I attach the shield to the center pins on both drivers or just the right like was originally wired.

4. also when dismantling my DT's I noticed one of the voice coil strands were touching the middle pin on the side which had all 3 pins soldered, is this bad or does it make no difference.

Please help guys, if none of this works im going to be forced to fork out for new cans and I really hope I dont have too.

Edit:have asked mod to delete the thread I posted in the wrong section.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 7
I've heard the Mogami and Canare quad microphone cables are good for recabling headphones.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 7
I wouldn't count on cables to cure your problem.

First, in case you don't know, just because the volume can be turned up higher on any audio device, doesn't mean it's meant to run clean without distortion up to full volume setting with any music you throw at it.

So are you running line out from your players or double amping off the headphone amp with the E12? If the latter, could easily be your are clipping the headphone amp by turning up the volume too much. Especially if you are EQing your music. If you are boosting any frequencies above normal, you might be making the headphone amp clip in your phone or iPod.

Also be sure to use replaygain (volume leveling) in playback to reduce music that can be recorded at too high a line output.

Finally, could just be that some of the music source you are listening to is poorly recorded and you weren't hearing it before with cheaper headphones. For example, much modern music has been compressed to have poor dynamic range, and the mids can sound pretty crappy at high volume no matter what kind of amplification you give them. Also, if you are using poor quality mp3s, the SQ problems can be more evident at higher volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back