DS Lite or PSP?
Jun 14, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #61 of 143
Quote:

The screen is not as high as my game boy advance Sp but it was wider.

Are you saying that the screen was not as bright? If it wasn't, it wasn't on maximum brightness. I took my Lite to the store a few weeks ago, to compare it to the backlit SPs. The Lite was a bit brighter.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #62 of 143
Quote:

I would like to recommend the Gamestop brand screen protectors as an excellent cheaper alternative. They are easy to apply and incredibly clear. Best of all there is no shipping to be paid. The protectors are $5 and come with a DS lite stylus.

dood, I already mentioned this in this very post but the Hore I got for less than $9 shipped.

Quote:

The only problem I am having is that I really like my gbasp so darn much

Wait, you know you can play your GBA games on the DS Lite

Also, it could be just me but it seems like the sensitvity of the touch screen has diminished a tiny bit since I got it. Maybe the screens a little oily or something. I think I'm going to take my DSL back and get a new one when my Hori arrives since it has a stuck pixel anyway. Will Walmart give me any (*% for that?

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #63 of 143
mr.malicious
Sorry but you misunderstood me. I said the DS light screen is wider but not as high (tall) of course the screen is very bright with the new back light.
Also the DS light can play the gba newer games but it can't play the older ones like Links awakening the long cartages but can play the short newer ones. The DSL looks like a very nice system. With lots of potential for future stuff.

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #64 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
mr.malicious
Sorry but you misunderstood me. I said the DS light screen is wider but not as high (tall) of course the screen is very bright with the new back light.
Also the DS light can play the gba newer games but it can't play the older ones like Links awakening the long cartages but can play the short newer ones. The DSL looks like a very nice system. With lots of potential for future stuff.

huh?...two different game boy advance cartridge sizes?

Wasn't links awakening for gameboy...not gba. I think thats why it doesn't fit. I think your statement is misleading.

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #65 of 143
megawzrd
I will try to say it right this time. The DSL will play all gba games + the DS games but can't play the old gb games. My gbasp plays all the gba games + the older gb games. ZELDA Links Awakening is the older gb game. Sorry for not being clearer about this.

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #66 of 143
just a question to everyone here

i was going to pick up a ds light, but i thought ot myself, when will i ever use th is?

So my question is to the members of hifi, when do you use ur ds lite/psp?

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #67 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sl300

At my callcentre job on sundays when they are no supervisors and nobody calls in. At the movie theatre before the movie starts. At home whenever I don't feel like PC gaming. I own both a DS Lite and PSP.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #68 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sl300
just a question to everyone here

i was going to pick up a ds light, but i thought ot myself, when will i ever use th is?

Subway and on frequent bus trips / flights. I also ended up using the DS a lot just in my house as well... the games are very good.

Jun 15, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #69 of 143
Quote:

It's taller and wider...

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #70 of 143
I got a DS Lite two days ago and I am definately having fun. The battery life is great- the only time I have had to charge it so far is tonight, using it several hours each day, second darkest setting. It feels durable, sturdy, and is a bit heavier than I imagined. It easily slips into my pocket. The sound quality is quite bad, though what do you expect. The only other downside I have noticed is that GBA paks protrude slightly when inserted. It still fits in my pocket, but not in the protective case for the DS Lite I got. Games I have are New Super Mario Bros, Sonic Rush, Electroplankton and Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA).

Mario is really a great game. The main game provides a great amount of fun (and some nostalgia) with a few difficult parts, though I have not gotten stuck for too long. Some of the minigames that come with it are quite addictive. There is even a simple version of video poker and some other card games which remember your progress when you quit to resume later.

Sonic Rush is more tough to pick up on, and once you do it is a lot of fun- there is a good amount of variety to the game- very interesting, fast 2D levels, 3D boss battles and 3D special stages that use the touch screen- these are especially fun, and difficult.

I find Electroplankton interesting but I can't say it is for everyone. It is very open-ended, there are no objectives, you just have to try to make cool sounds using the abilities of the various plankton. It can be very rewarding when you find something that sounds good, and it becomes easier with experience. It becomes apparent playing this that the mic on the DS is not of good quality and is not very sensitive. It will only pick up your voice if you are within about a foot of the mic (though this can be good if you're in a loud place), and it sounds sort of like it is coming through a phone line- probably sampled at low rate.

Can anyone recommend any good, long RPGs for DS or GBA?

Jun 15, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #71 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
Can anyone recommend any good, long RPGs for DS or GBA?

Golden Sun and it's sequel (gba) were decent, but perhaps a little too long...

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #72 of 143
How is the size of the DSL? Got pretty big hands, and to compare, the gbasp is too small for me.

Also, are any of you using headphones and amps for playing, or just small portable headphones?

Jun 15, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #73 of 143
I don't find the DSL too cramped for me but for someone with big hands it could certainly be a problem- the buttons are pretty close together and when I was first using it I kept accidentally pressing the shoulder buttons, gripping it too tightly. I believe the PSP has more space between the buttons. I solved most issues of cramping just by holding the DSL more openly.

I have so far used KSC75 and HD201 on the headphone jack, no amp, and it distorts with the volume at high and there is some audible hiss when most sounds play, especially apparent with FFIV. I don't know how much hissing is the game itself and how much is the DSL, because there is actually no hiss when no sound is playing. I will also use it with my Supermini-III once it arrives back from repairs. I don't know how much this will improve things, it may even make the problems more apparent.

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #74 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychimp132
I don't find the DSL too cramped for me but for someone with big hands it could certainly be a problem- the buttons are pretty close together and when I was first using it I kept accidentally pressing the shoulder buttons, gripping it too tightly. I believe the PSP has more space between the buttons. I solved most issues of cramping just by holding the DSL more openly.

I have so far used KSC75 and HD201 on the headphone jack, no amp, and it distorts with the volume at high and there is some audible hiss when most sounds play, especially apparent with FFIV. I don't know how much hissing is the game itself and how much is the DSL, because there is actually no hiss when no sound is playing. I will also use it with my Supermini-III once it arrives back from repairs. I don't know how much this will improve things, it may even make the problems more apparent.

Please comment it when you get a chance to check it out.

Jun 15, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #75 of 143
I'm 6'1, so my hands are pretty big, and I find the Lite to be quite comfortable. More comfortable than the original, even. It's just the way it's layed out, I suppose: the buttons and d-pad were moved closer to the hinge, so my hands don't have to be angled sideways to grip them correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back