Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
Aug 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #781 of 854
The MiniMAX is being phased out.  I only have 1 kit left.  You will find some that still prefer the MiniMAX for certain things (in this thread, even - just a few posts back).  However, the Torpedo I is superior.*  The parts count is much higher than the Torpedo.  It takes about 3-4 hours just to pack a MiniMAX kit.  I don't have the kind of time it takes to support that anymore.

* Torpedo III may be in the Summit-Fi category with Cinemag OT's.

I see. MiniMAX looked pretty fun imo. I also always liked the look and design of the amp. Never really was a fan of the long bodied torpedo on looks alone, but at the end of the day its also about sound quality. I feel like I've become more superficial over the last few years :/

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #782 of 854
Well, my joy was short lived... now it won't turn on. I don't see any bad connections or anything, but the LEDs won't even come on...

Before I go crazy with the soldering iron, are there any particular joints I should pay attention to? Tube sockets, certain capacitors, etc?

EDIT: I did a quick re-melt on the tube sockets. It came back briefly, then went dark again.

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #783 of 854

The MiniMAX is being phased out.  I only have 1 kit left.  You will find some that still prefer the MiniMAX for certain things (in this thread, even - just a few posts back).  However, the Torpedo I is superior.*  The parts count is much higher than the Torpedo.  It takes about 3-4 hours just to pack a MiniMAX kit.  I don't have the kind of time it takes to support that anymore.

* Torpedo III may be in the Summit-Fi category with Cinemag OT's.

Uh oh!
basshead.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #786 of 854
Aug 8, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #788 of 854
First thing to do is take pictures of both sides of the PCB so we can take a look.

Turns out it wasn't the amp at all. On a whim, I moved the amp to a different outlet and plugged it in and it worked. Turns out my old surge protector's last socket had a wire loose.

And that to my list of things learned: try a different outlet just in case.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #789 of 854

First thing to do is take pictures of both sides of the PCB so we can take a look.

Turns out it wasn't the amp at all. On a whim, I moved the amp to a different outlet and plugged it in and it worked. Turns out my old surge protector's last socket had a wire loose.

Good! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #790 of 854

Close call, lol!

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #791 of 854

Close call, lol!

I know, I got that ice-rock falling into the stomach feeling when I flipped the switch and nothing happened, glad it was something else that broke!

Also, I'm impressed the amp can sit this close to computer without picking up any interference from all the electrical goings-ons inside. I'm guessing the tubes being mostly protected by the aluminum case helps?

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #792 of 854
Honestly?  I think you're lucky on that one (interference).  Put it on the top where the computer power supply is, and you'll probably get a lot. 
wink.gif
  In my experience, it's where the OTs are and how close they are to something that might cause interference.  Luckily, we usually have clearance around the business end of an amp, but if you put it on top of something that has line power or a transformer in proximity to those OT's, they'll pick it up.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #793 of 854
  Honestly?  I think you're lucky on that one (interference).  Put it on the top where the computer power supply is, and you'll probably get a lot. 
wink.gif
  In my experience, it's where the OTs are and how close they are to something that might cause interference.  Luckily, we usually have clearance around the business end of an amp, but if you put it on top of something that has line power or a transformer in proximity to those OT's, they'll pick it up.

Funny you should say that, but the powersupply is on the bottom of the case. It is, however, a small high-efficiency unit, so maybe the higher build quality results in reduced electromagnetic... leakage? Is that the right term? Also the high-voltage parts are towards the rear of the unit, so the OTs are about as far away from those as they are from the amp's own power transformer. My guess is it's elements of both. Either way, I'm glad it's the case, it simplifies my desk layout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back