Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
Nov 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #46 of 854

Quote:
I like the idea. just waiting for the price now, this might be something to keep me busy on the xmas break.

what other headphones did you guys tried it with? AKG K series by any chance?

The amp does very well with many headphones, but admittedly it makes Grados sing and is optimized for those.  It does great with KSC-75's, Senn HD-25's, and Sony V6's, all at the higher impedance setting.  While I don't have a pair (yet!), I can attest to the fact that the Denon 2000's come very close to Grados in having an affinity for the Torpedo.  They sound marvelous through the Torpedo!  I haven't listened extensively with Senn Hd 580/600's, but I will try to do that in the coming days and report back.

I have the K701's and I'm not sure those are as good a match.  If you're familiar with those phones, you must know they are very persnickity about amp choices and in my experience, tend to favor something that can put out huge current impulses on demand (high Class A bias SS or hybrids).

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #47 of 854
I dont have the K701 but I do have the K601 and I know how picky is regarding amplification, actually using the Gilmore Lite and I like them a lot. But as long as it doesnt do terrible things to the sound, which is unlikely, I could try/welcome a new coloration.

and if not, I always have the grados, also the Fischer FA003 which is very similar to grados regarding amplification, they need little power to shine and respond well to warm colorations.

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #48 of 854

Quote:
I dont have the K701 but I do have the K601 and I know how picky is regarding amplification, actually using the Gilmore Lite and I like them a lot. But as long as it doesnt do terrible things to the sound, which is unlikely, I could try/welcome a new coloration.

and if not, I always have the grados, also the Fischer FA003 which is very similar to grados regarding amplification, they need little power to shine and respond well to warm colorations.

Well, I always feel guilty when I suggest that maybe a pair of headphones may not be optimum for a certain amp.  However, in my experience the K701 is right up there with the most persnickity loads for any amp - probably only exceeded by the K1000.  Wonder why AKG does that?  Their other phones are not amplifier-deviants and perform quite well under a number of scenarios - probably your K601 will do alright, too.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #50 of 854

Quote:
Any news on price and availability? thanks

I should have it on sale by the end of the week.  Price for the short kit will be $180 for the PCB, three transformers, and the custom case.  I'm working on the BOM and should have a price soon - it will be fairly trivial.  Everything is in the PCB, transformers, and case.

Dec 5, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #51 of 854

Quote:
I should have it on sale by the end of the week.  Price for the short kit will be $180 for the PCB, three transformers, and the custom case.  I'm working on the BOM and should have a price soon - it will be fairly trivial.  Everything is in the PCB, transformers, and case.

popcorn.gif

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #52 of 854

Quote:

Yeah, I know - every time I make a prediction, it goes south.  My wife decided to put up the Christmas tree and decorations this weekend.
frown.gif
  So that put a damper on my time.

Rest assured, the Torpedo is number 1 on my priority list and Dsavitsk and I are in constant communication about it.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #53 of 854

Quote:
Yeah, I know - every time I make a prediction, it goes south.  My wife decided to put up the Christmas tree and decorations this weekend.
frown.gif
  So that put a damper on my time.

Mine too. I feel yah. Looking forward to this when you do have time to get to it. :)

Dec 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #56 of 854
The short kits and other things are available for pre-order now on Beezar.  There are 29 available.

I will not be shipping until Monday, 12/19/2011.  Hopefully, that will give me time to finish the website.  I'll have a link to a complete BOM by tomorrow night.

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #58 of 854

Quote:
Very nice looking kit guys. 

You wouldn't happen to have any extra end panels would you Tom?

Unfortunately, I don't think so.  I'll try to have extras made in the future, though.

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #59 of 854

Quote:
The short kits and other things are available for pre-order now on Beezar.  There are 29 available.

I will not be shipping until Monday, 12/19/2011.  Hopefully, that will give me time to finish the website.  I'll have a link to a complete BOM by tomorrow night.

atsmile.gif
great news, I'll be placing an order this week for sure. Just need to be deciding what tubes i wish to get with it.

In general does this amp's sound vary a lot with the different tube options you've tried? (not referring to the mysterious noise issue)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back