Drummer beats Elvis and Lennon
Aug 29, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #16 of 43
It's a reflection of the tragic history of rock 'n' roll that only two on that list died of natural causes: Zappa and Cash.
triportsad.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a reflection of the tragic history of rock 'n' roll that only two on that list died of natural causes: Zappa and Cash.
triportsad.gif

I don't know how every one on the list died, but at least one other died of natural causes. Bob Marley died of cancer. I know that a couple at least died in accidents.

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...people that are killed in cold blood clearly deserve a second chance at life more than those who overdose or commit suicide.

I'll second that. It's not that the ODers and suiciders don't deserve another shot, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they died more on their own terms than did people like Lennon (and Gandhi and King Jr. and Jesus and Socrates). So, if the choice is between the former group and the latter then, ceteris paribus, I'd bring the latter back.

Aug 30, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I wonder if they have discussions on when we will eventually join them again."

Huh? Like, whether they try to predict our deaths?

More like anticipation,it is an eventuality after all.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how every one on the list died, but at least one other died of natural causes. Bob Marley died of cancer. I know that a couple at least died in accidents.

OK, and Marley. In any case, death at 36 is still tragic. And oh, accidents aren't "natural causes"
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #26 of 43
This is monumentally silly, on its face.

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll second that. It's not that the ODers and suiciders don't deserve another shot, but I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that they died more on their own terms than did people like Lennon (and Gandhi and King Jr. and Jesus and Socrates). So, if the choice is between the former group and the latter then, ceteris paribus, I'd bring the latter back.

When saying this, you're assuming that they were sealed in a vacuum separate from outside circumstances when they killed themselves or overdosed. I don't want to get into a debate on these forums about free will vs. determinism, but you have to consider the fact that people who kill themselves are often under high pressure and stress, so ultimately they're more of a victim of external factors from their environment and internal factors (genetics) that are both beyond their (or anyone's) control than a proximate cause of their own deaths.

Just food for thought.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonShine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How so?
Led Zeppelin has an astonishingly large and loyal fan base.

That's true, but it's not the point. I just find the whole premise silly. Not to mention the fact that I havn't seen anyone question the methodology of this "survey." If you asked the same number of people the same question at a Beatles convention, I'm reasonably sure you'd get a diferent answer. If you randomized the sample over the entire world, I am absolutely sure you would get a different answer. I mean, it's fine to ask questions like this, and fun to discuss the reletive artistic merits or popularity of different artists. But it's a huge mistake to suggest that a howlingly unscientific "poll" like this has any meaning whatsoever.

Oh, and by the way. You can count me among LedZep's large and loyal fan base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoginasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I miss Eva Cassidy.

As do I. I still think this is a silly thread, but any mention of her name is welcome. Thanks.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by hollabackitsobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so ultimately they're more of a victim of external factors from their environment and internal factors (genetics) that are both beyond their (or anyone's) control than a proximate cause of their own deaths.

Just food for thought.

Every one of us is responsible for being the type of person that we are and shape our life and direction that it takes via our choices,whether we realize it or not.The ones that don't know this call themselves victims,the ones that do are creators.By this fact there is really no such thing as a victim in a pure sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back