Dropped my SR-71, this morning...
May 26, 2005 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Xoton

100+ Head-Fier
BAM, took a chunk out of my hardwood floor. The amp looks fine. I think the volume knob feels a little looser. I'm happy to report that it still sounds great. Tis' a tank!

But I'm concerned about the knob. Not knowing anything about the guts of this thing. What happened there?? Could I just tighten the knob? Or is there something more serious here...perhaps in a "connection" or something that would need some more surgical attention??

There's just a little more play when I jiggle the knob side to side. It's slight mind you. I'm just concerned that maybe a soldering joint is loose--or God-forbid a crack in the board. Again not knowing the mechanics of this thing...can anybody toss out some thoughts?

May 26, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 36
Well if it stops working you could always use it as a hammer. Alos check out
the review the SR-71 at 6moons.com they took it apart and you should be able
to get a good idea of the layout and volume pot connection from there.

May 26, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 36
Point 1: When I saw the title of the thread, my first thought was, "Wonder how big a dent it made in the floor?"
evil_smiley.gif

Point 2: Have you asked Ray? I'm sure he could reassure or caution you as appropriate.

Point 3: The board itself normally has a little play inside the case, at least when the batteries are out. From other comments here, I believe that it's the volume knob that actually holds it in place. If you remove the knob, you can slide the board out the back of the amp. So you might want to do that to check on it, and then just replace the knob and tighten it up again if everything looks OK.

I hope everything is indeed OK with your baby -- given the ruggedness of the amp, though, I wouldn't worry that much. (I'm just waiting from the first post from an SR-71 owner whose life was saved when the amp stopped a bullet. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.
wink.gif
)

May 26, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 36
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

May 26, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 36
so you drop it once, it still works, and now all of a sudden it's a tank? the fan-boy is strong with this one.

May 26, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
so you drop it once, it still works, and now all of a sudden it's a tank? the fan-boy is strong with this one.

Huh? The SR-71s exceptional build quality and sturdiness has been mentioned in thread prior to this one also...it may be a bit early to start throwing around the term "fan boy."
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 36
Yo Dano,

It was a tank before I dropped it too.

cool.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Gotta love military specs, the thing could stand a landmine to be honest with you, im not sure if it could stand nuclear fallout however...

the EMP would take out the chip and make it worthless but the good news is a tube amp will survive the blast.
icon10.gif

the bad news is if it is not battery powered you are still screwed.......
tongue.gif

May 26, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 36
You know if you have nothing nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all. People like that give Head-Fi a bad name...
plainface.gif

May 26, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Gotta love military specs, the thing could stand a landmine to be honest with you, im not sure if it could stand nuclear fallout however...

I always wanted to shoot the sr-71 with a low powered gun and post the video on headfi....

I got a sr-71 free this fall if anyone has a gun and a digi-cam....

May 26, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
I always wanted to shoot the sr-71 with a low powered gun and post the video on headfi....

I got a sr-71 free this fall if anyone has a gun and a digi-cam....

Headphones - death by drowning.
Amp - death by shooting.

I can't wait to find out what your plans are for the Meridian, Billy!
icon10.gif

May 26, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 36
Military tests that i believe sr-71 can pass with flying colors:

drop from substantial height

extreme changes in temperature

extreme shock protection

Tests I would like to see:

resistance to corrosive substances of extreme acidic or base nature (sulfuric acid, lquid nitrogen, hydrogen chloride)

i still want to test nuclear fallout, sorry rickster i bet i'll get at least one channel to still work

ability to remain functional while submerged under water (bhd812 may you do the honors? please record your sr-71 under jacuzzi water in inches, not meters please)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back