Drop x HiFiMAN HE-5XX
Apr 4, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #586 of 589

bagwell359

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally heard these, Quick bass lacking in impact (and anything under 40 Hz) (something like a cross between the HE5se and the HEX v2). Low distortion open sound. I can see how some could prefer this to an unmodified 500, which has a bass that's a bit slow, and has sort of a congested toss in the kitchen sink midrange with a uneven treble.

But then I break out my modified & EQ'd 500 and it crushes the 5XX up one side and down the other.

500 >>>>> 5XX:

Bass - Goes flat to 15 Hz, timbre superior, more real life Q
Mids - 500 is vastly deeper and wider soundstage. Much more body, also much better definition.
Treble - Closer here, all I can say is overtones and breathing by sopranos is caught much better in the 500.

If I went away to my vacation properties for a couple of days (nope, just rentals) the 5XX might make a decent toy to bring along, but to focus on a serious system with high quality recordings? No, not the right tool.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #587 of 589

UMN

Head-Fier
Sorry that you did not enjoy the Drop Hifiman HE-5xx. I am absolutely loving them!

May 2, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #588 of 589

ToniChopper

Previously known as donkek
So is it the general consensus that the Ananda is just marginally better sounding than the 5xx?
u wot m8?

My understanding is more or less the 5XX = Deva.... have you ever heard anyone else praising the Deva as beating some great justover $500 pairs of headphones?
I have never even seen the word "Deva" on this forum until I posted it just now

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #589 of 589

RetroE83

New Head-Fier
I took a slightly different approach to the bluetac mod. Initially, I had the alternative scotch tape method, in which I applied tape around the 6 earpad hooking/fasten points on top of the cups and slightly underneath. With that mod, the only thing that seemed to be improved from stock was the treble, it was soft and clear as my HD580, but everything else was thin (mids and bass were not bodiless, and sort akin to my HD800) sounding. Imaging was very good. That mod was on for 2 months but the headphone was the least used out of my line up, and I was about to sell it until I remodded it.

I decided to remove the tape mod about 2 weeks ago, and use bluetac. Instead of removing the plastic driver cover and applying blue tac underneath and around the circumference, I opted to stuff/cover the air gap between the cover and black mesh screen with blue tac without having to unscrew and remove the cover (see photos below). This produced some desired results vs stock and the tape mod: mid-bass was more pronounced and tactile but not bloated, midrange had more body and warmth, staging and imaging felt more realistic. Treble was the only thing that suffered and was no longer HD580 like imo, it was a bit more splashy, tizzy for lack of better terms; 1 ply toilet paper was enough to tame it and I would say it’s a slight step below in quality to my HD580.
B2F00C0C-1513-4907-99D2-0D9D51E8A495.jpeg
8A9622B7-BBF9-43D3-BE28-7C6FD1DBD51D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread