DT 770-80.....No BASS?!!
May 31, 2005 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

meesha

100+ Head-Fier
I finally broke down and bought a pair of these phones expecting some room shaking bass
basshead.gif

But all I got was
frown.gif

Maybe I was expecting too much, but I have a pair of a500's that seem to have more bass than these so called kings of bass.

Am I crazy?! I listened to a variety of music and I do have a sense of the sub bass, but thats about it. They actually seem pretty average overall.

Do I need an amp? I remember some dt 250-80's I borrowed that made my head go
basshead.gif

I guess I expected too much from these?

Help, these were supposed to be my fun cans, but they are not much fun right now.

May 31, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #2 of 13
you need an amp!

May 31, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 13
If you would like great bass without an amp try the Koss portapro for 29.88 at www.jr.com I also got free shipping with the holiday. I have found the Senn. 590 to also have great bass like the 770-80 pro.

May 31, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 13
Sounds like youre starving them of current.. they're dying for an amp....

are you plugging them directly into a soundcard or portable?

Garrett

May 31, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 13
Can you please recommend an amp that is semi portable (I will be bringing it to and from work), that will help bring out the bass and energy that I am searching for?

Also how much can I expect to change from burn in?

Also what do you like to listen to with dt770's?

Right now I am listening to Bjork, trying to get these little bass devils released!

May 31, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 13
right now I am plugging them direct into a componet system and ipod/computer.

Other phones I have are the portapro 2, A500, sr-60, sony V6, shure E2.

I enjoy the sound out of my pp2's but I was looking for a more visceral bass.

OMG- I didn't realize I had so many phones until I just listed them...Damn You Head-Fi!!!!

May 31, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by meesha
Can you please recommend an amp that is semi portable (I will be bringing it to and from work), that will help bring out the bass and energy that I am searching for?

Also how much can I expect to change from burn in?

Also what do you like to listen to with dt770's?

Right now I am listening to Bjork, trying to get these little bass devils released!

Theres more (much more) to them than just bass, so if youre expecting a 20-200 Hz fart cannon youre looking in the wrong place.

I use a PA2. Its a little on the bass heavy side so if you cant get bass out of this tandem, theres something wrong with your source or your recordings arent bass heavy to begin with.

Theyre great for prog-rock/metal, and live recordings in particular. Kick drum and snare tones sound incredible.
When I want
basshead.gif
I play techmaster PEB Bass Computer.

Garrett

May 31, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 13
I drive mine from my ipod sometimes, and while I'm normally pretty skeptical about these things, the difference between amped even with a very modest (cmoy level) amp and unamped is quite amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 13
My 4G iPod didn't drive the 770s to a decent level when I had it. The Karma did better, but going out of a decently powerful source makes them rumble like Ali-v-Foreman in Zaire. The bass is so strong that I was worried that they'd overpower the mids & highs. Well, it doesn't have gobs of mids, but the highs are all there. It just took a little while to adjust to hearing them.

IMO: missing bass=lack of amp

May 31, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 13
Sounds like an RMA on the way....

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back