Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
Jan 26, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #319 of 854
Quote:
I am very tempted by this kit right now.

+10 
biggrin.gif

/U.

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #320 of 854
Quote:
looks so much better in black
nice work tomb

i know its unlikely, but is there a chance of buying just a set of black endplates?

Not right now.  If I sell the ones in stock now and then order a brand new production run, that might be possible.  I can order some extra endplates at that time.

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #322 of 854
I've included a detail for the Zener Diode Tweak on the Torpedo website under "Tweaks:"
TorpedoZenerTweak.gif

This is now standard on the BOM and in the kits, as is the Hammond choke instead of R2.  Note that as Dsavitsk has mentioned, the Zener Tweak also requires R4 and R5 to be ~400R.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #327 of 854
Quote:
I'm not sure, but it didn't seem like my brother's beta Torpedo drove them very well.

Yeah, I saw the question and didn't want to answer it directly having no LCD-2's myself, but since you did ...
wink.gif
  The current Torpedo with a choke and Zener mod is much improved, otherwise I wouldn't have thought it worth the huge investment to anodize, laser-etch, and start offering full kits.  Paired with my pupDAC and HF-2's (sometimes HF-1's), it's all I listen to.

That said, I agree that perhaps the circuit may not be ideal for orthos.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #329 of 854
Quote:
My mistake, I figured the huge current of the torpedo would be great for their low impedance and high demand.

Sorry! I really need to stick to things I know!

Well, I'm basing that on listening to my K701's.  They come about as close to ortho power requirements as any pair of dynamic phones could.  I haven't listened with the Zener mod, though - maybe that changed things.  I'll try tonight and let you all know.
smily_headphones1.gif

The CanLanta Meet in May should answer a lot of this, too, but May is still a long time away.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #330 of 854
My brother's amp does handle his T50RPs just fine, as well as the Fischer Audio FA2? or 3? Can't remember which ones he has. As well as AKG K501s.

That said, this version may do better, sorry haven't been paying attention to what you and Doug have done with it. It's a nice amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back