Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
Apr 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #211 of 854
Form factor is the same. Basically we switched to a new and much nicer power transformer. This required altering the power supply a bit and moving some components around, but we were careful to keep the tubes and all panel components in the same spots, so the case won't change. We are hopeful that this fixes the hum issue -- though, I should reiterate that the hum issue is really less of an issue than I think people believe.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #212 of 854

Quote:
a new and much nicer power transformer

= toroid.
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #213 of 854
I should reiterate that the hum issue is really less of an issue than I think people believe.

I agree that is true for low impedance cans using the low impedance tap, especially grado's. Using high impedance cans on the high impedance tap, like an HD650, makes the issue more pronounced. At least on my build.

Looking forward to seeing the changes.

May 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #216 of 854
The natives are restless... 

And rightly so. The current version, with the lid off, is THE go-to Grado amp for me.

Something about it and the HF-2's. The amp just disappears and the music comes to the forefront, as should be. An almost organic quality to the pairing. A most excellent combination. That much is for sure. 

Makes you wonder how far a parafeed design can take you....

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #218 of 854
Quote:
Form factor is the same. Basically we switched to a new and much nicer power transformer. This required altering the power supply a bit and moving some components around,

Quote:
The new transformer is in hand, along with the PCB's. 

Does the BOM currently appearing on DIYforums.org and the current PCB on beezar reflect the changes to power supply and power transformer Doug is talking about? I just wanted to make sure before I submit an order with Mouser.

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #221 of 854
OK - I got almost everything done except the big stuff, and I'm only waiting on C3.  Mouser backordered it on me but I never noticed because I was concerned about the NJM regulator.  I got that from Dsavitsk, but I have a different C3 on order and it's already shipped.  So, it should only be a couple of more days ...

EDIT: C3 is a 50uf 400V cap on the V2 PCB.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #223 of 854
Quote:
Pics TomB, pics!
The masses, including myself, are starving!
biggrin.gif

I am only waiting on C3, the coupling caps (both in transit), and installing the transformer.  I'm saving the transformer for last, because I didn't want that shotput flexing the board while I still have parts to install.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #224 of 854
I really enjoyed building my first one, it's easily the best amp I've heard in it's price range. Dsavitsk, would a balanced drive option be worthwhile running two of these new boards in parallel... or would it be an act of pointlessness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back