DT-770 80 Ohm + E11 impressions
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

tcgc

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]Greetings everyone,[/size]

[size=10pt]Just wanted to share my own opinion on how Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 Ohm + FiiO E11 package sounds.[/size]
[size=10pt]First of all, that's my first pair of studio quality circumaural headphones, so I don't know how to differ sound to warm, flat or colorful. Basically, I'll explain my feelings in layman terms :)[/size]

[size=10pt]So, for a quick review of headphones themselves I would say they carry out amazing sound quality for closed-backs and super comfortable as well.[/size]
[size=10pt]I tried some open-back Sennheisers, Shure armatures, low and high Ohm headphones, all of them were lacking lots of what I experienced with these Beyers.[/size]

[size=10pt]Portable devices (iPhone 4s):[/size]
[size=10pt]Well, 80 Ohm version sounds totally OK without an amplifier out of iPhone. But if you know how OEM iPhone 32 Ohm headphones sound like in terms of loudness, well, you are getting 60-70% of that loudness on maximum volume via Beyers DT-770. Meaning that if you like listening to your music at appropriate levels out of portable DAP, then either get 32 Ohm version or a portable amplifier. Even thou I would not recommend listening to DT-770 32 Ohm or 80 Ohm version without an amplifier. You get your music delivered OK but it will be lacking all that spectrum ups and downs, and overall headphones sound flat without an amp (even portable one).[/size]

[size=10pt]FLAC, ALAC and WAV files were tested. I liked how headphones handled male vocals and ethnic instrumental music, particularly "Civilization IV (game) soundtrack" I read so much about how these headphones are bass-machines, well if you compare them to Beats or Yamaha Pro 500, these guys are way heavier in bass, which I particularly don't like since it goes near to abnormal sometimes. But DT-770's deliver nice vibrated bass without going over the board, particularly "Skrillex & Damian Marley - Make It Bun Dem"[/size]

[size=10pt]Overall, I liked how headphones sound at instrumental 24bit records rather bass-heavy dubstep. It’s not a matter of music preference but rather what headphones do deliver best. Also, somehow 90% iPhone setting delivers better sound vs 100%, last one gives bits of distortion, so I do 90% on iPhone, then whatever setting is needed on E11.[/size]

[size=10pt]FiiO E11:[/size]
[size=10pt]Since E11 lets you to go from Low to High gain, from 0 to 8 in volume, from Low to High power (hidden) – I found out that instrumental music sounds fine at High gain but bass heavy tracks as mentioned above can be distorted here and there, Low gain delivers clearer sound in that case. At both states I cranked up the volume to "8" setting which is maximum. 80 Ohm bottlenecks E11 amplifier for instrumental music and have around 20% left for electronic music, I tried Amon Tobin’s “Splinter Cell Remixed” album.[/size]

[size=10pt]PC use:[/size]
[size=10pt]I have ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard which delivers 24/192 but without an amplifier 80 Ohm's reach about 50-60% volume potential with onboard Realtek audio, so I would definetely recommend using a good desktop amplifier. I wonder if I should get a USB DAC or PCI sound card, perhaps I'll go for ASUS Xonar Essence STX.[/size]

[size=10pt]Isolation/Leakage:[/size]
[size=10pt]So, I asked my colleague to put them on and I was about 10 feet / 3 meters away, then the volume on iPhone and E11 was cranked up to maximum - I heard almost nothing. Don't get me wrong, my hearing is fine and these headphones isolate inside and outside noise wonderful. Meaning that you may play your music, games or what have you at night in the same room next to someone sleeping at 80% volume and you have no need to worry about sound leakage at all. And I'm considering 80% with an amplifier as E11, without an amp at all - you may go hundred percent no problem.[/size]

[size=10pt]Comfort:[/size]
[size=10pt]Man, first thing I noticed after putting these phones on - very soft and plushy feeling about pads. Maaan, I love 'em. When you put these fellas on, you have the same feeling as cuddling in a rug but with your ears. These are the most comfortable headphones I tried in past decade. What about strap? Which strap? Funny enough but I reminding myself about the strap when I take headphones off, meaning that I can't even feel it when they are on. [/size][size=10pt]Great job Beyerdynamic.[/size]

[size=10pt]Overall:[/size]
[size=10pt]I definitely recommend using these headphones any day of the week. [/size][size=10pt]Amazing headphones by any term[/size][size=10pt]s.[/size]

P.S. I left them for a burn-in over night, around 10-12 hours of different noises mixed with silence in between. You may find that website on this forum as well.

So far, I have a couple of questions:

1. When I'd like to decrease the volume, I'm using DAP's buttons (say iPhone) but E11 stays at 8 (max. setting), does it really matter which one is better to use?
  2. By now I'm using 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector to connect E11 to iPhone 4s but I ordered L9 LOD already. Will I see any drastic changes with LOD vs 3.5 to 3.5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back