Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Amp or...
May 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Oberst Oswald

100+ Head-Fier
Since the thread on Head Case doesn't see much action I've been wondering how this amp is coming along.  The Beezar kits are a pleasure to build so my interest in this amp would hold me over as I slowly get all the parts ready for a Beta 22 which is waiting to be built next Winter.   Deciding on Torpedo, the Bottlehead SEX  or a Maple Tree HD kit.  Don't know too much about electronic theory so I ask which of these would be the better match for 25 ohm Denon D-7000? 

May 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 67
It's the L' espressivo
I am not sure "torpedo" is anything official.

I'd like to get more information.. Doesn't even say what tubes they are using, etc.

I also hope that we can buy only the custom parts.. ie output transformer and the PCB.
We'll have to see.

However, I have been interested in these for a while.. Looks interesting.

May 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #6 of 67

Quote:
tomb or dsavitsk, can we get an official name on this project? Is it really the torpedo? That would be most awesome.

"Torpedo" is official.
wink.gif

May 5, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 67
For now, we can't comment on price, availability, or how this project may compare to other projects, or whether it will be a full or partial kit.  All I can say is that, yes, it seems like it is going to be called the Torpedo (against my preference for "Salsiccia", which I invite everyone to use), it is based on L'espressivo designs, we are hoping it will be ready soon, we are trying to keep the price as low as possible, there are both low and high impedance taps on the output transformers, and the overall design is a CCS loaded parafeed with shunt regulated bias.

-d

May 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 67

Quote:
we are trying to keep the price as low as possible

-d

Will there be options to upgrade the amp... such as better transformers, caps, and tubes etc which can be bought from Beezar?  Would be wiser, for me, in the long run to have the better stuff upfront instead of replacing the parts that will "keep the price as low as possible". 

May 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 67

Quote:
Will there be options to upgrade the amp... such as better transformers, caps, and tubes etc which can be bought from Beezar?  Would be wiser, for me, in the long run to have the better stuff upfront instead of replacing the parts that will "keep the price as low as possible". 

I think you're mis-interpreting Dsavitsk's version of "keep the price as low as possible."  It will still have the best components possible, given the nature of the design.  I don't think you'll be disappointed in its stock form - sounds a lot like a high-end SS amp to me right now, except with oodles of prescence/soundstage.  It's nothing like the original prototype I built.  Xfmr upgrades would almost double the price of the amp, with little justification for $2 tubes.  As for the tubes, there are a couple of replacements for the 6J6 that I'll be stocking - mainly the 5964's and 5844's, but both of these are more of the "sounds different" result, rather than "sounds better." 

May 11, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 67
Would either of care to comment on whether this amp would be a good match for 600ohm beyers?
How about AKG K701?

I'm not asking for subjective opinions about synergy. I would just like to know if they have the voltage swing necessary for high impedance cans.
Or the current swing necessary for low impedance cans like the K701.

I think I already know the answer, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

May 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 67

Quote:
Would either of care to comment on whether this amp would be a good match for 600ohm beyers?
How about AKG K701?

Probably it depends on how loud you like to listen (duh) and what the output of your source is. On an amp with an opamp gain stage where you can basically raise the gain to whatever you like, you tend to run out of output current before anything else.  Here, because the gain is fixed by the tube's mu, and due to the nature of what tubes are available (i.e., there is only so much mu you can get for $2), if you need ear shattering volume, you will run out of gain first.  So, a source with a high output will allow you more swing on the amp's output.  That said, I've used it with Beyer T1's (which are 600 ohm) and a source with less than 1Vrms output, and it is plenty loud for me.  As we get closer to release, I'll post all the gain specs, etc, some of which is in that other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back