DT 770/ Fisher FA-003 / Shure SRH 940 or 840
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Phyllo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone; 

I've been looking around for sometime at the internet to buy a good pair of closed cans. I narrowed down to these four. Mostly I listen to power metal, symphonic metal, folk, gothic metal. Groups like Epica, Kamelot, Avantasia, Rhapsody, Firewind...
I'd appreciate if you could help me.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 11
The DT-770 is a little slow and over-bassy for those genres, particularly in trying to keep up with double bass.  The SRH-940 has the opposite problem in that it's a little bass-lite, which doesn't help when so many metal albums mix the bass too low to begin with.  The SRH-840 should be better since it has a bit of a mid-bass hump.  Have you considered cans like the HFI-780 or HFI-680, Sennheiser HD-25-1 II, AKG K550, or Denon D2000?  Also, do you have or are you willing to purchase an amp, and how important is comfort, isolation, and your budget?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 11
I am planing to use it on my mp3 player, i prefer not to buy an amp since it is a one more thing to carry in the pocket, and plan to use the headphone on my daily life, on the go one can say... As in budget i can afford up to 200-250$. Of course it should be decently comfortable but i prefer sound quality over comfort. It should not leak, at start i was checking open cans though leakage is a big no. I have heard of senn and denon but it's the first time for "hfi" guys. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 11
Im loving my DT 770 pro 80. Easy to drive and sound great. I mostly listen to rock, metal, grunge (and others like those). I dont think the bass is "slow," what does that even mean anyway? I came from a pair if hd 595 and those sucked for metal and rock. And the 770's are just as comfortable as the 595

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
to buy a good pair of closed cans.

Quote:
Mostly I listen to power metal, symphonic metal, folk, gothic metal. Groups like Epica, Kamelot, Avantasia, Rhapsody, Firewind...

If it was me, i would have said Grado for your genre of music,lol. My little SR325Is is still fantastic with rock/metal...

But, in your list (i don't know the FA-003), the SRH840 is the best for your tastes, imo.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 11
I have looked to grado's and they were my first choice though i pretty much learned that they are unusuable at public because of the leakage.
There is ath m50 too but i have read that dt770 was better in this forum i suppose.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Im loving my DT 770 pro 80. Easy to drive and sound great. I mostly listen to rock, metal, grunge (and others like those). I dont think the bass is "slow," what does that even mean anyway? I came from a pair if hd 595 and those sucked for metal and rock. And the 770's are just as comfortable as the 595

Particularly in music with a lot of quick bass notes, the DT770 can make them sound a little bit behind the rest of the music, due to some combination of slower drivers, the sub-bass emphasis, and the longer decay on each hit.  I notice this on some metal with double bass drumming, for example.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
That's actually the one I have though, but it's still extremely bassy

That is strange, the one I have has an emphasis of a few dB in the sub-bass range, but I would hardly call it extremely bass heavy. In fact, it even has slightly less bass than my DT880 Pro above 100 Hz. Although the latter is newer, so the less worn ear pads perhaps make some difference. Also, the combination of recessed upper bass and boosted sub-bass may give the subjective impression of a more bassy sound. That, and particularly the way bass ports work could explain the "slowness".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back